Rainshadow

Rants *enter at own risk*

@ Kemaru ... helicopter rides are expensive if you book one through a pleasure firm ;)

Actually I am quite accident prone - like the time my wife came home from a clairvoyant and she'd told her "your partner has a lot of accidents "  I disputed that and next thing I stood up under the cupboard door she'd left open.  Or the time I was taken to A&E after I'd lifted my ear muffs up to talk to someone, turned my head and pierced my ear drum with a branch sticking out of a fir tree

... to this day I still think it was totally unprofessional of the nurse and doctor to crease up in hysterics when they walked into the cubicle and saw me sat there with a piece of wood sticking out my ear  :noes:

You don't come across as awkward ... at least you don't on here.  You come across as sensible and interesting, so kick back, enjoy the music, don't try too hard and I'm sure you'll meet new people

Welshblue, suddenly I don't feel so bad.

From the internet, I think what I have is a pinched nerve. Feels like I got hit in the left shoulder and back with a ball bat, karate chopped on the neck and skewered in my bicep with an ice pick. Ice packs feel pretty good. Not begging for meds, just want to know why and get it fixed, you know, like a car.

Went for a MRI test last Wednesday, maybe something will show up with that.

BarbieQ, second opinion, yep, been kinda gathering info on other doctors in my area. Been thinking of switching actually.

Apologies for airing personal problems.

Kemaru, please go to the festival, think no regrets. Take lots of photos.

Kemaru, are you still working on your 1984 book collage? I watched something on PBS about William Kentridge, a South African artist, that found totally fascinating. Some of his art is done on book pages: https://www.google.com/search?q=william+kentridge&client=firefox-a&hs=TtL&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=RLEFUqjpOYjw2QWrjYHIBA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1020&bih=282#bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=c63ccc047b4a5ede&q=william+kentridge+book+pages&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&sa=1&tbm=isch

Edit: Added info.

Edited by doughty

Kemaru, just read the plot to Micromegas at Wikipedia. LOL, all you need is a blank page! Of course your instructor may not understand that.

Sorry for seeming a busybody, I don't mean to be. :)

An artist I was looking forward to hearing held her concert in a closed area so there was a line, and I couldn't get in. :( I chatted with the guys behind me and they gave me a cigar??! Because I'm seldom offered cigars I accepted it but I could barely smoke a third of it before I started to not feel well and I had to throw it away... It wasn't that great though, but still I feel bad about dumping it.

Later, I was listening to Cody Chestnutt  for the first time on the main stage and this very drunk woman who had apparently caught disco fever (because she was swirling around like crazy) started talking in English to me, even though I replied in Finnish and she was obviously Finnish as well. She asked me where I was from (when I told her she laguhed and told me she hated that place) and where I lived and if I'd been to the festival before... Just didn't leave me alone. She tried to make me dance as well, pushing me teasingly and when I didn't respond to that (don't get me wrong I like to dance, just not in that setting) she asked me if I was having fun, to which I said: "I would if you shut up, please just leave me alone." :D I still can't believe I had the guts to tell someone off like that.

Welshy: I'm incredibly awkward when I'm around people I don't know well, either I don't know what to say or do and I'm always at a loss of words or I'm just rude. I'm comfortable here on the forums and when I'm with my close friends so I might not show it really.

Doughty: Don't be, that artist you linked was very interesting! I've been fascinated by book binding and books as pieces of art themselves rather than just containers for it.

I'm having a more literal interpretation of Micromegas with planets and giants though :D

I still can't believe I had the guts to tell someone off like that.

She was drunk, so I'm sure she didn't remember any of it afterwards :lol:

I'm pretty much the same when it comes to people. It can take months for me to warm up to them, and even then I'm still not comfortable talking. I'm a totally different person on the internet, though. Nobody would ever think to put me in a position of authority in real life, but here I am being offered moderator status on two different forums...my real-life self is jealous.

...here I am being offered moderator status on two different forums...my real-life self is jealous.

That tends to happen. I'm also a mod on another popular forum, MOTL.

Speaking of people being different behind a monitor ... the people who keep telling my daughter to kill herself because she's worthless on ask.fm - always on Anon.  Pathetic.  

Luckily she's a strong, popular kid and can suss out the keyboard warriors

I was Admin on a popular gardening board that was founded as a breakaway from the BBC message boards, before I got hooked on PDN.  

Sorry I drifted apart from them all really ... my garden is a mess now  :evillaugh:

• Upvote 1

I agree with Welshblue - Internet (or cyber) bullies are complete cowards, I used to have a myspace page from 2006 to 2010 and was always getting problem messages from freaks. I know they did change a few things regarding security and safety on there, but I have long since removed myself. I find it a shame that you can't use any form of social media to keep in touch with real friends that are spread all over the globe without some oddball wanting to hurt you with words (or worse - wanting you to die) I often wonder how these cyber-freaks would feel if it was one of their loved ones getting threats. 

Ever wonder what these people are like in real-life?

Welshy, I know that your daughter has your & her family's support & a wide friendship base that neutralise the negative effects of bullying. It can still hurt even when it is not true. 

