It's too loaded a topic on some levels.

Short answer is yes, the language being used almost redefines copyright law as we know it. The only answer from ISP's, hosts, etc will be to have swift "guilty before proven innocent" policies in place to avoid being found complicit. Like most things of this nature it just means more lawyers and others profiting, and the normal person left with more headaches and restrictions. Piracy has evolved into an industry all its own. Just like with some other "wars" started with good intentions, it only means new ways of delivering the goods to those who seek them in an openly illegal market.

And of course, it potentially will impact the idea of free speech on various levels depending on how it gets challenged in court. Its already a major hassle if a mega-corp decides it doesn't like your "opinion" of them or their products.

I think my favorite example of this sort of insanity from the corporations who feel so "infringed upon" is Toys-R-Us going after Roadkills-R-Us ... Old website, still maintained though: MORE INFO

And even though it's a taste of insanity to most people, Negativland has been covering this topic for a couple of decades now through their work.

Gallery at PDN-Fans

It looks like the bill is going to die again. Second time Congress tried to pass a bill similar to this, and it died as well without some loud protest.

The way technology is going these days, almost everything on the shelves in stores are obsolete. Netflix, Hulu Plus, Vudu, and YouTube are making DVD and music CD obsolete already. Soon, we won't even need a console to play Xbox, Playstation, or even Wii. Everything will be streamed these days.

And to think that Star Trek's fantasy gave life to those technologies we are seeing...

Officially retired from this forum. Have a nice day.

Defeating SOPA and PIPA will not be enough. We need to get these magnificent morons OUT of congress or bloody potato like this is gonna pop up year after year after year. Besides the obvious bills like SOPA/PIPA, they're going to try to pass identical legislation piece by piece under the pretense of "protecting the children" and "fighting terrorism."

ALSO SO TIRED OF ALL THIS SPAM

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

It's interesting to me that, aside from acknowledging the massive internet blackout protest yesterday, the mainstream media has patently ignored the whole SOPA/PIPA issue. For anyone who thought that the MSM had a shred of journalistic integrity to it,

should put that notion to rest.

Anyway, this is the last I'll post about it. Don't mean to beat a dead horse.

It's interesting to me that, aside from acknowledging the massive internet blackout protest yesterday, the mainstream media has patently ignored the whole SOPA/PIPA issue. For anyone who thought that the MSM had a shred of journalistic integrity to it,

should put that notion to rest.

Anyway, this is the last I'll post about it. Don't mean to beat a dead horse.

No worries mate. It's a forum, not a chatroom. 6 months from now would be too late. Same week reply on topic is almost instantaneous for all that.

And no surprise there ... , the news is driven by too many concerns that involve revenue generation to let something like actual news influence their decisions. :lol: Still good sources of news available from the AP Wire filters etc. You just cant expect to turn on a major network like CNN and actually see what's happening outside. (Even CNN's weather is a mild footnote reserved for mainly air travel notifications it seems ...)

That splash is fun from the standpoint of pointing out the only "surprise" about Perry dropping out was that it took him this long to do it publicly ... :roll:

I also want to jump on the bandwagon of asking who put the spam dogs on us ... grrrrrrr. Sort of figured the lack of other input was from having to moderate and sadly it is confirmed by Mr BB. Sorry mate, but I for one will thank you (and the rest of ya'll mods) for your diligence in this matter.

**EDIT: Turned on the MSM and noted that the DoSA from Anon were a top story of sorts this AM ... And they aren't being sarcastic about it for the most part. Guess they figured it was $$$ worthy afterall.

Edited by delpart

Gallery at PDN-Fans

The horse is not dead! And it's evil! It's an evil undead horse!

Sounds like it's time for an exorcism. Care to voluntter, pryo?

Isn't there any way to add some kind of CAPTCHA to the registration page that forces user to enter the code? On one forum, there was this video captcha that force user to wait for a bit before the "code" popped up on screen. It was annoying as heck, but I think it might warrant a look.

What if someone has never seen a cat before? What if they're scared of cats? What if seeing a picture of a cat on their computer makes them take a brick and smash it through the screen, shattering the glass into a million tiny little pieces? What if those aren't really cats at all? WHAT IF SOMEONE ASKED TOO MANY QUESTIONS? D:

I'm kidding of course, I love the idea! It starts everyone off with the mindset that they're among normal people, instead of utilitarian robots who will send you to Hell if you crack a joke :)

captainamericasigs.png
Do Pacifists Sig Battle?
My Gallery

So, for one of those silly games I play, Erepublik, someone deleted the forums my particular group has been using for over 2 years. Being the only technically minded and somewhat graphically gifted person present, the burden to create new forums fell to me, on top of a very busy week of school work. :|

I couldn't convince them to find hosting and pay for IP Boards, so we've switched from Forumotion to Zetaboards.

