Sign in to follow this  
Rainshadow

Rants *enter at own risk*

That was my poor attempt @ levity :unimpressed:

I agree with you totally

... but I still get upset when people who 'Believe' judge me to be a lesser person because I don't

• Upvote 1

Everything is my imagination. This world is all in my head, as far as I can recall it has always been. There wasn't any before, and it will only exist for as long as I do. Try to prove to me that you aren't my imagination. This is all in a book I wrote which I know to be true, because everything in this world is from the depths of my mind and thus it is true. If you reject my book, then the burden of proof is on you dear.

Edit: My purpose wasn't to offend anyone.

@welshblue: Yes I know, it is quite annoying! But I'd say it's better than going door-to-door, convincing people to donate to wwf on a monthly basis, which i find to be more invasive than tele-marketing, albeit for a better cause.

Edited by Kemaru

Everything is my imagination. This world is all in my head, as far as I can recall it has always been. There wasn't any before, and it will only exist for as long as I do. Try to prove to me that you aren't my imagination.

Also known as solipsism. It's generally regarded as silliness when it comes to wanting to be taken seriously, but is also a completely legitimate topic of philosophical or metaphysical discussion and is something I think everyone should at least contemplate and explore. (I'm sure the shady looking guy in your neighborhood can sell you something to help out with it, too.)

It's like the old story,

Philosophy 101 Professor: blah blah blah you can't prove that other people actually exist blah blah blah

Student: So what you're saying is that you might not even exist?

Professor: Nope, what I'm saying is that YOU might be all in my imagination!

This reminds me of studying History of Art at uni. I now know why so many artists are in varying degrees strange (Dali, Warhol etc.) Trying to get my head around philosophical teachings, to me they were ramblings, which did not make much sense at all. Enlightenment came in the guise of a book that I read when I was about 18 & promptly forgot about - Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

The study unit did my head in & it was the only unit that I ever failed an assignment for. Such a far cry from the A+ that I was getting for everything else. I was fortunate enough to own a fireplace. Enraged, I burned all of the books for that unit & wore the financial loss.

An interesting concept that I might test out on my student today if they get too unruly.

Burden of proof may be on the prosecutor but in the meantime the hapless individual could be languishing behind bars until the prosecutor fails to find the proof.

Burden of proof may be on the prosecutor but in the meantime the hapless individual could be languishing behind bars until the prosecutor fails to find the proof.

Not quite; it's not indefinite detention. If it really worked such that you'd be behind bars "until the prosecutor fails to find the proof", well then if you really disliked someone you'd just have them arrested. And then you'd conveniently always have some other work that took priority over "finding proof". The system is designed to prevent obvious abuse like that.

There's a procedure, which goes something like ... first you arrest the bloke. Then within 24 hours you have to file charges or set them free. Then soon after you have to go before a judge and the prosecutor has to convince the judge that he has a reasonable case against you, after which they schedule the real trial by which time the prosecutor will be required to present the full body of evidence and arguments against you. Then after the real trial you are either set loose or tossed back into jail. Each part has a definite time limit and schedule, and you are informed about it ("your trial is scheduled for next monday"). And, once you've been declared innocent or guilty for a crime, you can't be charged for that crime again.

And, once you've been declared innocent or guilty for a crime, you can't be charged for that crime again.

Unless the prosecutor tries to invoke Double Jeopardy ... ?

They do here in England and Wales

Not sure on the double jeopardy here in Australia.

All quite true Rick. What I meant was that if you are charged & held for remand you can be in there for quite a long time if you don't get bail. Months & in some cases years can go by until the court is satisfied that you are not guilty which really is not the same as innocent. When you are set free you may then pick up the pieces of your life. I wish there was a better way of determining guilt. Now we are really off track :smile:

Not sure on the double jeopardy here in Australia.

All quite true Rick. What I meant was that if you are charged & held for remand you can be in there for quite a long time if you don't get bail. Months & in some cases years can go by until the court is satisfied that you are not guilty which really is not the same as innocent. When you are set free you may then pick up the pieces of your life. I wish there was a better way of determining guilt. Now we are really off track :smile:

Ha, yes we are off track. I'm hazy on the specifics, as I'm neither a lawyer nor a convincted criminal :) But the general idea is that things aren't indefinite. There is a schedule for each stage of the process, and you are told when your next appointment is, so to speak. Yes you can sit around for a long time if you can't afford bail, but unless the judge decides you're dangerous or a flight risk, you at least have the opportunity to make bail and go back home.

Anyway what were we saying about proof?

We in the US are fortunate to be protected from double jeopardy.

1st off - awesome sig as per usual. I'm not so sure about the forunate bit. Sometimes some people deserve to be punished ?

Don't know how long that will last though.

Yeah it's honestly scary what kinds of laws they are getting away with passing these days. Even scarier are the laws that don't get passed, but only because of some minor footnote that caused disagreement.

1st off - awesome sig as per usual.

Thanks! However, that signature was over a year old. I've gone ahead and added a new one.

I'm not so sure about the forunate bit. Sometimes some people deserve to be punished ?

Sometimes people deserve to be punished, and I feel like it is quite fair that a person only be prosecuted once for a crime. It is the responsibility of our court system to get it right the first time. It doesn't always work, but it has had a pretty good track record thus far ;)

My mind is freaking out.

I'm starting to break down, so to speak... I'm finding it harder and harder to remember short term things, as I have noticed that people are amazed at what I can forget in a matter of a few minutes, my right index finger is starting to twitch, I keep getting really depressed (real shocker there, huh?) at night, and I keep having bad dreams (for example, a "clear", detailed dream of my little sister getting run over as of last night)...

For now, I'll try to think of positive things when I go to sleep and talk with some friends at night.

Sometimes people deserve to be punished, and I feel like it is quite fair that a person only be prosecuted once for a crime. It is the responsibility of our court system to get it right the first time. It doesn't always work, but it has had a pretty good track record thus far ;)

Apologies for the late reply ... I was in court (Joke!!)

On the whole I agree - but in the case of serious crimes such as murder/rape I can't help feeling that if new evidence comes to light once someone gets acquitted then they're fair game.

The new sig and avi are just as cool as the old ones. Great colours

• Upvote 1

I feel like I am in this thread too much...

Anyways, I can never get a peaceful moment... At school, I'm hated for trying to get others to follow the rules, so asking for quiet gets the opposite response (and trust me, the teachers don't do a thing), at home it is always loud and I am extra-stressed as it is around the time that my ADD medication wears off, and even on my video games - any of them - I always have bad luck or I just suck. I can't even get rid of any stress writing or on Paint.net, as I always end up mad about how I can't get a good outcome... Then there is the fact that no matter how stressed I am, I can't ever let out my emotions - not even when I try, for some reason - and it just keeps building up. For now, the one thing I have is sleep - which I am not right now, as my sister just walked in and turned on the lights (we share a room). I hate this. So much. Like today, when I went to school feeling motivated and came out of first class feeling like a piece of bloody potato - not only due to the kids, but the teacher too... I invest hope in too many things. I feel stupid all the time. Another example is the girl that spoke in chapel, who I told directly that I felt like she came at her topic from the wrong angle. She freaked out and said I was just trying to tear her down to build myself up and that my opinion didn't phase her. I didn't even mean it as an insult, I just meant that the way she came about it was a tad bit off in my opinion... Then of course, I speak in chapel and she says "Good job" in a semi-sarcastic tone and gives me a fake smile... People suck. Most people, at least.

I feel for you bro. Nearly everyday I end up shouting at someone which gets me in worse trouble and the anger builds and the cycle just spirals right. Sometimes you may get this feeling that things are finally turning over, but then something else happens which dashes your spirit against the rocks. Emotions affect us deeply and make trying to do ANYTHING a struggle. I don't know about you but sometimes (not always) when I'm angry or bitter or whatever the emotion is, I take my axe (yes an axe) out to the woods behind my house and hack down younger trees, hack off the upper branches, and use the thick trunk (branch) to smash things like the old riding mower behind our shed. It's hard to find an outlet for your emotions, and having others treat you like trash or retarded doesn't help.

One thing I will say about your chapel comment, it's seems that if she just spoke at church she should be acting more godly. For her to say that to you shows that she was not in the mindset to be speaking. When you say speaking, do you mean like a pastor teaching a service, because it isn't the place of women to pastor a church in the first place. (Don't judge me, it is in the Bible, take it to God if you don't like it)

Edit: However if she was a guest speaker then that is ok.

Edited by NinjaManDan21

I have found in life that you are as happy as you make up your mind to be.

My advice to you: If you can't change your circumstances, change your outlook.

Also, if you own a camera and want some quiet, go outside and take some pictures. I find it to be a very relaxing hobby (as long as I don't expect to be taking prize winning pictures).

A great way to handle stress is to take up running. It might be frustrating at first, but it really helps you take your mind off things. Oh and the euphoria after a run is just inexplicable, I urge you to try it.

rant: sore throat, can't run.

edit: more accurately, I can run, but I shouldn't.

Edited by Kemaru

I feel for you bro. Nearly everyday I end up shouting at someone which gets me in worse trouble and the anger builds and the cycle just spirals right. Sometimes you may get this feeling that things are finally turning over, but then something else happens which dashes your spirit against the rocks. Emotions affect us deeply and make trying to do ANYTHING a struggle. I don't know about you but sometimes (not always) when I'm angry or bitter or whatever the emotion is, I take my axe (yes an axe) out to the woods behind my house and hack down younger trees, hack off the upper branches, and use the thick trunk (branch) to smash things like the old riding mower behind our shed. It's hard to find an outlet for your emotions, and having others treat you like trash or retarded doesn't help.

One thing I will say about your chapel comment, it's seems that if she just spoke at church she should be acting more godly. For her to say that to you shows that she was not in the mindset to be speaking. When you say speaking, do you mean like a pastor teaching a service, because it isn't the place of women to pastor a church in the first place. (Don't judge me, it is in the Bible, take it to God if you don't like it)

Edit: However if she was a guest speaker then that is ok.

They have "Middle School Chapels" and she lead one.

I have found in life that you are as happy as you make up your mind to be.

My advice to you: If you can't change your circumstances, change your outlook.

Also, if you own a camera and want some quiet, go outside and take some pictures. I find it to be a very relaxing hobby (as long as I don't expect to be taking prize winning pictures).

I have tried, multiple times... The smallest thing can set me off, like for example just now I was playing on my Xbox and I was putting my mic's charger cord into the thing and my finger hit the touch button and turned out the power... someone should have noticed that as a design flaw...

A great way to handle stress is to take up running. It might be frustrating at first, but it really helps you take your mind off things. Oh and the euphoria after a run is just inexplicable, I urge you to try it.

rant: sore throat, can't run.

edit: more accurately, I can run, but I shouldn't.

Anything that is frustrating and takes a while to become fun isn't my thing. I've tried martial arts, guitar, piano, and so on before only to become frustrated with the repetitive tasks and ending each practice with nothing to show for it. Then I feel bad for wasting my parent's money. Right now, the most relaxing thing I can do is to sleep, and sleep, and stay in the quiet - alone - where I can think and rest. Otherwise, I don't do much...

Edit: Oh. And thanks for bothering to reply, too. I hate to be the guy that throws out all the solutions, but I always end up doing so...

Edited by AGJM

AGJM - "Anything that is frustrating and takes a while to become fun isn't my thing" is the motto that most of my students live by. So they hop from thing to thing & never find what it is they are looking for. You know when people say that anything worthwhile takes time & practice - believe it!

Otherwise I would have given up with PDN, raising kids, getting my teaching degree, relationships, driving a car...breathing.

Rant:

I want to get this black Fedora I've been desiring for months, but I can't because my parents are using it as a sort of bargaining chip against me. It sucks.

Contradiction - you can get it - what are your parents asking you to do or not do? Give them what they want & you will get what you want. Easy peasy.