Please, can the Installer add PaintDotNet to system PATH ?

Kasreyn

The company I am working for are interested in using PaintDotNet as a default image editing program. What this comes down to is that MSPaint is already in the system path and can be run by just calling "MSPaint" without path or extension. I would like to see the same thing for PaintDotNet. But the installer would need to add PaintDotNet to the system path.

You can find the path in Control panel -> System -> Advanced -> Environment Variables -> System variables -> Path

Would it be possible to add PaintDotNet to this path ? If not, is there perhaps some other solution ? A registry key that can be read ?

It would help me as a developer tremedously if PaintDotNet was added to the system path by the installer. And it should be in your interest too because it makes it a lot easier to switch over.

Create a shortcut in your Windows folder linking to the Paint.NET executable (copying the one in your Start Menu will be fine).

You can rename the shortcut if you want: 'pdn' will be shorter.

I tried it using Start -> Run and typing the shortcut's name, it works.

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

Actually, creating a link is a circular argument. I would need to know the path to create such a link. However, the installer for Paint.Net could create such a link.

It did not seem like I would get any help with this so I made a quick hack:

sregPath = "SOFTWARE\Classes\Paint.NET.1\shell\edit\command"
 Set oRegistry = GetObject("winmgmts:root\default:StdRegProv")
 If oRegistry.GetStringValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, sregPath, "", sString) = 0 Then
   sString = Mid(sString, 2, Len(sString) - 7)
   Call RunWinApp(sString, sPath)
 Else
   sString = "MSPaint"
   Call RunWinApp(sString, sPath)
 End If