NN, you know what they say about bullies. A long time ago my boss (a minister) said that people can only make you feel what you let them. It is so hard to put that into practice! Worth the effort - which is another thing he used to say :P

People are too scared of me to bully me in real life...was it something I did?

On occasion, I've almost wished someone would] bully me. As it is, it's almost like I don't exist :wtf:

Sand.  Kick.  Out of my way 'Noob!

I'm not real in real life.  I'm actually a clever piece of code pyrochild and Rick threw together to keep the forum running ..... :lol:

People tried to bully me when I was in 7.-9. grade. I didn't care! They were exceptionally bad at bullying. They did make me despise gym class but I got thru that as well.

EER: I knew it!

Every now & then, like today, Karma catches up with bullies. I smile then but today I am grinning like a Cheshire cat.

EER, Rick & Pyro must be very clever to write such a code that includes charm, wit & warmth along with intelligence. Oh, better be careful - wouldn't want Pyro to think I am flirting with a piece of code!

I am pretty much as you find me on here except I am shorter & sometimes let slip with family unfriendly adjectives. 

RANT: 2 cars with 2 flat batteries! Only saving grace is that neither are my car. Looks like the rats (not my babies) have chewed wiring in the engine bay. I have a very unhappy hubby.

@ 'Noob ... sorry but that's one of the most stupidest things I've ever read online.  

Some people take drastic action to get away from bullying, so drastic that it destroys lives  -  Mod or not that's a ridiculous thing to say

I'm like you BarbieQ' - what you see is what you get.  Some like it some don't but the ones that do know I'll do almost anything for them.

Also feeling your pain about cars.  Had to put 2 new tyres on the car 3 weeks ago @ a cost of £350 ... on Friday I drove over a self tapping screw one of my neighbours left on the road after doing some car repairs ... one ruined tyre. = £175..  Wouldn't be so bad but I'm trading up next month so I won't even get the mileage out of it

Edited by welshblue

Keep trying to get myself to come back to these forums more, but I always forget for a while - then, when I come back, there's a huge sea of posts between my current visit and the previous one.  

Woah, Noob. Don't EVER wish that about bullying.

I was always a shy person (still am if I don't know someone that well), but I found that coming up to a person and initiating a conversation first helps. You seem pretty outgoing to me. Maybe we'd be friends if I ever went to your school.

People are too scared of me to bully me in real life...was it something I did?

On occasion, I've almost wished someone would] bully me. As it is, it's almost like I don't exist :wtf:

I know how you feel.  Better to be treated as something that's actually there than to be completely ignored.  Negative attention > None at all. 

Depending on the situation, at least.  

Payed 900 to fix my car yesterday, also found out from my ophthalmologist I have a viral infection + ulcer... in my eye.  

Sounds dire, I know, but it's not quite as bad as it sounds.

Some kid tried to bully me at my cousins' birthday party once.. in a bouncy house. :unimpressed: (I was only 4 or something, OK?) 

After being pushed down a few times, I just shoved him (thanks for the coaching, dad) onto the (sadly) soft floor of the bouncy house.

I know everyone else has had years to get used to IPB, but in my three or four times back since the forum transition, I still can't get into the swing of it.  phpBB is still my thang.

Meh.  I'll figure it out.

I know everyone else has had years to get used to IPB, but in my three or four times back since the forum transition, I still can't get into the swing of it.  phpBB is still my thang.

Meh.  I'll figure it out.

I think bbcode still works if you type it out by hand.  If that's what you are talking about.  I hope it is.  I don't want to look silly.  

Edit: It isn't, is it?  I look silly.  

Here's a song that can make everyone not rant.  Seriously, it's really relaxing: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYnZqYCdJ-I

Rant: I'm getting out of touch with rock music.  Over the summer, I started to listen almost purely to dubstep/whatever genre Ellie Goulding is/drum and bass/acoustic etc.  Also never feel like playing Xbox anymore.  Somehow, I think this may make my school life easier, as the dubstep stuff helps me focus and the Xbox used to be a major distraction.  Although, I am supposed to be writing an essay on the colonization of the new world right now.

Other rant:  I don't have a Lamborghini.  I think it's a good goal, to want a Lamborghini, because it means that you always have a fallback target if you miss another one.  A rather unobtainable goal, to keep you working hard and motivated (and make sure that you have something to look forward to no matter what).  And if you do obtain it, then hey, you get a Lamborghini out of it.  

But seriously, look at this.  It's a work of art.  http://www.lamborghini.com/en/models/gallardo-lp-560-4-spyder/overview/

Edited by AGJM

I think bbcode still works if you type it out by hand.  If that's what you are talking about.  I hope it is.  I don't want to look silly.  

Edit: It isn't, is it?  I look silly.  

That is part of the problem, but not the whole problem.  You do look silly, but that's not why.  :-)

No, for the most part, links are just in different places now.  I keep looking for post dates in the wrong places, I keep on trying to click "quote" at the top of the post...little things like that.  Also the search isn't as good because there's no option to look more than a couple of years back.

But I'll get it.