Rainshadow

Rants *enter at own risk*

A convertible super car ... a pose or an accident waiting to happen ?  Both ? Plus too many faults to justify the price tag.  When you pay that money you don't want a gear box that feels like it's got bricks in it

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-XUODKSblBB4/Tgnm1isBLXI/AAAAAAAAAUc/nzN8x2z6JvI/s640/nissan-gt-r-by-wald-international.jpg'> This eats the Spyder for me 

My son thinks it's unfair he has to pay his own mobile phone contract now he's working, yet he can buy a £150 pair of football boots and spend £100 on a night out all in the same day.  

Priorities.  I wish I was 18 again ... 

Edited by welshblue

I think setting several short-term, realistic goals is a better motivator than dreaming of something you unconsciously know is extremely unlikely to happen. That's not to say you should give up on those dreams. I dream of being a professor of fine art and a well-known artist and holding exhibitions and living in Helsinki in an old 19th century penthouse apartment, but I'm taking small steps at a time to get to where I want to be, where I will be in the future. Achieving those small steps keep the passion alive; otherwise I'd just be lost.

Edited by Kemaru

The drunk woman who has rung my house 3 times in half an hour with a wrong number - I dare you to do it again.  

I've got my referees whistle on stand by ...

RE: The above post.  Turns out it wasn't a drunk woman after all.  But a confused lil' old woman.  Whe she rang again Monday I gave her both barrels of my sometimes not so nice tongue.  

I didn't feel so good yesterday when her daughter rang to apologise after checking her mother's call list and explained the situation.  

Here's a worthwhile rant  ... my friend had his http://www.autotrader.co.uk/articleresources/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/oldfocusexteriorcover.jpg'>Ford Focus ST keyed from arse to front.

After checking his neighbour's CCTV camera then confronting the culprit, guess who's been charged with assault and which one received a police caution.  

And they wonder why Britain is going to the dogs.  He should have put his hands in the car door and had something worthwhile to be charged with

Edited by welshblue

Rant: Hard drives. I'm trying to temporarily move stuff from my old Ubuntu hard drive to another one so I can format it (it's ext4 which doesn't play well with Windows and Mac). Such a pain in the donkey. Not to mention I have to partition the disk into one NTFS-partition and another for Mac's preferred file system.

And for some reason, I get a weird alert that prevents me from copying folders directly so I have to compress my files into .zips first, which takes an excruciatingly long time, before moving the files onto the bigger hdd... Why is everything so difficult?

Wind storms :(

No power for two days.  Day three and there is still no water.

Took me three days just to clear two boundary fences.  The worst one is a 500m boundary which used to have a shelterbelt alongside it.  Now it has half a shelterbelt.  Guess who has our neighbors trees lying in all our paddocks?

If there is an upside - there are so many trees down I'll never need to worry about firewood again.

The wind is a powerful and scary element ... glad everybody is OK mate.  

... and no zombies strolling around after 2 days of near apocalyptic conditions  :P 

Any damage to property from your neighbour's trees ?  Apart from fences of course (Often wondered if atheists get insurance payouts for 'acts of god' ...)

Out of curiosity, as a non-professional do you need certification across there to use a chainsaw ?

(One of my biggest bugbears across here is that we've got to be highly certified/ safety-geared up as forestry contractors, yet anyone can walk in off the streets and buy/ go to use a chainsaw ... yet we get fined if the certificates aren't up to date or one item of safety gear missing)

EER, sympathies mate. Hope it all gets back to normal pronto. Here I was grizzling about our winds. 

Welshy, I remember reading an article somewhere that said natural disasters were neither natural or "an act of God" since mankind has managed to mess with the natural order of things to create floods in one area & drought in another by wholesale destruction of forests, too many flatulent cattle & pollution. Believers would say that God would not be so nasty (I'd like to think so too) as to wreak such havoc upon the beings that he created in his likeness. This would make an interesting court case - should atheists get insurance payouts & would they agree that it was an act of God? We could sit in the public gallery with a thermos & some sandwiches :P & peanuts :P :P

Chainsaws can be sold & used by anyone over here but if you rely on it as a profession - same - you need certification etc. Unfair!

My rant:

Anyone can be a paid carer for someone whether they have the skills or not. Our government shells out our hard earned $$ to people who act as carers when they are not qualified in any capacity & some of them I would not let them care for a stuffed toy. If I want a job in a nursing home, I need quals with hands-on experience which they have now upped from 90 hours to 200 hours. Yet to be a carer for a private person or family member, the local medico fills in a form to say the person needs a carer & that is that. I've seen carers riding around on the mobility aids the infirm person is meant to be using, to get to the local pub. 

Unrant: 2 weeks paid leave that I applied for! First time in my entire life I get paid holidays that were not compulsory & chosen by someone else. Awesome!!

Chainsaws: any fool can use one here. Remarkably the highest number of deaths in industry is probably logging. So the commercial operators are less safe than us weekend warriors. Local dealer had sold 14 chainsaws by midmorning following the storm.

