Sign in to follow this  
Rainshadow

Rants *enter at own risk*

yeah, it is absolutely weird this year... normally I am freeeeeeeeeeeezing realy quick, but this year I got my wintercoat out of the closet half December!!! we had a little snow today but it was gone within an hour...

anyway... Valentines Day is coming up, are you going to do something with it? I'll get the best present ever!! not :( have to go in surgery, my wisdom teeth are not going to come through since they are UNDERNEATH my normal teeth and grown together or something... blegh.... so it has to come out under surgery.... nice day of LOVE, lol

Its too bad we're still getting enough data to work with for weather. The ultimate test in modeling horsepower for sure on many levels ...

Based just on the short history of data collected, this weather pattern matches up though with the El Nino/La Nina shifts. Variations as to specific regional drought patterns or other influences are part of larger model issues, but the base prediction for warmer weather in the South etc is right on track.

All the factors that lead to the cyclic change from LA to EL still do not seem to be concrete, however this has been an observable swing in recent history. Massive energy swings. Kinda neat.

Here's an excerpt from the NOAA here in the US below. Obviously its North American centered, but the oceans touch other shores, and thus the affect is global in scope. It specifically mentions the weirdness many are experiencing with regards to uncharacteristically warmer winter weather (source link):

"

La Niña impact on the global climate

In the U.S., winter temperatures are warmer than normal in the Southeast, and cooler than normal in the Northwest.

Global climate <a href="http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/impacts/cold.gif">La Niña impacts tend to be opposite those of El Niño impacts. In the tropics, ocean temperature variations in La Niña tend to be opposite those of El Niño. At higher latitudes, El Niño and La Niña are among a number of factors that influence climate. However, the impacts of El Niño and La Niña at these latitudes are most clearly seen in wintertime. In the continental US, during El Niño years, temperatures in the winter are warmer than normal in the North Central States, and cooler than normal in the Southeast and the Southwest. During a La Niña year, winter temperatures are warmer than normal in the Southeast and cooler than normal in the Northwest. See U.S. La Niña impacts from the National Weather Service. Also see this graphically in plots of temperature and rainfall anomalies in El Niño and La Niña years from Florida State University. An anomaly is the value observed during El Niño or La Niña subtracted from the value in a normal year.

Edited by delpart

delpart, you sound like the weather blogger of the local newspaper site. Tomorrow it's going to be 60! But, thankfully, there's a sense of normalcy on the horizon with a possible winter storm coming to Virginia. Oh how I dread driving in the snow and being stuck in traffic because some idiots think a car with front wheel drive can go anywhere in snow. Uh, no. I had an Elantra once, and barely could make it over a hill with thin sheen of ice.

ailsin, I don't envy you at all. I had my wisdom teeth extraction years ago, and it wasn't that fun. The worse part was the nerves waking up, and it felt like I had no bottom lip. I'm sure it was amusing to my mother while I was making sure my bottom lip was still attached.

@Red Bread, I have no doubt that solar flares are wreaking havoc to the atmosphere with the pollution damaging the ozone layers (one of our line of defense against radiation from sun), I think there's much more to it than meet the eyes.

Edited by Lance McKnight

The whole Ozone thing has been blown WAY out of proportion! First off, this "hole" in the ozone layer is only ever over the North and South Poles which effects nobody. Second the hole naturally expands and shrinks every like 5 years. And on that note, the banning of CFC's was a stupid idea, since that accounts for less than 5% of any changes and no deaths have been connected to it, and the difference with to without is like .003% . CFC's keep food fresh and are the best fire extinguishing substance ever, nothing has come even close. CFC saves lives not the banning of it.

Sorry, I just really hate the media/science bogus talk about global warming and the ozone layer etc. , it's all slight, irrelavent and exagerated!!!

I'll tell you what's overblown and irrelevant: Star Wars. Now, before you go running for your torches and pitchforks, know this: I absolutely love the original trilogy, and their importance in the world of cinematic effects cannot be overstated. Having said that, the market saturation that George Lucas has foisted on the public with those silly prequels has really soured me on the whole franchise.

Case in point: Episode I: The Phantom Menace is being released in theaters--AGAIN--in February, no doubt to be followed by episodes II & III in the coming months.  Really?!  It didn't make enough money the first time around?  How much is enough, George?  

Edited by RedBeard

@Lance: Yeah, when I dive into that part of me brain, I tend to lose the more ... familiar tone I try to emulate when posting. Ooops.

@NM: Study up on dynamic systems and amount of energy needed as input into large chaotic systems to create a cascade ... Not trying to argue any of the politics of it. Just steering you into something to spend a few years studying that you may find eye opening.

@RB: Nice new sig plate mate! (I know, rant away, but this is where I noticed it first, so compliments inbound ...) Rush is so under-appreciated ...

