Rainshadow

Rants *enter at own risk*

rant: Work. I work 5 days every other week and 2 days every other. Now, however, my co-worker is on sick leave (something about her leg) and I have to work the entire week. The work isn't heavy, and I'm a morning person so I should have no problem waking up at 5-5:30 am (I start at a little past 6), but I'm having a flu and a fever _and_ I'm having trouble sleeping. I've slept less than 6 hours every night since Sunday. Because of these two factors I'm extremely tired but still can't sleep well... I come home from work at 9, I'm very tired but decide not to take a nap because it might make me lose sleep at night; I drink a cup of tea instead.

Oh and for some reason I've become very sensitive to caffeine and if I drink more than two cups of tea, or more than one cup of coffee, OR two glasses of coke, I can't sleep until 3... Lucky for me I have lots of herbal infusions as well.

Edited by Kemaru

Cold callers.

Just because I've got direct debits every month for a children's hospice, Marie Curie Cancer Care, the Welsh Air Ambulance and the British Heart Foundation (plus all the charity boxes my loose change goes into) ... does not mean I'm racist by not signing up to donate to foreign aid charities.  Which was insinuated.  The cheek of it 

I'm still bouncing an hour later ... and that's another thing.  Calling @ 9.30pm is against all sorts of telephone regulations

It's been a while since I've been on this forum and its been a while since I've used pdn, hopefully its like riding a bike and i can get back riding soon 

Today's rant involves our personal conversations being recorded and stored. I just read about video teleconferencing, and they mentioned Skype by name. If you ever used them, you have been recorded. They have a plan to tell you that if you are not doing anything wrong, who cares.

You may have been discussing products in development, and one of the big internet companies stole it. You may have been in discussion with a doctor about a personal problem. They now have this private information and will attempt to sell it. Call me crazy, but this is not going well. Recording phones, e-mails and video conferencing. What is next? How about a guy living on my roof with a listening device? Dare to laugh.

Rant over.

Edited by Visual
  • Upvote 1

My sister is in France on a missions trip.

While in some city, I'm not sure where, she was approached by two Muslim men.  (Interestingly enough, France has one of the largest and fastest-growing Islamic populations on the planet.)  They asked her if she was a Jew.  She said no, as she is a Christian.  They said that they didn't believe her, and then threatened to blow her up.

They reported the incident to the police and have several military men accompanying them, so it should be fine...

My textbook at school along with books from my public library all say that Jews and Christians are "people of the book" in the eyes of Muslims, and are not to be harmed.  I guess that there is a really dark side to Islam, after all...

My sister is in France on a missions trip.

While in some city, I'm not sure where, she was approached by two Muslim men.  (Interestingly enough, France has one of the largest and fastest-growing Islamic populations on the planet.)  They asked her if she was a Jew.  She said no, as she is a Christian.  They said that they didn't believe her, and then threatened to blow her up.

They reported the incident to the police and have several military men accompanying them, so it should be fine...

My textbook at school along with books from my public library all say that Jews and Christians are "people of the book" in the eyes of Muslims, and are not to be harmed.  I guess that there is a really dark side to Islam, after all...

Christians are a minority in the world. There have been more deaths attributed to a book, of what you believe, than all wars combined. One day, i hope all the book people will remember this. Live corrrectly, and all will be solved. Live to serve mamon, and learn wrongly. In America, this is being disolved by the class that will soon takeover the American government. Damn, i hope i am wrong. The numbers say that i am right. Hate getting older.

Christians are a minority in the world. There have been more deaths attributed to a book, of what you believe, than all wars combined. One day, i hope all the book people will remember this. Live corrrectly, and all will be solved. Live to serve mamon, and learn wrongly. In America, this is being disolved by the class that will soon takeover the American government. Damn, i hope i am wrong. The numbers say that i am right. Hate getting older.

Maybe it's because it's late, but I cannot make any sort of coherence out of anything you've just said...  

Can you put it in simpler terms?  My apologies.  

Edited by AGJM

I guess that there is a really dark side to Islam, after all...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/woolwich-attack-horrified-witnesses-tell-1904602%5D '> You're only just realising ... ?  

