Sign in to follow this  
Rick Brewster

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Paint.NET is denied

Something has changed the permissions on that registry key. You should have permission to access it. So just use regedit, right click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, click Permissions, and then Add yourself to the list and check the Full Control's "Allow" checkbox.

There is nothing in our installer that applies or resets a permission to this registry key. It must be inheriting permissions, or there could be some other non-default setting related to Windows Installer that is causing this.

I had this problem installing paint.net on an old windows 2000 machine. Here's how I resolved it:

On the third installation attempt, I opened the registry and saw that there was a paint.net key and that permissions were not granted to Admin or SYSTEM (seems like they should have been inherited. Apparently not, maybe this is a win2k thing.)

When I ok'ed the dialog paint.net removed the key. (It can create and remove but not insert a sub-key??? Go figure. :? ). I then added the key 'manually' and granted full control to Admin and SYSTEM. The intallation run successfully. :D

I had this problem installing paint.net on an old windows 2000 machine. Here's how I resolved it:

On the third installation attempt, I opened the registry and saw that there was a paint.net key and that permissions were not granted to Admin or SYSTEM (seems like they should have been inherited. Apparently not, maybe this is a win2k thing.)

When I ok'ed the dialog paint.net removed the key. (It can create and remove but not insert a sub-key??? Go figure. :? ). I then added the key 'manually' and granted full control to Admin and SYSTEM. The intallation run successfully. :D

Thank you very much, tsorelle, I was just about to post a new thread but found this topic and your reply. Your info. was the remedy I needed. 8)

I am getting something very similar to this but am still getting an error message after trying all the suggestions on this page:

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the registry key"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Paint.NET" is denied.

at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.Win32Error(Int32 errorCode, String str)

at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.CreateSubKey(String subkey, RegistryKeyPermissionCHeck permissionCheck, RegistrySecurity registrySecurity)

at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.CreateSubKey(String subkey)

at PaintDotNet.SetupNgen.MainImpl(String[]args)

at PaintDotNet.SetupNgen.Main(String[]args)

======================

An unhandled exception ('System.UnauthorizedAccessException') occurred in SetupNgen.exe[432]

======================

There is a problem with this Windows installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personel or package vendor.

======================

There was an error while installing Paint.NET. (1603)

I am on XP/sp2 and have tried editing permissions of the registry keys (when they available to), now they are not even showing up to edit even after about 8 installation attempts. Have tried the Windows Install Cleanup app as well.

I am completely baffled why this is happening. Any ideas?