I've no clue what Lucas is thinking at this point either with releasing what most of us die-hards consider to be one of the worse points of his career. All the racism bloody potato, etc ... But I'll probably consider seeing it, just so I can boo when Jar-jar steps on screen again. May be one advantage of that much digital compositing is being able to whip out a 3D version (we'll see) out of their respective back-sides just for the heck of it ...

Whenever they had showings of 4,5, or 6 though, that was always worth trying to catch ...

Edited by delpart

@delpart: Yes! It's nice to find someone who truly appreciates a world-class band (unlike those feckless morons in charge of the Rock 'N' Roll Hall of Fame)! Rush is, indeed, completely underrated and under-appreciated, but whether Rolling Stone wants to admit it or not, today's musical landscape would be significantly different without Rush's influence.

Thank you for the compliment on my sig. It was a lot of fun to make.

As for Star Wars: I agree, the prequels were definitely a low point in the Star Wars saga.  Too many breaks in continuity coupled with ridiculously annoying side characters--cough!*Jar Jar*cough!--made for a subpar trilogy that could not be redeemed by cutting edge special effects and awesome fight choreography.  Compared to the original trilogy, the prequels amount to nothing more than a series of really expensive, visually impressive turds.

Show-Us-On-The-Trilogy-Where-George-Hurt-You-funny-star-wars-t-shirt-george-lucas-shirt-star-wars-parody.png

Edited by RedBeard

I didn't cared for the Phantom Menace that much, but the third one with the Anakin/Darth Vader, it sort of tied together the whole original trilogy. One of the greatest irony out of Star Wars is George Lucas himself. He started out as an independent company and he detest corporations, yet look at how much power, influence, and clout Lucasfilm Ltd has had on Hollywood, especially his ILM branch.

I also had a chance to take a sneak peek at a 3D TV while my wife and I browsed in Best Buy. While I was more impressed with the gaming aspect of it, I honestly wasn't too blown away, and I think it's going to be overhyped to the point folks will eventually tune it out. Now, if they start incorporating the holodeck-like simulator, I'll listen. One of my fantasies as a kid was having my own basketball team and using the holodeck to create my own league. I can do that now with NCAA Football 12 (not the European football, mind you).

I think that the greatest Star Wars-related irony is that one of the most recent Star Wars films feels like a Star Trek film, but the most recent Star Trek film feels like a Star Wars film.

All 6 Star Wars films will be re released at the cinema and all 6 will be in 3D ( I'm all for this as I love 3D ) I agree that the prequals are pretty poor but cannot wait for episode IV,V and VI. :) Just recently bought the original versions on Blu-ray and the level of detail is stunning its like seeing them for the first time again ( I now have the original trilogy on VHS normal versions , VHS special edition, DVD normal versions, DVD special edition and now Blu-ray extra special edition )

Just realised this isn't a rant sorry. :(

Anytime an admitted fan-boy admits to helping Lucas Ltd make even more money, I'd call that a rant. I'm just as guilty of course ... But you probably open up for other people to question the validity of making 3D out of film stock that was never intended to be 3D etc.

Speaking of which, I'm all for 3D shot in 60 FPS, but this lower grade bloody junk at 24-30 with all the judders and dimness is just plain BS. The media giants have to get it through their thick skulls that cheating people leads to behavior of most considering it justifiable to steal the work on some level or another ...

To be fair 48-60 FPS ... but once you've seen 60 FPS (or higher, but 60 is at least reasonable cost) film, you'll never be happy with the current delivery means again. Crisp, clean, more depth, intense 3D, etc.

So yeah, I guess your comment did make for a rant ... :mrgreen:

Edited by delpart

^ There are other things to factor in as well, cinemas not using the right sort of lamps or not updating their screens to silver can make a big difference to the 3D effect as does the framing/alignment being out. So far only 2 films have really amazed me Avatar and Tin Tin there is also a lot of films that are rerenderred to 3D but these have been getting better the last Narnia film is a good example ( If the StarWars movies can match or improve on this I will be happy ) two of the worst have to be The Last Airbender and The Darkest Hour how these were sold as 3D I dont know, no wonder the public are not paying to see 3D.

Anytime an admitted fan-boy admits to helping Lucas Ltd make even more money, I'd call that a rant. I'm just as guilty of course ... But you probably open up for other people to question the validity of making 3D out of film stock that was never intended to be 3D etc.

Speaking of which, I'm all for 3D shot in 60 FPS, but this lower grade bloody junk at 24-30 with all the judders and dimness is just plain BS. The media giants have to get it through their thick skulls that cheating people leads to behavior of most considering it justifiable to steal the work on some level or another ...