The world is getting madder, badder and sadder.  All over things nobody can prove exist ... or just using that as an excuse to further their own cause

You're only just realising ... ?

The world is getting madder, badder and sadder.  All over things nobody can prove exist ... or just using that as an excuse to further their own cause

Just that the media is trying to convince us that there is not even a blemish on Islamic beliefs.  My history textbook talked about how peaceful they were, and how they didn't believe in harming anything.  As did all of the books that I read when I wrote an eleven-page (if I remember correctly) MLA paper on whether or not Islam has a place in the modern world, with its belief system.  Also, it isn't letting me load that link.

I think what's important to remember is that it's not Islam that's bad ... it's a bad Islamist.  The same goes for any religion

I know a man who will sit for hours arguing the christian cause, yet he'll go out drinking, go home and beat his wife up.  Then wonders why no-one takes his spouting seriously

• Upvote 2

I think what's important to remember is that it's not Islam that's bad ... it's a bad Islamist.  The same goes for any religion

I know a man who will sit for hours arguing the christian cause, yet he'll go out drinking, go home and beat his wife up.  Then wonders why no-one takes his spouting seriously

My take on it is that, unlike with Christianity, when an Islamist is violent against those of other religions his religion says he is just.  With Christianity, you don't get a heavenly reward for blowing yourself up in a room full of children.  When you do that, the Bible says that you are indeed doing something very wrong.  With Islam, you are told that killing innocent people is a legitimate form of worship, as long as they are of other religions.

Just some of what I found while writing an essay on the topic:

“Another example of Islamic violence and

aggression is the blasphemy law in Pakistan; it says that anyone who insults

Muhammad commits a crime punishable by death. The roots of this law are in the

earliest teachings of Islam itself.” 

As put by Abdul Saleeb, most Muslims “are

obviously very peaceful, fun-loving people who want a good future for themselves

and for their children.” (84).  Later, he

continues, saying, “There are, for example, conservative Muslims and liberal

Muslims, as well as “Sufi” Muslims, who comprise the mystical wing of

Islam.  I grew up in a Sufi family.  Sufis practice a sort of New Age version of

Islam; they were just as horrified about the events of September 11 as you and

I were.”  (84-5.)  Violence among Muslims is obviously not as

rampant as some believe, but it still has a presence that needs to be

addressed.  

According to Gordon D. Newby’s “A Concise Encyclopedia of Islam,” “This

word [Jihad] is often mistranslated as “holy war.” … Jihad is divided into greater

jihad and lesser jihad. The greater striving is the struggle against sin within

the individual and the quest for a perfect spiritual life.  It is regarded as the harder of the two, and

the one with greater rewards.  The lesser

striving includes missionary activity and active armed conflict with evil.  In the latter sense, some groups, such as

certain of the KHAWÂRIJ and some modern activists, regard the armed

struggle as an essential feature of faith, with the aim of creating Islamic

states wherever possible.  During the

period of the Crusades, Muslim jurists developed detailed codes of Islamic

warfare based on earlier thinking, which limited the barbarity and harmful

effects on non-combatants.  In the modern

period, some Muslim thinkers have argued that it is the duty of every Muslim to

wage armed struggle against those states that are not Islamic, and even against

those traditionally Muslim states that have not fully implemented the SHARÎʿAH.  This has given rise to a number of jihad

organizations that utilize the Islamic concept to promote support for primarily

political, post-colonial liberationist and nationalist movements.”  (115-16). As this text shows, violence – the

“easier” form of Jihad, even – is one of the main focuses of Islam.  

We have no reason to fear their violence,

because they are peaceful – even though one chapter in the Qur’an, the Sura, says, “And if you are killed in the

cause of Allah or die – then forgiveness from Allah and mercy are better than

whatever they accumulate in this world.” (3:157)  As shown, any terrorist is promised more than

anything they could ever imagine for their deeds.  There is so much controversy between the

things you hear of Islam.  We can hear

the U.S. President, Barrack Obama, saying, “Islam is not the problem in

combating violent extremism – it is an important part of promoting peace,” (Remarks by the President on a New Beginning)

while on the other hand, we see the Qur’an saying, “Indeed, the penalty for

those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger and strive upon earth [to

cause] corruption is none but that they be killed or crucified or that their

hands and feet be cut off from opposite sides or that they be exiled from the

land. That is for them a disgrace in this world; and for them in the Hereafter

is a great punishment.” (Surah 5:33)  

The fact that America supports Hollywood, in and of itself, means that we are "at war" with Allah in the eyes of some muslims, due to the fact that some ideas coming from Hollywood disagree with some of the ideas of Islam.  

