Rainshadow

Rants *enter at own risk*

One year's worth of Chemistry work, two exams worth of learning (one of which I did in May) - all gone. My Chemistry exercise book has been "misplaced" by my teacher because I was absent in the lesson he was returning our books from marking and I wasn't there (I was on some leadership course) so he put it somewhere he doesn't know either. That's just splendid. boltbait.roll.png

One year's worth of Chemistry work, two exams worth of learning (one of which I did in May) - all gone. My Chemistry exercise book has been "misplaced" by my teacher because I was absent in the lesson he was returning our books from marking and I wasn't there (I was on some leadership course) so he put it somewhere he doesn't know either. That's just splendid. boltbait.roll.png

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear about that.

Rant: my back is killing me, I must have bruised a vertebrae...

My hosting company SUCKS!!! >:O

... I'm off to find a low cost, reliable, .NET host with MSSQL.

For the record, I can no longer recommend WebHost4Life.com

My hosting company SUCKS!!! >:O

... I'm off to find a low cost, reliable, .NET host with MSSQL.

For the record, I can no longer recommend WebHost4Life.com

Unfortunately, I am in the same situation. A few people have noticed that all of my websites are down (including SpreadPaint.NET) and that isn't going to change anytime soon until I find the perfect fit. I need a cheap and reliable solution that is going to support the latest versions of Ruby on Rails and PHP, has great customer service, an instance of phpMyAdmin that doesn't suck, and something with great performance. While I haven't found anything yet, I have contacts with this group: http://bluemilecloud.com/ They are setting me up with a trial run and some monthly discounts. They have all the features I am looking for and great rates, but I don't know what to expect from such an early startup.

While I've run into some troubles recently with my host, BoltBait, I really must recommend them. I was using IX Webhosting because they are affordable, and they have extensive support (Including MSSQL). What rubbed me wrong was their claim of running the latest and greatest, yet not actually doing so. There customer service can be shaky, but it is usually great. phpMyAdmin sucks over there, but that won't be a problem for you considering you would not be needing any kind of MySQL management.

I need a cheap and reliable solution that is going to support the latest versions of Ruby on Rails and PHP, has great customer service, an instance of phpMyAdmin that doesn't suck, and something with great performance.

ASmallOrange has Rails support, don't know whether it's the latest version, though.

Personally, I like to use Heliohost for my web hosting needs. It sounds like they have everything either of you need and best of all they're free. (Hope this doesn't sound like I'm advertising for them.)

I used to use Zymic, however they're having some problems and so my site's been down for about a month now. I'm considering either purchasing a VPS, from VPSLink perhaps, or just hosting from our spare computer once we get it fixed.

If I took a shot every time I read "Can we use this [blah blah mathy stuff] to help us [blah blah more mathy stuff]? The answer to this question is yes." in this stupid textbook, I'd die of alcohol poisoning twice over every chapter.

Note: I do not recommend making drinking games out of any textbook, unless you really want to fail the class.

RANT: Emily's new boyfriend is really getting on my nerves. That's all I'm going to say, because I don't like bothering other people with my problems, but for me to be complaining about someone that's making her happy, he's got to be bad.

Edited by Rubrica

Well I highly recommend hosting.com, which is what I've been using. It used to be hostmysite, then hosting bought them. They're awesome.

They called me last week saying, "Umm so one of our technicians noticed you've been way over your bandwidth quota. For months!" ... me: "O rly?" (Not surprising)

"Yeah you're supposed to have 1 TB per month but it says you did 1.9TB." ...

me, thinking to myself: "Only 1.9? Should be way higher than that from my calculations..."

me, speaking out loud: "Oh, that's a lot!"

... civil conversation ensues where we go over the other plans available and how Paint.NET's download and updater are set up ... This results in the technician having a pretty good idea about the hosting and bandwidth requirements and other characteristics of Paint.NET and its updater. The updater supports an arbitrary # of download mirrors, for instance, so load balancing is easy. All the content on the website is static (no ASP, no PHP, etc.) and the working set should completely fit into the cache of the web server, so all I need is bandwidth -- almost no CPU or disk I/O.

Later, in an e-mail, "Dear Rick, We've decided to make no changes to your account at this time. Thanks for your continued business."

Noun

newbie (plural newbies)

1. (slang) A newcomer' date=' someone new to something. [from 20th c.']

2. (Internet) A new user or participant; someone who is extremely new and inexperienced (to a game or activity).

You're considered a newbie because you are, but everyone is a newbie multiple times in their live, but the successful ones accept it and move on. The others, well, i've got no idea what happens.. just be the former and you'll do well.