I highly agree with EER & BarbieQ. As a buddhist, I rarely do things that only benefit myself. I'm always helping people with everything from moral support & relationship advice to computers and network security. There's no greater feeling than passing on knowledge & skills while also gaining those things in return.

It's an invaluable resource we all have access to but I don't think many people truly understand it these days. The way I feel as far as that goes can best be summed up in a poem I wrote ages ago...

I have...

...no desire for power or for total control,

all the power is inside me for me to behold,

...no desire to be wealthy or filthy stinking rich,

best things in life are free and obtained in a cinch,

...no desire to become famous or be in a spotlight,

what good is fame when hatred is the price,

...no need for fancy trinkets & objects in my name,

I will live with or without them just exactly the same,

...no need for a direction in life here or there,

we're headed the same place leading straight to nowhere,

...no need to ask senseless questions as I go,

all the answers are known for all I desire to know,

...no need to search for answers in life as I've grown,

life itself is the answer to many questions left unknown,

...no need for merit or for good deeds that were done,

simply content to reach a goal, helping others, & having fun,

...no need to be remembered or to fear being forgot,

aside from lessons passed on as the rest matters not,

• Upvote 2

RFX5A1.jpg

I lack the social skills needed to work with the disabled and the elderly. Plus I would have to complete courses like EA and other things to meet requirements for such volunteer work. I'd love to volunteer and pick up trash or do something bigger environmentally but that would need more time than I have.

Cool poem RFX. Here's mine:

still

I am

drop on the surface

no ripples

no waves

rapid flows

through your mouth

a cataract in sight

grows and grows

clouds

drops

falls

still

I am

• Upvote 1

Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.
|fb(page)|portfolio|blog|

You do not lack the skills. Volunteers need passion and a good heart. You obviously have both.

• Upvote 1

You don't need to commit a lot of time if you're a volunteer. The 4 hours a week I used to give to junior/ youth football were the best times.
Giving for the sake of it and knowing it was being well received was worth more than anything in my wage packets.

I miss it

2 x great poems there guys. Both pretty profound

---------------------------

After countless tests finally having a diagnosis doesn't always make you feel better  :BlendingOverwrite: 

• Upvote 1

free-sig.png

... Blue 'Til I Die ...

My Gallery

Our country runs on volunteers. Some use skills they have learnt, others learn new skills & release the passion that was locked inside of themselves. 

No idea what EA is...I do know that some organisations will even train up volunteers so that they get a certificated qualification for their troubles. 

The organisation I work for is a not-for-profit & the profits they do make goes into providing further training to others. We have second-hand chairs, tables, computers & everything is done on the cheap. My bosses know very well that I am seriously underpaid but I choose to work there because every now & then a student comes up to me & says, "I went to the library by myself on Friday. I filled out the application all by myself. I used what you taught me in class & I have the confidence & the skills now to be more independent now from being in the class. You have helped me a lot & I want to keep getting more independent." This person has an intellectual impairment & has for 15 years worked as a gardener until the program shut down through lack of funding & he is very hard to place in a new job. Or when a student that you taught how to write letters writes one to you to say she is doing ok after moving interstate. My bosses support me when I need time off. I get almost too much autonomy :D

I have a volunteer that helps me with admin matters. She has done the most amazing evacuation plan in conjunction with another student. He drew the draft, she did it in Word. Wait until I introduce her to PDN! Because I did not set limits to what she should be doing & told the class that she was here to help, they started asking her for help with their work & she is now tutoring them. That is what happens without barriers...

The poems are great! 

Welshy, hugs, mate.

• Upvote 2
THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

After countless tests finally having a diagnosis doesn't always make you feel better  :BlendingOverwrite:

If you need a kidney - just ask.  Other organs we might have to negotiate..

• Upvote 1

If you need a kidney - just ask.  Other organs we might have to negotiate..

:evillaugh:

Thanks mate but unless the medication screws them up I'm ok on that front.  And it could end up making me do something daft ... like run up mountains  :P

free-sig.png

... Blue 'Til I Die ...

My Gallery

I just weighted myself... I need to lose 15 pounds.<br /><br />(That's 7 KG for you non-Americans.)

can't tell if rant is about weight...or about weird html tags showing up in forum posts :P

what I do all summer Emote Cursor Pack 'noob gallery

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

All tags are weird when you're trying to lose weight.  Especially clothes tags

On a side note I dropped a jeans size by stopping drinking tea and coffee and starting to have cous cous with meals instead of potatoes.

I used to think it was a woman thing but there's a buzz when you can buy smaller clothes

Edited by welshblue
  • Upvote 1

free-sig.png

... Blue 'Til I Die ...

My Gallery

14lb = 6.3kg.  

Buy running shoes from Wiggle.com. 3 months use and you'll be there.  

We'll support you!  In fact we could make this a charitable fundraiser.  Pick your charity (BoltBait.com doesn't count :) ) and I'll personally sponsor your weight loss.

• Upvote 1

My suggestion is to eat in moderation, don't eat after 7 or 8, and eat that you still feel your stomach a little empty.

