Easy/simple tutorials

mvcuk1

Hi All

I work for a Primary School and I would like to know if there are any easy/simple tutorials that some children can do with paint.net. The children are aged between 7 and 10 and are very good with computers.

I am also trying to create a tattoo and then apply the tattoo to an arm. Here is my attempt below let me know if it is any good or if there is anything I can do to improve it?

tattoobc5.th.jpg

It's nicely done.

Maybe curve it a little with some plugin so it looks even more realistic.

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

I'll grab a few links to tuts I think are pretty easy, okay? the ones with a lot of pictures really help.

~EnM

celloSiggy.jpg

Things I think my older kids could do in Paint.NET (they're 6 and 8 ) :

1. Use paintbrush and color palette, and draw a picture. Then run cool effects on the picture, like dents, frosted glass, bulge, etc.

2. Using 2 fun colors, use the clouds effect. Make a new layer, and draw something fun.

3. Open a preexisting picture and run the Shape 3D plugin to make shapes.

4. Follow the "Scratch Its" tutorial http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=5254.

Good luck!

weathersig4withoutrain.png

My three year old has been getting pretty good at PDN. She's able to use the paint brush, has learned to use the bucket fill and filled and outlined shapes. Hasn't been really "getting" filter use though she loves what happens to her drawings when they are applied.

Can you just let the kids experiment? Or is this more of an actual class where there is an objective to what they're doing with PDN?

SamusSig.jpg

I was going to suggest most of the tuts that have already been suggested...but I think, if I were a kid in that age range, that it would be very cool to create an image, and then use MKT's Shape3D to make it into a box, ball, etc.

That's incredible that you'd choose to use PdN to teach graphics editing to children. It's a great program for all ages! *cheesy smile* But all joking aside, I think that's great for name recognition. Ten years from now, they'll remember the open-source alternative.

High five for startin' 'em early!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Thanks for all the replies and I will have a look at all of the tutorial links posted by EvilNeko and Angelaz.

In response to trooper's post, I have let the children experiment with the program within the last few weeks and I am now looking to use paint.net to create something that will show the children how easy/simple graphics editing is.

Also in response to Bob's comments, which plugin do you suggest I use to make the tattoo effect more realistic?

Also in response to Bob's comments, which plugin do you suggest I use to make the tattoo effect more realistic?

I don't know what he will answer, but I would say make it in black, feather it, and then play with layer blending modes (Overlay sounds likely) and Transparency.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

My 2 year old has mastered the pencil tool and the paint brush tool.

Still working on CodeLab however...

:D

If yours picks up CodeLab, I'm sending mine over to play. Something's got to rub off....

SamusSig.jpg

Heh. The only reason my 10 year old doesn't master CodeLab is because I haven't taken the time to show her how to use it.

She's a wiz on PDN otherwise and a fairly decent artist. :D

See? http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com/viewt ... 8296#28296

Excellent work. She is indeed talented.

I'm hoping my little girl's interest in "painting" will give her a good intro into computers and interfaces. She loves PDN.

Note on the PDN interface: So far my 3 y/o has managed to "get" most of the default interface. 'Nuff said. Good job PDN developers.

SamusSig.jpg