To be fair 48-60 FPS ... but once you've seen 60 FPS (or higher, but 60 is at least reasonable cost) film, you'll never be happy with the current delivery means again. Crisp, clean, more depth, intense 3D, etc.

So yeah, I guess your comment did make for a rant ... :mrgreen:

This is one of the time when I have no clue what you are talking about...guess Minners does & others :lol:

This is one of the time when I have no clue what you are talking about...guess Minners does & others boltbait.lol.png

FPS = Frames Per Second. The more frames played in a second the better the fluidity of the film. Compare the old mutoscope style "movies" comprised from several pictures to actual film and you'll get a better idea of the concept.

muto02h3.jpg

Edited by jim100361

@Minners: Definitely was leaving out "theater control over the experience being complete (censored)" in so many cases. :mrgreen: I was focused on the GIGO base of it all. Some of the lesser 3D attempts would have retained more effect with higher frame rates. That's one thing I've noted is the subtle loss of 3D while watching some of these. Or where the action etc is too blurred/blended and there is no way with that level of reflection its going to come out. I did notice that with one run and went to a different theater with a known brand new setup to compare: no noticeable difference. Just sloppy 3D work.

But very true that the theater makes a huge difference.

@BBQ: Looks like its covered more or less. Frame rate of the of film in Frames Per Second will affect outcome. I'm referring in this case to both creation and print. High speed film is nothing new really. We all love out Science documentaries and such shot at 200+ FPS to capture detail in things. Mine was the rant on base quality of the media we're all buying and the new TV's not being setup for it, the theaters being really (censored) sometimes ...

Especially the rant on selling people "NEW AND IMPROVED! BUY NOW!," on the label, when it should really be, "Half way to mediocre! Try it now and if you like we'll sell you it all again 2 years from now ..."

I'm all for incremental technology sales. Heck, stuff doesn't happen overnight. But there are some things that are just plain geared to drain people and not deliver on the promise.

Next up in the market may be the total outing of the glasses as well. Not Holodeck, just similar without all the extra headaches (literally for me) ... We'll see though. I'd imagine most want to milk this recent golden cow a lot more.

**EDIT: Judders is a stuttering you can see that is sort of like having a tear blur your vision slightly in the 3D effect. Also effects your eye's focus quite a bit so your perception of the background gets distorted. Or basically a stuttering-blur that is distinctive to the 3D *cough* "experience."

Edited by delpart

3D movies for me are like a double-edge sword in my appreciation of them. On the one side, I think they're pretty cool. On the other, they tend to give me headaches. So, I just avoid them all together.

Just like polarized sunglasses. They make clip-ons that filter the light coming to your eyes. In this case it filters light to create the 3D illusion. I have to wear them in front of mine. Would love to own my own set to be more comfortable, but that market hasn't opened up fully yet. If you dont wear glasses, you can at least get some better grad optics for the various formats.

The best comparison is that it is like polarization. Lines things up and filters it for you.

Sounds evil :lol: I could do without a headache...Guess it is one of those things that one would have to experience first hand to appreciate it fully.

My rant: It's like 45 deg Celsius with 96% humidity & I have to mow the yard.

I feel a migraine coming on even thinking about it.

Does taking migraine medication before you get one because it makes you lose all sense of time (Ah, mowing done - gee that didn't take long!) count as substance abuse? :lol:

Well it's grey and miserable here - slushy snow and fog. Attacked by a spider last night too - I won :lol:

My Rant: - bought CD - played it on cd player - only one side of the stereo worked - ripped and played it on computer - great both sides of stereo worked - for the first track - second track dissolved into noise then stopped :( - copyright laws and 'law' generally seems to be only for those with the money to enforce 'justice'.

So if I were to 'steal' this George Harrison album from the the net, who would I be sinning against? - he's dead (sadly) - and the music company have my money already!

Can I watch 3D movies wearing a monocle ? :lol:

• Upvote 2

Rant:

Tons of users on the forum here are half way around the world so they are rarely on when I'm on! Like BBQ posted in Jim's Gallery @

12:33 am Eastern time for me!

And I have no shirt ideas!!!boltbait.mad.png

Red - can you take it back? Sounds to me like you are entitled to a refund since it is not performing its intended function. (I know a few people like that.) :lol:

NMD - I hope you were not awake then? Usually I am the one alone here...being down under & all.

BB - sux.

My rant - 7:15am & it is like 30degC.

My rant : it is minus 3, slush, ice and old snow blocking every non major road and now I have to head out to work. On the plus side the timezone in the UK will be changing soon, spring will soon be here, light nights and warmer days (I hope) will soon be here.

(off rant topic) - I have the new Pet Shop Boys compilation album (Format) to keep me company on the drive to and from work, a nice hot starbucks, plus 4 shifts off work to look forward to after tonight. Plenty of family time to be looking forward to. And I hope some major Pdn work ahead :)