Rants *enter at own risk*

Rant: The majority of people who hate Vista. They always complain about the need for better-performing hardware! Have you people not noticed that when technology advances, we must adjust to fit its needs? That's just like complaining about Blu-Ray requiring more expensive equipment, despite the fact that it holds more than a DVD ever hoped to carry. When the time arrives, I'll gladly buy a completely new computer, and by the time I purchase it, I can get a Quad-core, 4GB RAM, 360GB Hard drive, Windows 7 computer around the neighborhood of $1K.

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

Rant: The majority of people who hate Vista.

Vista haters are a vocal minority. There are more people who don't hate it, or even - heaven forbid - like it. But the ones who don't have more to say ;)

Like, for example, Colorado. It's a purple state. About equal representation dem and rep. But when overhearing political discussions, 90% of the time it's liberal. Only because the conservatives are also more conservative with their talking. :lol: Whether you're in ultra-liberal Boulder or moderate Colorado Springs.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Augghh! I spent hours building a site in HTML and CSS, and it looked fine. That is until I uploaded it to the web--some strange way that completely messed it up. :evil: Now I've posted in 2 tech support forums waiting for a reply.

:AddNoise: :AddNoise: :AddNoise: 1800th Post! :AddNoise: :AddNoise: :AddNoise:

tagflowsig.png

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

I am a disco dancer. +_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

Augghh! I spent hours building a site in HTML and CSS, and it looked fine. That is until I uploaded it to the web--some strange way that completely messed it up. :evil: Now I've posted in 2 tech support forums waiting for a reply.

:AddNoise: :AddNoise: :AddNoise: 1800th Post! :AddNoise: :AddNoise: :AddNoise:

It looks different in the browser viewing online locally?

I know this is not a tech support forum but here is a hint: When you view the source code locally and online do they look the same?

KaHuc.png

My graphics card is on its last breath. It decided today that it doesn't want to work in DirectX fullscreen mode anymore. All DX games have to be windowed now. For some of my games that don't have a manually-editable config file, that means I can't play them at all. Bleargh.

Ah well, I'll be buying a nice DX10 card next, then.

Make sure you've used relative paths for all links, resources, etc.

For example, if you have the following directory tree:

index.html

pages

--page1.html

--page2.html

images

--header.gif

--background.jpg

--donatebuttonhover.png

Then a link in index.html that pointed to page1.html would have to be

"pages/page1.html"

not

"C:\Users\Me\Desktop\Website\pages\page1.html"

Also, what sabrown said about some hosts injecting their own HTML into your files is fairly common. Especially on free sites like Angelfire.

xZYt6wl.png

Also make note of the current directory. Take pyro's example.

A link to index.html in the file page1.html has to either be:

http://yoursite.ex/

http://yoursite.ex/index.html

/index.html

If you use the last one, which is most common, and leave out the /, then it will look for index.html in page1's directory, instead of looking in the root where index.html is. This applies to all file linking.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

[ dA Paint.NET Chat :: Yata on dA ]

Rant: I'm really getting tired of people abusing the Spoiler tag.

I'm about ready to remove it.

Give it a couple days. Hopefully by then the "OMG IT'S NEW! I HAVE TO TRY IT NOW!" nonsense dies off soon.

xZYt6wl.png

@BoltBait: I am inclined to agree with you. It's getting used way more than it has to. Maybe if the table was a color other than bloody potato red...

BTW, I'm okay with your use of it, Yata. Witty if you ask me :)

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

Yay! Thanks to the friendly folk at techsupportforum.com, my problem is resolved. The problem was that the filename was "Portalimg1.png" but I wrote portalimg1.png with the p not capitalized. So I just renamed the png to lowercase the p and it worked.

Oh wait...I need a rant...

RANT: "being shot in the head repeatedly by a swearing, amazingly skilled 15 year old boy who plays the game for 8 hours every day" Have a cookie if you know where that quote is from.

tagflowsig.png

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

I am a disco dancer. +_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

@BoltBait: I am inclined to agree with you. It's getting used way more than it has to. Maybe if the table was a color other than bloody potato red...

If I ever create a startup to compete against Crayola.... :twisted:

xZYt6wl.png

Pyrocolor?

Okay, so what would the other colors be named?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I agree, I think a less obtrusive color would be nice. But why not just make it match the [ quote] and [ code] tags? Maybe we could even have a field that would copy information into the header, such as with

THIS.[/b]"]

Eh? Eh?

@Mike: Bloody potato is for everyone.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

@Mike: Bloody potato is for everyone.

Just PM d.a your address, and he will go buy a potato, punch the cashier's face, collect some of the bloodflow from his/her nose, and ship you the potato promptly. Cash on delivery. 3 easy payments of $6 and one really difficult one of a random amount, in a random currency.

xZYt6wl.png

I'll do it, too.

I'll do it, too.

Scary.

Rant: When creating a random color, it's always too bloody bright! So then I tried a random color in HSV mode. Now they're all bloody dark! Creating an equal balance of color is a RPitA.

EDIT: Does anyone have ideas for creating truly random colors?

xZYt6wl.png

Well, with a computer, there's no such thing as true randomness...

But these can't even be classified as pseudo random, as at least pseudo-randomness, if displayed in any visual form such as a graph, will at least have the appearance of randomness. But these are clearly biased in one direction or another.

xZYt6wl.png

Have it choose six randomly-selected digits of pi, randomly reverse it or not, and then randomly decide (on each digit) whether or not to replace the digit with a randomly-selected letter from A-F. Then have it randomly reverse that or not, randomly select a random six-digit number from it (looping back from 000000 to FFFFFF), and randomly reverse that or not.

Suitably pseudorandom?