Rainshadow

Rants *enter at own risk*

Why are people so upset over words? They're just words. "Offensive" or not they can't hurt you.

Words are the most powerful things on this planet. With words are entire nations lifted up and put down. It was words that united the disenfranchised British colonists to sign declaration of cessation and independence from the greatest superpower on the planet knowing that the odds of their victory were so low, they were almost negative.

Words have also started every war that has ever been fought. Archduke Franz Ferdinand was assassinated for his views, kicking off World War I. World War II was instigated by the rhetoric by the charismatic Adolf Hitler. The American Civil War began because of the words of one Abraham Lincoln. The list goes on.

Saying that words can't hurt you is like saying that bullets can't hurt you. Sure, when used in a safe manner, they're harmless. But when they're given force and direction, they stay. They stick. And they never let go of your back.

Words make some of the most painful agony ever felt, and some of the sweetest softness.

I disagree with you; they're not "just" anything.

Why are people so upset over words? They're just words. "Offensive" or not they can't hurt you.

Words are the most powerful things on this planet. With words are entire nations lifted up and put down. It was words that united the disenfranchised British colonists to sign declaration of cessation and independence from the greatest superpower on the planet knowing that the odds of their victory were so low, they were almost negative.

Words have also started every war that has ever been fought. Archduke Franz Ferdinand was assassinated for his views, kicking off World War I. World War II was instigated by the rhetoric by the charismatic Adolf Hitler. The American Civil War began because of the words of one Abraham Lincoln. The list goes on.

Saying that words can't hurt you is like saying that bullets can't hurt you. Sure, when used in a safe manner, they're harmless. But when they're given force and direction, they stay. They stick. And they never let go of your back.

Words make some of the most painful agony ever felt, and some of the sweetest softness.

QFT

I am actually a bit sad about the last like 2000 posts here .... this was an great forum but then all post became less quality till now .... we are just yelling at everybody .....i think 5/10 persons don't read the rules....Forum are for your amusement, this is now getting un-amusing ....

Sorry .. Bugster

Thank You. You are the smartest person on this board!

Thank You. You are the smartest person on this board!

Again , QFT

If I had gotten here before d.a. said that I would have said the same thing. Ever hear the saying "The pen is mightier than the sword."? Well, there's truth behind that.

Humans thrive on communication. In the modern world, how do we communicate? Words, in all it's forms. You can't go up to someone, say some terrible slur to them, and then say "Oh, it's just a word. Don't be upset, but I'm going to say it to you again.".

Words, literature, etc are how we live. They can heal and they can hurt (As david said) and should be used accordingly.

I'm not starting any personal wars here, and note the not, but, Kreeos, you seem to be a large portion of all of these negative arguments. Cool down. Not everything has to be a debate. You have the right to disagree and debate what you think, but use it in moderation man. This is insanity in comparison to how the forum usually is; kind, friendly, and without tension.

On a slightly happier note:

Thanks for locking the off-topic thread, d.a.

ANGRY RANT: I'm extremely, well, lets say I'm not very happy at all.

What has happened in the off-topic thread here can't even be described as idiotic, pathetic, stupid, ignoarant or any other term of un-satisfactory word. I mean, people at a forum which I go to which often has swears in it can at least be mature about it, unlike what has happened here!

I mean, while debate is all good, when the arguement comes to a slinging match rather than an actual debate is what annoys me.

Now onto what has happened to half the overflow being locked. What. The. Hell!

I actually have to say I'm disgraced to have came back on here to check what has happened. I'm disappointed with a lot of people here.

And to end off, those who have been troublemaking, you've been extremely lucky. I'm quite honestly shocked no-one has been banned.

I don't think I'll be coming back here in a while.

Meh, things happen. The point is to live and learn.

One thing I have learnt is that how immature some people can be. Namely the one person who started off this ENTIRE arguement.

But true, I guess your right.

my rant:a wallpaper i made makes icons have borders around the side of the icon :( ....anyone know why this is happening though?

It has to be a JPEG.

my rant:a wallpaper i made makes icons have borders around the side of the icon :( ....anyone know why this is happening though?

It has to be a JPEG.

now someone tells me! anyway thanks, i spent about an hour starting it and when i tested it out it sucked so i didnt save all the stuff is don to it :D

The words themselves didn't actually do anything. It's HOW they were used and who was saying them that has the impact. Just going up to someone and saying the word "cookie" isn't going to make them go out and buy cookies (unless they can't think for themselves or have really low will power).

Just going up to someone and saying the word "cookie" isn't going to make them go out and buy cookies (unless they can't think for themselves or have really low will power).

Unless there was a food shortage and the person provoked had just forgotten.

But it still has that power for those people. And there are words with still greater power.

Like I said, the words themselves aren't to blame. It's how people interperet them. Humanity has this horrendous ability to see/hear what they want to see/hear. Innocent comments are taken the wrong way all the time. Regardless of what word is spoken/typed the person on the receiving end can turn it into whatever they want given the right motivation.

@sabrown100

That's what I call extrenuating circumstances ;)

But a lot of times, it's not the interpretation that's at fault, but the person saying the word in the first place.

But a lot of times, it's not the interpretation that's at fault, but the person saying the word in the first place.

True. But a lot of people seem to neglect the fact that words that may be considered offensive can, especially on the internet, take on radically different meanings which are not offensive at all. People tend to jump to conclusions before they get in all the facts.

Innocent comments are taken the wrong way all the time.
On a family-friendly forum, cursing is not innocent, by any means.
...words that may be considered offensive can, especially on the internet, take on radically different meanings which are not offensive at all. People tend to jump to conclusions before they get in all the facts.
So, perhaps you should consider curbing your language, take your own advice and not write words which could be considered offensive. Consideration and forward thinking costs nothing.

Once again, I have nothing against you, I'm just placing my two pence on the table.

My rant:

I hate political correctness. Why should I drastically change my thought and speach patterns because one word practically brings someone to tears. Euphamisms suck...

@Myrddin

I was not referring to cursing.

My rant:

I hate political correctness. Why should I drastically change my thought and speach patterns because one word practically brings someone to tears. Euphamisms suck...

Who's saying you should change your thought patterns? Think however you like. But polite discourse requires you to write with kindness and without inflammatory remarks.

And Yata is correct. This needs to be dropped.

Please, I'm begging you people, drop it.

I'm not arguing about what you think I'm arguing about.

See what I mean about jumping to conclusions people?

Please, I'm begging you people, drop it.

I'm not arguing about what you think I'm arguing about.

See what I mean about jumping to conclusions people?

You just proved your own point, as Yata might not have been thinking about what you think he was thinking about.