question aimed at PDN users who make sprite comics

Miguel

Who do I make a sprite comic in Paint.net? I could make a sprite comic in regular paint easily, but paint.net functions differently. Now, here's how I make sprite comics in paint:

step 1) open paint (DUH!)

step2) open the background for the panel in paint

step3) expand image to have up to screen size of white space using the bottom right blue square

step4) open a sprite sheet I'm going to use in that panel and place it in the white space so it doesn't obstruct the BG

step5)set the secondary color to the bg color of the sprite sheet and remove desired sprite from sheet

step6) get rid of rest of sheet to avoid clutter

step7) repeat steps 4-6 until all desired sprites are on screen

step8) put sprites in appropriete spots on bg

step9) type up text for first speaker

step10) use rounded rectangle tool to encase text

step11) repeat steps until all dialouge is typed up and encased

step12) change color of insides of rectangles to an very slightly darker shade of white

step13) place dialouge on bg in appropriete spots relating to speakers

step14) add tails pointing from rectangles to speaker of dialouge in rectangle (preffereably, tails shaped like triangles)

step15) crop image to be tight on bg

step16) repeat steps 1-15 until all panels are completed

step17) open first panel in paint

step18) see step 3

step19) place panels in order, ensuring there is suffecient space between panels

(preffered format: [p]=panel

[p1][p2][p3]

[p4][p5][p6])

step20)change color of space between panels to black (doesn't have to be black)

I need these steps translated from paint to PDN, please. Thanks in advice.

Things I can already do

-Make sprites tansparent so white space doesn't appear on bg, thanks to Hannah's tut

avatar was made by Saevio from FlameZero board

If I ruled the world, rap music would be against the law every where. Especially in America.

I've actually made a few sprite comics in Paint.NET before, though they weren't that good and you would have to dig deep in my Photobucket account to find them (they were Metroid sprite comics). It is much easier to create sprite comics in PDN than Paint, thought Paint.NET's brush is a circle rather than a square (needed to create some sprite comics).

Open Paint.NET

Create a new image with the appropriate resolution

Create a new layer and name it "panels"

Use the Line/Curve and Rectangle tools to create the panels

Open the image with the sprites

Use the magic wand (0 tolerance) to select the background and press Delete to erase it

Select and copy one of the sprites

Back in the comic window, create a new layer called "Sprite Dudes" and paste your sprite dude there

Position it

Repeat the last few steps until you have all your characters where you want them

Create a new layer called "Speech Bubbles"

In that layer, use any of the shape tools to create your speech bubbles

Use the Line/Curve tool to create the speech bubble arrow (or whatever it's called)

Use the text tool to type the text (you may need to resize the speech bubbles)

Do basically the same thing for each pannel

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

I've actually made a few sprite comics in Paint.NET before, though they weren't that good and you would have to dig deep in my Photobucket account to find them (they were Metroid sprite comics). It is much easier to create sprite comics in PDN than Paint, thought Paint.NET's brush is a circle rather than a square (needed to create some sprite comics).

Open Paint.NET

Create a new image with the appropriate resolution

Create a new layer and name it "panels"

Use the Line/Curve and Rectangle tools to create the panels

Open the image with the sprites

Use the magic wand (0 tolerance) to select the background and press Delete to erase it

Select and copy one of the sprites

Back in the comic window, create a new layer called "Sprite Dudes" and paste your sprite dude there

Position it

Repeat the last few steps until you have all your characters where you want them

Create a new layer called "Speech Bubbles"

In that layer, use any of the shape tools to create your speech bubbles

Use the Line/Curve tool to create the speech bubble arrow (or whatever it's called)

Use the text tool to type the text (you may need to resize the speech bubbles)

Do basically the same thing for each panel

A few questions I have about your tutorial.

Resolutions? I don't know bloody potato about that. I only downloaded Paint.net today. Explain, please? (Also, I checked all those bars at the top, and none of them have anything about resolution)

What? you can't make the panels using just lines and curves. You need the background, the sprites, and the dialouge. lines and curves is just making stick figures.

On what layer?

Also, based on how you do it in PDN, against how I do it in paint, it's easier to make Sprite comics in paint then in paint.net.

avatar was made by Saevio from FlameZero board

If I ruled the world, rap music would be against the law every where. Especially in America.

When you open Paint.NET, press the "New image" button, or click File>new. A dialog will show up, in which you can set the resolution. Meaning, the size of your comic.

Alternative: Fill the layer with black (or any other color...) And copy and paste the backgrounds too a new layer.

Just open it, (File>open) It will give you a new tab in the upper right of the screen. From there, paste the characters to their place on the other picture.