Try natural herbs that are hunger suppressants and burn fat--hoodia, ginger root, black raspberry, green tea, even grapefruit. Make sure you substitute regular salt with sea salt--your cholesterol can be managed easier that way as well as eating only homecooked meals. Fresh veggies and fruits are also good.

Don't cut out bread or meat from your diet. Eat everything ONLY in moderation.

Also, one more suggestion is to exercise until you work up a sweat. BUT, as I told Kemaru before, do something you enjoy. Don't run if you don't like it. You like to play basketball or chop wood? Do that. If you exercise, might as well make it fun. Good luck. :)

• Upvote 2

sig-1.png
Don't spit into the well, you might drink from it later. -----Yiddish Proverb

Glossy Galaxy Ball---How to Make Foliage
My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA

The extra weight is all in my gut.

That's where men tend to store their reserves :(  The Abs are the first to go!  Women tends to gain in the backside and thighs - the 'pear' shape as it's often called.

Tip:  Hunger is often blunted by a relatively small portion of protein.  I use a handful of nuts to curb cravings or following serious exercise as the protein is also good for muscle repair.  Salted nuts (horrors!) if I've sweated heavily during exercise.

14lb = 6.3kg.  

Buy running shoes from Wiggle.com. 3 months use and you'll be there.  

We'll support you!  In fact we could make this a charitable fundraiser.  Pick your charity (BoltBait.com doesn't count :) ) and I'll personally sponsor your weight loss.

I have pledged to lose 25kg by the end of this year. I am not on track...but then I cannot access the treadmill either. I will have to make a concerted effort when we finally move into our own house. That in itself should see the shedding of a few kilos.

Chocolate is my passion but now I have tiny bits & savour them. Sodas I can leave. Fruit I cannot! I love vegetables & eat lean meat in small amounts. Bread very rarely. So why are the kilos not coming off?? Lack of sleep can make you gain weight. If only my body was a car - imagine the mileage with this metabolism!

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

I agree with what Barbieq25 said about doing the type of exercise you like and enjoy doing. But I also think that one should also try out things that one isn't so fond of every now and then. For example, going for a run might feel terrible when you're not in good enough shape (I still remember how terrible it felt when I finished my first proper jog), but if you were to improve your fitness via other means first and then try again with improved stamina, you might enjoy it more.

Mind you, a small frame isn't all that glorious either. I'm short, 169cm (5'6½") and 58kg (128lbs) and I can tell you that trying to find fitting clothes is equally hard when you're almost three sizes below average and tailoring is not an option, particularly now that clothing companies are slowly increasing the size and changing the shape of clothing to better accomodate the average body. I have just enough fat stored on my abdomen to hide my abs but my size hides that. Also, I dress well so my little belly doesn't show; not that it really matters though. Still, I'd like for it to go away.

Rant: I seem to have caught a slight diet soda addiction. I need to stop while I still can!

Edited by Kemaru

Thanks! Interesting that you should bring up having more energy, because recently (more specifically, this week) I've noticed being very tired in the morning, despite being an extreme morning person.

Rant: visibility. so hard to get recognition. On one hand I really don't want to spam and advertise myself everywhere; on the other, I would like for people to see my artwork and either commend or give feedback, or even buy prints. Dilemma.

Flickr has changed their format. New Slogan: Smile. Everyone gets a free terabyte. Which is just fine, but there is no more thumbnails to shuffle through. My clunky computer was smoken just from trying to find a rant thread to post in. >:O:P

• Upvote 2

SloppySig.png

I just weighted myself... I need to lose 15 pounds.<br /><br />(That's 7 KG for you non-Americans.)

Fast for 3 days,only water and black tea.  First meal skip is the hardest as is the first night but day 2 is not too bad hunger pains come and go and only last about 20 mins and day 3 is a breeze with the odd crave.  By day 4 you'll feel fantastic and full of energy.  I normally do one 4 day fast a month not only is it good for your health its good for your wallet,no food shopping and you have more free time ;)

• Upvote 1

^ I'm starting fasting today! For its health effects and because we have a theme picnic day at school on Thursday: my theme is an activist on hunger strike.

Rant: well, I've pretty much grown over the "get drunk and party wild" age, mentally and physically. My body just can't tolerate large amounts of alcohol and I needed to be aware of this. It's unfair, though, that after a party and not drinking I seem to be the only one feeling sick and unable to sleep before 4:40 AM.

Edited by Kemaru

Fast for 3 days,only water and black tea.  First meal skip is the hardest as is the first night but day 2 is not too bad hunger pains come and go and only last about 20 mins and day 3 is a breeze with the odd crave.  By day 4 you'll feel fantastic and full of energy.  I normally do one 4 day fast a month not only is it good for your health its good for your wallet,no food shopping and you have more free time ;)

and no washing dishes either :D

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

The state of the ambulance service in Wales is shocking.

Last night in the first 20 seconds of a cup final my son went into a challenge with another player and after a coming together the other player suffered a broken leg.

One hour 5 minutes that player had to lay on the pitch.

Disgraceful. It was horrible to watch. My son was so distraught at the distress, he did the technicolour yawn.

People are going to die because of cutbacks whilst the managers sit in their ivory towers counting their fat salaries

Broken Britain. Yep

free-sig.png

... Blue 'Til I Die ...

My Gallery