Rainshadow

Rants *enter at own risk*

But what do they taste like?

I bet something like that eats you not the other way around.  I honestly think I'd wet myself if I woke up and one of those was on the pillow

In Australia, EVERYTHING is trying to kill you.

Especially the Drop Bears! 

New rant: I love different cultures but lack of respect for a teacher & a woman is not acceptable in any language. Sad when the first time you meet someone from a different country & they behave so badly. Sadder still that my tax dollars help to support him. 

My rant: the bare beginnings of carpal tunnel syndrome.

Ooh, that sucks...as a pianist, I fear the chance of developing it myself later on in life.

Ooh, that sucks...as a pianist, I fear the chance of developing it myself later on in life.

Too true, it does suck. As a keyboard player I have developed it, an op looks like the next step.

I had it once. It was extremely painful.

I switched to an ergo keyboard and am fine now. No surgery necessary.

I just don't ever use a straight keyboard for more than 5 minutes.

Anything regarding the hands sucks.  And those us who have use of them, take them for granted.  

I've just been diagnosed with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibration_white_finger'> HAVS  Not what I wanted on top of the Fibro'

That was a fun call to the insurance company ... and another trip to London to be assessed by one of their 'experts' before they pay out

Have you tried a wrist splint and corticosteroid injections ?

Massage & comfrey cream/oil worked wonders for me. Guess we are all different but we all know that pain.

Welshy that really does suck. 

I'm rocking the wrist brace right now.  It's the very barest beginnings of the issue for me, so they don't think I need the injections just yet.  I'm a web dev, so I don't want to take any chances.  But I am considering putting spikes on the side of the splint like on Batman's gauntlets...

batman-batarangs.jpg

• Upvote 1

But I am considering putting spikes on the side of the splint like on Batman's gauntlets...

... be careful if you wipe your forehead with your forearm ;)

Here it is. The rant you were all waiting for: dat flippin' US government

Seriously, though. What the <long chain of expletives not appropriate even for a sailor>.

We're shutting down the US government over what? We're putting off almost a million people's jobs because why? We're endangering the US economy, and therefore the world economy, because we refuse to resolve our differences!? Come now. There are millions of preschoolers who have mastered this apparently complex technique called "negotiating." My grandma's social security is on the line, yet a bunch of politicians are sitting around sulking and pouting like two-year-olds? I know this is a serious bill you have a disagreement over, but refusing even to talk to each other?!

On a somewhat related note, why the <bleep> do we have these stupid political parties, anyways? Reading the news, that's pretty much where all this godforsaken conflict is rooted. We spew so much trash at each other for siding with the opposite political party it's like we're in a cold civil war. So much for being the "United" States...

Gotta love politics.

• Upvote 1

Sad state of affairs 'noob. Very sad. 

My beloved ratty Cyd died today. Not a big deal in the scheme of things but I am very sad to lose her. No more chasing her fat little tush down the hallway or playing hide & seek or kisses or hubby bringing her to me in the mornings in bed for snuggles, stealing my food & stashing it in hard to find places, seeing her sweet face as she grips the bars of her cage asking to be let out to play. 

Sorry...this a rant page but my steam is gone.

Oh Barbie - that's such sad news. Our pets are more than just animals; they are integral parts of our families. Ratty was so lucky to have experienced your love.

My washing machine went out... and I don't have 500-700 dollars to buy a new one. :(

Now to scrape some cash together and go bargain shopping.

^^I am on my 3rd washing machine - never bought one in my life!
(ones people wanted disposed of and latest one  - inherited)

I'm sure you have considered the following, but just in case.
And I'm certainly not wanting to belittle or cause offense but I do know about being skint! (I'm ok for the moment though).

1. What exactly has broken on the current one? - rule out the simple stuff first - loose electrical connections/fuses, blocked outlet impeller/hoses (hair and crud), duff motor (brushes worn?), blocked inlet hoses, bearings .etc etc. - is it viable to replace the broken part?
If it's the electronics then probably not.
There are washing machine manuals ('Haynes' in the uk) -  like you get for cars. I'm sure the internet has better options.
Think of it as a logical problem - possibly something worth 50c has broken  costing you  500 dollars.

If not ...

2. Second-hand machines often have years of life and zero value - all those rich people getting new kitchen fittings + all the house clearances of dead people. (careful you don't want a haunted one!).

Not a pleasant job to repair them, true, but very satisfying if you do.(don't put your back out moving it!)

Best of luck - If I am pointing out the obvious, forgive me - just trying to save you some hard earnt!

Rant: Vista - no 4 4 me.

I'm just not the "handy" type of person.

It goes through all the cycles, it just doesn't spin (or move, for that matter). So, I imagine it is the main drive belt? It is really old. So, I'd LIKE to get a front loader as a replacement.

I'm just bummed out because my car broke down last month and my reserve account is now empty.

Hey - you can write a decent chess program! - some things can be repaired, some things can't.

First stop - look for a way to clean the outlet impeller - if it can't drain it may not spin. Some have easy access, some don't have any access at all! - look for a way of removing, probably a front panel, to see something with a hose on each end and a motor (or drive) at the back - take it to bits and clean it (most likely a piece of wire blocking the impeller rotating) - easy thing to try first. (put a bucket under the removed hoses)

If it's the belt , take the back off and see if any belts are broken - if you can't narrow it down to one thing then it's probably more trouble than it's worth -  but always worth a look - you'll be dumping it anyway if it's broken. Just don't electrocute yourself trying! (or flood the kitchen). And don't overlook the obvious too - kinked outlet hose ? (longshot).

Sadly, not all things can be repaired and newer things are built to break - that's how they sell new ones.

Regarding cars - I'm amazed at the old banger I bought for £400, 6 years ago (150k miles on the clock) - it just keeps working and I (almost) never service it - Skoda - brilliant - better than any British car!!!

Anyway best of luck - but do have a go - it's a machine - you are human - you should win! (unless there's a midget hiding in the back, making the moves   ;) )

Adding onto Red Ochre's tips ... sometimes stuff can get wrapped around the splines on the pump motor (especially when you've got kids who don't empty their pockets)

I've found a hairclip and a hair bobble stopping mine working and the symptoms were the same as you're describing

... just remember to check the spring clamp is tight/ straight on the hose after - or else you get a mess like my stupidity caused.  One working washing machine = ruined laminate flooring 

BB is not the "handy" type so we may have to go fix it for him :D

Mine screeches at me on the first empty cycle. We lube it & it is happy for a bit, then it goes again. It is a real pain to get to for lubing it so I have given up. I hope it gives up the ghost soon so I can get a front loader too. Trouble is I have 2 of these machines. 1 I inherited from my Mum. Having 2 machines on the go is great for flying through the washing on Saturday mornings. 

'

It has been screeching like this for about 4 years...really cannot complain too much. :D

My wife and I have year-old Samsung front loaders.  You're almost to the season where they get cheap.  :-)  Best Buy usually has a big sale leading up to Black Friday.

My mom and dad used to have a really old washer that would literally shake itself across the floor during the spin cycle.  Kind of terrifying.

Ugghhh... I really don't like my American Lit. class right now... My professor gave us a midterm exam with two questions on it. Each question has a minimum requirement of 600 words. So, it's basically like having to write two papers. By Monday. And I hate writing. :black: