Sign in to follow this  
Rainshadow

Rants *enter at own risk*

NMD - I hope you were not awake then? Usually I am the one alone here...being down under & all.

No I was not. I saw it today!

Rant: this winter sucks it's February and often hot out!!!

Edited by NinjaManDan21

Yeah, that was part of my testimony about Napster ... how many times or formats do I need to own before it is illegal for me to "aquire" a digital copy of something I may have already purchased 5 times over ...

Very uber grey area, but still BS to expect me to buy digital only when I already own 7 versions or more of say the White Albumn ... Got a crappy physical copy? Chances are the store wont take it back. I say you're simply replacing defective merchandise.

My rant: It's like 45 deg Celsius with 96% humidity & I have to mow the yard.

I feel a migraine coming on even thinking about it.

I feel your pain. Had to do the exact same thing yesterday. It's way to hot in Queensland this year, ironic since half the state is flooded.

Overwhelmed is an understatement.

Lets start with my house... It is tiny. It is about 1000 square feet. Six people (my family and I) are like explosive bumper cars in there. Plus, it stinks all the time - I even sprayed a bit of that citrus spray, but the stench came right back. You can never get a moment of peace and quiet. My younger sister's singing teacher thinks it's good to teach kids falsetto first, so she runs around the house singing Justin Bieber and some "BTR" (that's what she calls it... I don't know what it is) in an extremely awkward high pitch that moves straight through the walls. May I mention that she complains if I have my music on without headphones?

Next, there is school. The school sucks. In Eighth grade, we are given WEEKS to write anything more than a paragraph... If I go to school, I want an education, not a self-esteem booster. It's sad, seeing how little some of the students know. I think it is a bit behind to have a thirteen year old student not know the meaning "Regent" or "Obsequious". The projects are easy, too. For our science class, we had to do a powerpoint on a topic that relates to Earth Science. It had to be at least two minutes long and informative, and partners were allowed. Easy, right? SOME OF THEM FAILED. I thought mine was terrible at first, but he gave me extra credit just for meeting the criteria. Some of the teachers don't even bother to enforce rules, either. Get this - the school I go to is supposed to be harder than public school. No wonder America is behind in education. I had to write front-and-back page essays in a 45 minute period. That's probably easier than what some of you had for eighth grade, but it still beats where I am now.

Next, Church. I used to love church. Now, it's just a form of punishment for my parents. If I'm bad, I have to go to the second service and re-hear every word of the sermon with a slight change in music. Otherwise, I have to go to the youth group or Sunday School. Some kids at youth group (just grades 6-8) are still only four feet tall, and still think that it is cool to be rude to the girls.

I wish more than anything to go back to Florida. The kids there weren't nice, but it (100% from my heart, not for effect) the church made it worth it. It was my sanctum, but like all good things in my life it has been taken away from me.

Finally, just everyday stress. When a kid in PE hit my neck with a fruit, the teacher told him not to throw things. I threw the fruit at the fence (I thought I would be in trouble if I threw it at him, sadly that would only be the case at my old school) and it split in two. Looking back, I wish I nailed him with it. Things like this happen to me all the time... Half the time, I manage to put them out of my mind. The feeling always lingers, though.

Honestly, I think everything just sucks. Kids my age think life is fun and games, but it isn't. Its fun and games until someone gets hurt... the games didn't get past the first day of school. They think that they'll have the world handed to them on a platter. They don't care about education, college, or even saving money. They care about video games, being popular, and being able to pull of a "360 no scope" in call of duty. None of them see why I'm serious about things. They think a song that goes "If your climbing up a ladder and your butt starts to splatter" is more important than paying attention. Oh, and get this, after they are done goofing off and they get time away from the teachers, they say that the teachers don't teach. I think it would be best that they go back to kindergarten to learn how to listen... I may know what is being taught already, but they don't.

I hate to act like I'm better than them, which I'm not. I'm simply annoyed by the fact that they think I'm lesser to them in most aspects because I do better education wise. One got mad at me because SHE CHOSE TO LOOK AT MY HISTORY TEST that I got a 104 (yes, out of 100) on.

People drive me insane these days...

I can't even get my anger out by writing about it... I really want a change in pace. I think I'd be better off somewhere else, but I'm stuck where I am. I'll make the best of it, but according to my teachers I've already learned the majority of things besides math that I will learn up to 12th grade.

I hope I move again sometime soon...

Edited by AGJM

Yeah, that was part of my testimony about Napster ... how many times or formats do I need to own before it is illegal for me to "aquire" a digital copy of something I may have already purchased 5 times over ...