On the topic of Islamic

takeover, there is a fierce Islamic population in France.  It is the second-most practiced religion in

France, making up an estimated 8 to 9.6% of the population (BBC – Muslims in Europe).  Islam is said to

be – but is not confirmed to be - the fastest growing religion in the world.  There is a rising Islamic population

throughout Europe, with that of France being the highest.  Much of Macedonia now contains a large

Islamic population, with about one third of the population – around 30%, total

- being Islamic.  Albania, Serbia, and

Bosnia have high percentages of their populations being proclaimed Muslims as

well.  This has severe implications.  With the high growth rate of the Islamic

faith, and it’s strengthening hold southeast of Europe – and in Europe – it

could easily grow to be one of the most practiced religions in the area.  This would drastically change the culture of

the countries, with more and more people there obeying Islamic law. Apart from

that, it would mean there would be an increased likelihood of domestic Islamic

terrorists and terrorist groups in the area. 

If France becomes a nation where Islam is the most practiced religion,

what would the implications be?  If that

meant that there were terrorists and terrorists in the area, as a minority of

the Islamic population, would it kill off tourism?  

As Abdul Saleeb pointed out in, “The

Dark Side of Islam,” “For many Muslims, “self-denfense” and “fighting

against oppression” have much broader meanings than you or I would associate

with those terms.  Muslims today have

said that America is attacking them by exporting its secular cultural values,

by exporting Hollywood movies and destroying the cultural norms of their

countries.  Thus they claim to be engaged

in self-defense when they attack America.” (90). So, it seems that the cause of

violence may need to be traced out farther than the five (or six) daily rituals

of Islam, and all the way back to its roots. 

“Recently, somebody made the claim that Osama bin Laden is to Islam what

Timothy McVeigh was to Christianity. 

These are absolutely false analogies. 

Bin Laden can quote Qur’anic verses to justify his actions.  McVeigh could not quote from the Bible or

refer to Jesus to justify his actions… 

These false analogies and characterizations are being perpetrated by

Western media, politicians, and intellectuals.”

In my own opinion, it is very different.  But maybe it's because I'm biased on the topic.

AGJM, do you know many Muslim people? And by many, I mean enough to know what they have in common and where their views differ? There isn't only one type of Islam the same way there isn't only one type of Christianity (although each one think they have it right).

My experience is limited to the somewhat more modern Turkey. Much of their social progress I think is due to the secular state. This is what most of them are like:
1) they don't eat pork or any of its derivatives
2) they fast for the month of Ramadan
3) they might pray 5 times a day.
4) they are close with their relatives and families are very extended. Guests are always welcome and treated with respect.
5) they are open and accepting to the views of others.

To put it simply. Muslims just want to live the cookie-cut, average, normal life like most of the other residents of the Earth. They just want to work, marry, buy a house, have children, retire, have granchildren, and in the end, go to heaven. To get there, they follow the five pillars of Islam, which are sort of like the ten commandments. The ones who truly believe that killing a bunch of innocent heretics because of Jihad will get them there are a bunch of maniacs in the eyes of the common folk. 

I'm a bit biased too, having raised a Muslim. Although, I never prayed once in my life and I've only fasted once in Ramadan and that was for one day in 2006. And I'm an atheist now.

I have to acknowledge what's wrong in Muslim societies though. Family is perhaps too important. Deviation from the norm and staining the family name can lead to problems and isolation. Because the people put so much trust on authorities; fathers, imams, and so on, that those who come from poor and poorer environments are prone to indoctrination, which in turn leads to extremism. Change is slow. This is evident in human rights issues, women's rights, LGBT rights and so on. Religious leadership is also a big problem, state and church do not belong together, ever.

tl;dr: There are many sorts of Muslims and few are like the ones you see on the news. Most of them just want to live in peace.