Ufm6Sc.png

Placeholder, new signature under construction.

So, for one of those silly games I play, Erepublik, someone deleted the forums my particular group has been using for over 2 years. Being the only technically minded and somewhat graphically gifted person present, the burden to create new forums fell to me, on top of a very busy week of school work. boltbait.neutral.png

I couldn't convince them to find hosting and pay for IP Boards, so we've switched from Forumotion to Zetaboards.

I'll have to keep that Zetaboards in mind. I wasn't aware of that one. I've used Proboards over the other freebies in the past. After your post here, I looked 'em up and was checking out their features. They seem pretty decent.

Whoops, this is a rant thread. Was I supposed to say something un-nerving instead?

So, for one of those silly games I play, Erepublik, someone deleted the forums my particular group has been using for over 2 years. Being the only technically minded and somewhat graphically gifted person present, the burden to create new forums fell to me, on top of a very busy week of school work. :|

What? They gave you no notice? In many case Pro boards seems to be quite good, esp. for a clever young fellow like yourself.

FTP servers suck bigtime! So my organisation changes from Zimbra with its cute briefcase function & I just got used to using it & bang, no warning we switch to something else. Now all the things I had flagged my contacts all gonsky! Now we are using this antiquated, backwards system that makes no logical sense after the login part. With a super fast computer (think sonic boom) its like working on a 386 machine, you can just image what it is like with the dinosaurian machines we have at work. I wish we still had our old techie guy. He never fixed things that weren't busted.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

What? They gave you no notice? In many case Pro boards seems to be quite good, esp. for a clever young fellow like yourself.

FTP servers suck bigtime! So my organisation changes from Zimbra with its cute briefcase function & I just got used to using it & bang, no warning we switch to something else. Now all the things I had flagged my contacts all gonsky! Now we are using this antiquated, backwards system that makes no logical sense after the login part. With a super fast computer (think sonic boom) its like working on a 386 machine, you can just image what it is like with the dinosaurian machines we have at work. I wish we still had our old techie guy. He never fixed things that weren't busted.

I guess this is a fine example of making a reply into a rant in and of itself!! Some people think they're so smart! (There. Am I catching on now? ....baby steps ...baby steps ...)

Strange weather we been having in the south. If it's supposed to be cold in the winter, then it's should be cold, but with how weird it has been, I haven't had much use of the wood stove to keep the house heated. Strange. I cannot remember a time when winter have been having swings in temperature.

It's strange for me to rant about the winter, I loathe winter after having lived in the New England area for 8 years, being forced into child labor to shovel driveways clear of snow, and having a love/hate relationship with the wood stove. I love the warmth the wood stove gives off, but absolutely hate the mess it creates.

*sigh* I should be thankful, I suppose, after all, millions are without jobs, and freezing.

Strange weather we been having in the south. If it's supposed to be cold in the winter, then it's should be cold, but with how weird it has been, I haven't had much use of the wood stove to keep the house heated. Strange. I cannot remember a time when winter have been having swings in temperature.

It's strange for me to rant about the winter, I loathe winter after having lived in the New England area for 8 years, being forced into child labor to shovel driveways clear of snow, and having a love/hate relationship with the wood stove. I love the warmth the wood stove gives off, but absolutely hate the mess it creates.

*sigh* I should be thankful, I suppose, after all, millions are without jobs, and freezing.

It is pretty strange weather, Lance. I'm no meteorologist, but I suspect this strange weather could have something to do with the increased solar flare activity on the sun.

yeah, it is absolutely weird this year... normally I am freeeeeeeeeeeezing realy quick, but this year I got my wintercoat out of the closet half December!!! we had a little snow today but it was gone within an hour...

anyway... Valentines Day is coming up, are you going to do something with it? I'll get the best present ever!! not :( have to go in surgery, my wisdom teeth are not going to come through since they are UNDERNEATH my normal teeth and grown together or something... blegh.... so it has to come out under surgery.... nice day of LOVE, lol