Very uber grey area, but still BS to expect me to buy digital only when I already own 7 versions or more of say the White Albumn ... Got a crappy physical copy? Chances are the store wont take it back. I say you're simply replacing defective merchandise.

I got a $50 iTunes gift card for Christmas. I entered the code and it told me to log in. I logged in and entered the code and it said that the code had already been used. The money is nowhere to be found, and the store wouldn't replace it...

I got a $50 iTunes gift card for Christmas. I entered the code and it told me to log in. I logged in and entered the code and it said that the code had already been used. The money is nowhere to be found, and the store wouldn't replace it...

Ouch. Though it will take some hassle, hit up the Itune customer service folks until they track down where it was used. This happened to a colleague of mine, and after about 3 weeks of emails he got them to give him a new one. Fraud on those things is much higher than they'd like to admit to. That was about two years ago. I'd hope they have a better process in place now to reach some form of advocate.

That's one time when you think it would prompt a double entry "please call" flag ... Greedy buggers the lot of them. All things considered, its worth your time to hammer at them until they relent.

I hate to act like I'm better than them, which I'm not. I'm simply annoyed by the fact that they think I'm lesser to them because I do better. .

I like this.

I have to say that I agree with you - just today, I had to deal with a fellow Year Nine who thought Denmark was the jeans section of Primark (I kid you not) - but at some point you just need to give up. It's their life to ruin with idiocy, not yours; when you're miles ahead of them in a job paying five times as much as theirs, they're the ones suffering. The only thing you can do is try to help them when you can, or just move on and ignore the stupidity that plagues society.

• Upvote 1

I'm lacking in motivation... Fortunately, this term is almost over, and after the exams I can get my act together and start off a clean slate.

I'm lacking in motivation... Fortunately, this term is almost over, and after the exams I can get my act together and start off a clean slate.

I am feeling the same right now too. And I'm too old for exams. I don't even have anything to inspire me, I hope this creative drought ends soon. :/

I hate it when I can't be myself. I'm naturally a dark person. Earlier, with my group of friends (who are online friends, actually.../foreveralone.jpg :P) we were being sarcastic about pronouncing our names. They were worshiping themselves. They know I'm a dark person, so I sarcastically said "I pronounce "AGJM" as "Suicide Risk". One of them was acting like I thought that should put me above them.

I hate it when others think they can choose your motives an be right, too.

I don't know. The sad fact is I can't prove them wrong, and they can't prove me wrong - and if I let go and walk away, they think they've won and make a fool of me. I know this shouldn't bother me, but it effects my reputation with them for a while. They are like elephants, they always remember. I can't bring myself to walk away. Even when I do, they bring it back up later - calling me a quitter, looser, and so on.

I can't bring myself to quit going onto the IRC with these guys either. It is one of the few places where people actually listen to me - or are capable of carrying on a conversation about what I am talking about without making me water down everything I say.

Rant 1: Chasing Pavements by Adele describes quite well what I'm somewhat feeling at the moment.

Rant 2: I have to tell someone I'm not interested in him. I want to be friends though. :/ So hard.

Probably because everything you wrote is laughably wrong. But that's a discussion for somewhere else.

I highly recommend you watch Carl Sagan's Cosmos. It's old but very good, and will fill in some of the things which you have wrong or misunderstand. You don't have to change your over-arching opinions and beliefs, but it's important to at least have your facts straight. You clearly have curiosity about this stuff, and that's a fantastic start, but some proper education will go a long way. (Especially if it's Carl Sagan! I could listen to him all day long. Even if he's talking about garbage trucks or hamburgers or whatever.)

• Upvote 1

Clarify "laughably wrong"

Are you saying the things he is presenting don't fit with the point he is trying to make or that you are on the other side of the debate?

I agree Agjm, that you should proof-read, revise, edit and research some more before you present your writing. It needs to be well backed, as well as give opportunity for thinking. Pose questions that make them want to follow your thought and consider what your saying. (even if they're only doing it to attempt to prove you wrong) In fact, I encourage you to dare them to try and prove evolution (or give their reason for believing it).

Are you saying the things he is presenting don't fit with the point he is trying to make or that you are on the other side of the debate?

Both, but which side of the debate I'm on isn't really important and I'm not interested in starting a debate on the subject here. You can still have the opinions/beliefs that AGJM is expressing along with the correct facts and understanding. They are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

• Upvote 1

Agjm, I advise you to use "Nuts for Skeptics to Crack" by Billy Sunday, and "Evolution" by R.G.Lee

Both works are well written for the purpose you have in mind. I promise you they won't be able to upfront refute them, they can't only try to dismiss it.