No damage except fences. Dang this is going to take a long time to clean up :(

@Barbie: Here we pay carers the adult minimum wage. It draws in immigrants and the unskilled yet we expect them to take care of our elderly and disabled like we orselves would a loved one. Low wages and high standards seem to be sending very different signals.

We could sit in the public gallery with a thermos & some sandwiches :P & peanuts :P :P

Dry roasted or chilli nuts please ;) And enjoy your holiday

So the commercial operators are less safe than us weekend warriors.

Nah.  :evillaugh:  You honestly think that mate ??

A decent operator professionally will spend at least 36 hours in a 5 day week on a saw so the percentage is higher risk for a kick-back etc ...

Most accidents are extraction machinery or falling tree based - it doesn't make the 'weekend warrior' safer, just their exposure rate to the dangers all around is less.  

Most can't even put the proper angle on a chain when sharpening it - and that's with a guide.  How many weekend warriors could put a 120 foot tree weighing 10 tonne within a foot of where they want it without killing themselves ...  and the friends of mine either killed or seriously injured, were never unsafe - just unlucky

Carers ... most have got my utmost respect. I couldn't do it, but sadly so shouldn't some others who abuse their position and the caree.  And the system

Our government is taking away a lot of disability benefits from those who do need it, including young kids who care for a parent (and I mean younggg)  Yet get hooked on sticky sticky, mug old women and they throw money at you.  

My kids aren't going to care for me if I get old. My daughter has already told me she's going to find a hill and let my wheelchair go ...

Rant: I was meant to pick my new car up today, only to be told yesterday it won't be ready for 3 weeks. I wouldn't mind but it's been on order since the end of June ... gives me a lot of faith in the finished product

Edited by welshblue

Wondered about your new toy. Kept meaning to ask you...man that sux, I had to wait for mine too but not that long!

We used to live on a hill & that is what the kids said they'd do for their father...& as an added bonus, wait until the milk tanker went past. 

So looks like we share similar governments & systems...

Rant 1: I've discovered 3D modeling and animation.... I have an idea for a little animated short that I want to cut together, but modeling the character has proven to be a challenge...Haven't even gotten to morphing facial expressions yet...Not to mention it's distracting me from my studies...

Rant 2: Blasted stink-bugs... They have made their way, uninvited, into my home. One of them even accosted me in my shower... The nerve of some insects :)

Ewwww I would faint if any bug found its way into my shower. God forbid one crawled under my blanket o__o getting goosebumps just thinking about it

rant: stupid flu, I got over you so why you messin with me with your postnasal dripping 

Seems everyone is getting sick right now. Hope your nose stops leaking soon!

rant: If you guys ever consider becoming a chat moderator for a game, don't do it. It is virtually impossible to do anything that everyone will be happy with.

• Upvote 1

Kemaru, stay away from Australia then. Oh & New Zealand- they have weta! Google it if you dare but be warned - not before going to bed :D

Pdnnoob, like that at work too. 

My rant: people stealing other people's food from the communal fridge at work. This is the land of plenty. We all are underpaid, some are lacking in any work ethic & morals. Stealing food from a co-worker?!

A perfect cure for people stealing food and drink ...

Years ago a workmate used to sneak through the trees and drink our beverages on hot days.  After a week I'd had enough and put crushed laxatives in his thermos flask one morning ... use sparingly tho', in hindsight 8 was a tad excessive and he wasn't looking too good by the Friday night (stacking heavy timber did him no favours ...) By the Monday morning he looked like death warmed up and had lost a lot of weight.  

A rant ... my daughter is trying to kill me off.  Sunday night she told me she wanted a baby - tonight she showed me the costume she's ordered for Children in Need day at school - Slutty Cop is so not going to happen ... and I'm locking her away until she's at least 30

@barbieq: I've had that issue before. That is food other people paid for. It's just a bad as putting your hands in someones pocket and taking their money. If people are willing to do something like that then it just makes me question their morals. What else could they be stealing?

@welshblue: Um...how old is your daughter?

Edited by DarkShock

Too young for Slutty Cop and babies.  

Thankfully @ 15 I hope the baby thing was a joke or else she'll be pushing a pram in one hand and her boyfriend in a wheelchair in the other

• Upvote 1

Welshy & DS, agree with the food thing. If I knew who it was, they'd be out the door. I'm thinking a well-placed security camera. Disgusting!

Young lass in my class wanted one. Still in the process with 6-8 weeks to go. She now says that it was a very bad idea & she is never having any more :D That'd be enough to make your eyeballs pop out, Welshy. I almost choked on my coffee & she is not even my child...Lucky I am on the laptop with a keyboard cover.

Kemaru, stay away from Australia then. Oh & New Zealand- they have weta! Google it if you dare but be warned - not before going to bed :D

GIANT weta. 

article-2068547-0F02AA4A00000578-492_634

Apparently the really large ones abduct children and drag them into the bush.....

:lol:

• Upvote 1