Rainshadow

Rants *enter at own risk*

I think I'll be OK. I'll be retiring from the company, but may still get a part time job or something. It's either that or move across country to another facility. Not in the mood for that anymore.

22 hours ago, dipstick said:

but I think it's time to throw in the towel instead of trying something new....

A chance to explore new horizons ?  

Giving up the Forestry career seemed like the worst thing ever, now I'm doing things I'd never have done if I was stuck in a processor or on a saw.

I miss the laugh with the lads, but I don't miss the weather

You're a hands on guy,  there's decent money to be made buying, preparing and flipping cars ... or a little backyard garage ?

How one person can affect the lives of many - at a great expense!  We live in a 15 floor condo block:

Islands-West.png

On Thursday some bright spark, on the 11th floor (we are on the 8th) was rinsing out their swimming apparel, in a wash basin, and left the tap running for hours!  Result?  They flooded 5 floors, including ours.  More damage was done than Hurricane Irma, which hit us in 2017  😨 they are still totting up what the cost of the clean up will be 😱

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm sorry to hear that! I hope not much more than the carpet was damaged. Too bad the management can't relocate that brain child to a lower pad.

• Like 1

@Pixey ... I feel for you,  hope you get it sorted as soon as.  Hopefully the insurance company won't drag their heels ... definitely an act of stupidity rather than an act of god 

• Like 1

So sorry to hear that @Pixey  Hope the damage isn't too extensive.  I just couldn't imagine walking away, leaving the water running... 😨

On 4/7/2019 at 12:56 AM, Pixey said:

How one person can affect the lives of many - at a great expense!  We live in a 15 floor condo block:

Islands-West.png

On Thursday some bright spark, on the 11th floor (we are on the 8th) was rinsing out their swimming apparel, in a wash basin, and left the tap running for hours!  Result?  They flooded 5 floors, including ours.  More damage was done than Hurricane Irma, which hit us in 2017  😨 they are still totting up what the cost of the clean up will be 😱

Oh no! that really sux. Just what you need - NOT! 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2019 at 11:53 PM, null54 said:

Mozilla forgot to renew a certificate, so now all Firefox add-ons are disabled. ☹️

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1548973

I have given up on Firefox.  I have noticed how it has become increasingly bloated and the speed of it has suffered greatly.  I finally bit the bullet and downloaded Chrome.  I have been using it ever since.

Here's an article from 2017 that highlighted the issue with Firefox.

On 5/5/2019 at 11:27 AM, TrevorOutlaw said:

I have given up on Firefox.  I have noticed how it has become increasingly bloated and the speed of it has suffered greatly.  I finally bit the bullet and downloaded Chrome.  I have been using it ever since.

Here's an article from 2017 that highlighted the issue with Firefox.

I actually use Chromium extensively since I'm running Linux. Love it and haven't used FireFox in a few years now....

Well, it's official, I lost my job and am currently in pre-retirement mode at the moment. Don't feel too bad for me however, I should be OK as I've planned well so far....

We'll see what life has in store for me next though.

Edited by dipstick
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dipstick said:

Well, it's official, I lost my job and am currently in pre-retirement mode at the moment.

You're not the only one. :( 

I recently found out that my job is being outsourced to India.

I have 3 weeks to find another job at Intel or I'll be forced to retire.  AND, in the mean time, I have to train my replacement who barely speaks English and can't program themselves out of a wet paper bag... :mad:

(I've had 1 interview, but no luck so far finding another position... because for every job I apply for, I'm up against 100 other people that were cut at the same time as me.  Seriously, Intel just cut 28% of their IT department, worldwide.  And, they'll probably do it again next year once everyone over in India is trained.)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

... I have to train my replacement who barely speaks English and can't program themselves out of a wet paper bag...

How does a company replace an employee with someone else who's not even qualified for the position?

Sure they'll be paying him a lot less, but you get what you pay for.

The executives at Intel must be smoking "the good stuff".

• Like 1

I tried to tell them... but, they don't listen.

BTW, they're not even replacing me with an employee.  All the new people are contractors.  They get 3 in India for the cost of 1 here.

I'm sure someone higher up than me will get a big fat bonus while I'm out looking for a job.

I here ya. It seems employees or going away replaced by contract workers. This seems to be the trend nowadays, no wonder all our personal information is constantly being compromised. Can anything really be secure anymore with unknown sources watching over the information?

While testing my WebP FileType I discovered that the metadata saving code has never worked due to a .NET Framework issue.

Because the framework cannot natively marshal a structure containing variable length arrays, the C++ code would read garbage instead of the correct metadata.

I have no idea why that never caused a crash. 😕

Fortunately, this issue is relatively easy to fix by using a custom marshaler.

:(  So sorry to hear about @dipstick and @BoltBait losing their jobs. That can be very stressful.  Good Luck to both of you <3

On 5/11/2019 at 3:45 PM, BoltBait said:

You're not the only one. :( 

I recently found out that my job is being outsourced to India.

I have 3 weeks to find another job at Intel or I'll be forced to retire.  AND, in the mean time, I have to train my replacement who barely speaks English and can't program themselves out of a wet paper bag... :mad:

(I've had 1 interview, but no luck so far finding another position... because for every job I apply for, I'm up against 100 other people that were cut at the same time as me.  Seriously, Intel just cut 28% of their IT department, worldwide.  And, they'll probably do it again next year once everyone over in India is trained.)

Oh my gosh that's awful, I'm so sorry 😥! This stuff never works out well for the company doing the outsourcing, either. It just pulls them further in the direction of trying to penny pinch on everything. Employees are assets to be invested in, not cost centers to be optimized 😠

• Like 3

Aw, man, that really sux. It is hard everywhere. The rich keep getting richer. 

I hope you find something much better, both of you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@BoltBait and @dipstick ... sorry to read that guys.  Too many firms expect 'staff loyalty' but never reciprocate.

Hopefully something turns up for you guys in your respective fields.  I'll keep the fingers I've got left crossed.

On 5/12/2019 at 1:24 AM, dipstick said:

Can anything really be secure anymore with unknown sources watching over the information?

Not so sure it's safe when known sources are looking after it.

My daughter went for a job interview with the Welsh Ambulance Service and the interviewer left hers and 9 other candidates information on a train.

Copies of birth certificates, driving licences, bank statements, DBS checks and National Insurance numbers

Very professional

• Like 1