Nuts for Skeptics to Crack even explains how the "Burden of Proof" is on Unbelievers

"The burden of proof that the Bible is not the Word of God is on those who reject it, not upon those who receive and believe it. And if the Bible is man-made, then man ought to be willing to put the theory to the test. If man made the Bible, he ought to be able to make as good a one, if not a better one. As my friend, Mr. Bryan, said, judged by human standards, man is prepared today to write a better book than the Bible because the characters in the Bible describe the deeds of one nation―that of the Jews who lived among the hills and the valleys of Palestine, a country no larger than the State of Rhode Island. They did not have the printing presses that we have today and they lacked the learning; they had no great libraries to consult; they had no steam, no automobiles, no telegraph to bring the news of the world and put it on their breakfast tables for a few pennies. Science had not yet unlocked nature's doors. The rocks below and the stars above were all holding their secrets form mankind. What a scanty supply and storehouse they had to draw on, compared with what we have today; yet the Bible grapples with every problem that confronts the human race from the creation of the world to our existence here and our life beyond the tomorrow. It sets up signpost to warn us of dangers if we refuse; the blessings if we will yield.

Let the atheists and materialists and agnostics or any other kind of a "tic" who doesn't believe it produce a better book, if he can.

Go to all the books from all the libraries of all the nations of all ages and cull out of all these books all that is good and noble and pure and inspiring. Go and glean from the fields of geology and botany and astronomy and science and then embody your results into one book; I defy and challenge you that you cannot produce a book that will touch the hem of the garment of the Bible if you take the best out of all the books of all ages in the world.

The atheists and agnostics and the materialists must confess that they ought to be able to make a better book, but they have tried time and again, only to fall back hopelessly with despair."

Edited by NinjaManDan21
  • Upvote 1

Oh dog.

Rant: Summer holiday is just around the corner, and I still haven't got a job. :/ If I'm going to live alone for two months I'm really going to need an income...

E: Of course I could always apply for a job at a telephone marketing service... I wouldn't be exactly raking it in, I suppose, but some money is better than none, right ?:) Just have to keep hoping that I'll get called for an interview.

Edited by Kemaru

Funny you should mention tele - marketing. They are doing my head in !!

Between 6pm and 9pm most nights we get on average 6 calls asking if I want to claim back mis-sold insurance on any loans I've taken out. Like I'm going to give my bank details to a firm phoning from an international number :evillaugh:

Hopefully they understand my language when I've said Nooooooooo so many times I can't help but erupt.

On the religion issue ... I prefer to have my views and not push them on anyone else, and vice versa. No good ever comes of debates about it in my experience. Each to their own unless they're harming someone

"The burden of proof that the Bible is not the Word of God is on those who reject it, not upon those who receive and believe it."

Sorry, but that premise is completely incorrect. The burden of proof in any scenario is on the person stating that something is true, or that something happened, etc. You can't prove a negative, and you also can't prove or disprove unfalsifiable claims (which is much of religion, for better or worse). If you want to have a discussion about proof then you have to start on the right footing and you can't just make up your own rules of logic and proof. There's a very good reason why the courts in the United States require burden of proof to be on the side of the prosecutor, not the defendant. Heck, as a simple mental exercise try proving a "simple" negative, such as "I did not eat tofu yesterday" (unless you really did, in which case try proving you didn't eat steak). You can prove it to yourself just by recalling your memory of what you did eat. But how would you prove that to someone else? What proof could you give them? In much the same way, religious beliefs are not falsifiable, and thus cannot be disproven (in some cases they may not even be provable or disprovable "in principle," which is actually a rather interesting topic).

I'm not trying to squabble about religion, or even say snide or condescending things about other people's beliefs. I'd mostly prefer to keep that kind of conversation out of this forum. Notice that I haven't said anything about religion itself, only about how it should be discussed in the context of proof. In general we're all on the same side. It's fine to hold these as personal beliefs and I'm not going to ask you to prove it to me as a requirement for me extending a standard level of civil courtsey. However I simply will not accept "proof" for something which lies outside the very definition of what is even provable, nor will I accept that something cannot be disproven when it is outside the definition of what is unprovable (unfalsifiable).

• Upvote 3

[/font][/color]

Heck, as a simple mental exercise try proving a "simple" negative, such as "I did not eat tofu yesterday" (unless you really did, in which case try proving you didn't eat steak). You can prove it to yourself just by recalling your memory of what you did eat. But how would you prove that to someone else? What proof could you give them?

A post-mortem and checking stomach contents could be quite conclusive ... albeit a bit extreme ...

Yes, so you successfully passed that part of the exercise.

Now try extending it to what you ate 1 month ago. You can keep a meal diary, sure. That isn't proof though. You can easily prove that you did eat something (video record it?), but to prove that you did not eat something is a much different ordeal.

• Upvote 1