Edited by Kemaru

I guess I overstated my point.  And good job laying out your argument.  It was a pleasure to read.  

My point is not that I think all Muslims are bad.  My point was that when a Muslim person does deviate from the path of peace, they can claim to be doing it for their religion.  A Christian cannot.  

Having written a major essay on the religion, I did familiarize myself with the Five Pillars of Islam, and read about their beliefs. 

I'm not scared whenever I see an Islamic person - I had a talk with someone I met at the beach who was Islamic.  He told me a lot about their beliefs and values. 

Did you read my whole previous post?

At the risk of drawing myself into this debate, I would state that I disagree with the idea that Christians cannot claim to be doing harm in the name of their religion - because essentially, it is not the religion giving the justification in any case, it is the person finding the justification through the religion themselves. I hate to use such as extreme example, but one can hardly forget that the KKK were a group of Christian extremists, and if you would like more references, Wikipedia has an entire article dedicated to Christian extremism. The actions of these groups and individuals do not mean that the Christian scriptures encourage or reward their behaviour, or that all Christians have these views (I know this is not related to the point you are making, but I think it is important to state), simply that that is how they interpreted it. It is all about personal interpretation and personal ethics - the problem, indeed, is not even limited to religion. How many examples have there been throughout history of scientists performing deeply unethical experiments and research to 'further the cause of science'? Simply put, the issue is universal, and to say that Christians are exempt is, I am afraid, absurd; given a way, any extremist with an unethical agenda will be able to justify their actions; this does not diminish the value of others of their kind, be they good Muslims or good Christians or whatever. When religions can be interpreted so many different way, the voice of one member cannot be said to speak for the people.

Edited by Rubrica
  • Upvote 3

@Rubrica: Excellent point. I had the same thoughts, or the essence of it, but I wish I could have expressed them as well as you did.

@AGJM: I might have overreacted as well, I have to admit that I skipped parts of your quotes though I did examine the latter more thoroughly. I didn't want to start a debate on religion*.  I assumed that since you're writing an essay you had studied the subject extensively, but I hoped to introduce an aspect of the Muslim culture you might have not been familiar with.

I'm glad you found it pleasurable to read. Writing it I felt like I sounded like I was explaining things that didn't need explaining and that I seemed condescending but I didn't want to do either.

*it's more or less pointless unless all parties are able to keep their cool and discuss respectfully. On the internet, more so on a forum people are not only more likely to be overtly blunt but more likely to take offense.

And to rant: I need to do some paintings and drawings for a school I'm trying to apply to, but I have little motivation. 

Edited by Kemaru
  • Upvote 1

BB and The Crusade ... not the religious one, but the one to get this thread back on track ...

@ Kemaru ... can you do some sketches of some of that great photography you do ?

A rant ... sunburn.  Ouch x 10

Rant:  Scripting in rainmeter is hard.  This is all I have so far.

It's very rewarding, I've found.  I should be updating it tonight, if all goes as planned.

With all do respects to the website amins, i know this is usually a forbidden topic. I always hear about that they were not a real muslims or christians.

Most want to ignore and not look. If we do not speak and come together, we will find that we are puppets to masters. This is a rant thread. It helps to speak and be gone with it, temporarily speaking. 90 percent of the world believes in a deity. You can't delete that. Most are seekers of the truth in their lives.

In the other threads this is not appropriate. Sorry, i give away the pulpit.

Rant:... back pain. >:O

The doctor prescribed me Valium and Norco.

I told him I don't just want to treat the symptoms, I want to fix the problem. He says I sit too much at work and at home. I just need to exercise.

If I start to slur the words in my posts, you'll know why. :D

So... exercise!  It's good for you and your family :)

Considered fusing the vertebrae either side of the problem disc(s)?  It's a permanent, drug-free solution that "just might work... Captain" 

I hate to exercise but love gardening. Be careful what you wish for...now I have a massive backyard that needs some serious work...big boys toys before I can even think about tinkering. Need a backhoe & the mother of all chainsaws :P I'm going to pick a corner & work from there :P since I now have a shiny new wheelbarrow & CAT shovel :D

I can feel my back aching already...

BB, might be the ergonomics? Don't envy you on those pills. 

EER, IT issues...that sux!