Rainshadow

Rants *enter at own risk*

Last Friday during English class my teacher misspelled "wave". She spelled it "waive. She frequently makes spelling mistakes but I thought this one was especially bad.

Context?

Waive v.t refrain from insisting on or or using, tacitly or implicitly relinquish or forgo...,

It is possible for Pyrochild to waive (his rights) and also for BoltBait to wave to Rick.

Rant: Homework

Another Rant: Motivation

Final Rant for Today: I have no idea what to write for my 7000th post.

Rant: Homework

Another Rant: Motivation

Personal experience shows there is a high correlation between the two.

Possible solution: eat chocolate & drink loads of coffee.

My rant: EER - yep, spelling & grammar or rather the lack of it. Apostrophes in particular. The misuse of apostrophes is not detrimental to the apostrophe's health because it doesn't care!

Case in point: Son gets marked down for an assignment because he notes that "today's children..." Phoned teacher to give her a quick spelling lesson & she argues that there should not be an apostrophe! According to her its hould be spelled "todays". Ok we know that all of tomorrows can come at once but seriously how many todays can we have?

Wow, 7000! :shock:

That's quite a bit of posting. How many words and sentences do you think you've typed in all of those put together? ;)

Rant: I wish time lasted a bit longer, it seems like the clocks are going at a lot faster speed these days.

Other Rant: Snow and cold.

Bah!

Maybe I'll just waste it on something stupid. I mean, after all, it's just a number.

Rant: I just realised how much of a lurker I am. I go on the forum multiple times a day and read the new posts, but I only rarely post myself, and my posts are like a couple of days apart! :shock:

Last Friday during English class my teacher misspelled "wave". She spelled it "waive. She frequently makes spelling mistakes but I thought this one was especially bad.

It's nice to know that someone so competent is handling my English education.

Our teacher is like that, too, though she's still competent. Her mistakes are minor and uncommon, but I find myself disagreeing with her too often.

It's nice to know that someone so competent is handling my English education.

Our teacher is like that, too, though she's still competent. Her mistakes are minor and uncommon, but I find myself disagreeing with her too often.

thats a rant for me too.. but ours are kinda hot.. and only 24.. so i bare over with her...

I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but my hair hurts :(

Well, the skin of my head hurts for some odd reason and if my hair moves, it aches. And I'll have to take a shower today. Rant :(

I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but my hair hurts :(

Well, the skin of my head hurts for some odd reason and if my hair moves, it aches. And I'll have to take a shower today. Rant :(

I agree with Kemaru, good advice there :)

I had that experience once -- I spiked up my hair under my hoodie, so then all the roots turned around, and when I tried to push it back down it hurt like crazy!

But it could easily be a shampoo -- especially anti-dandruff stuff can really make things weird up there.

Rant: I just realised how much of a lurker I am. I go on the forum multiple times a day and read the new posts, but I only rarely post myself, and my posts are like a couple of days apart! :shock:

Nothing wrong with that.

^ No, I represent Wisconsin. :P

Rant: Working on cutting up a website, the mock up for which was created by a primarily print-design company. They expect the cut up pages to be pixel-for-pixel with the original Photoshop documents. They don't seem to understand that Arial Narrow isn't one of the "web friendly" fonts that everyone has, so they used it for everything. They also don't seem to understand that Photoshop's text hinting and kerning are different to the rendering pipeline used by browsers, never mind the differentiation between browsers or the same browser on a different OS. :roll:

^ Really, what town? ;)

^^ Sounds like a bit of website troubles, I recently have been programming quite a bit in html and css, and it's quite a chore. But knowing that you don't have complete control over the layout makes it even worse... Too bad there isn't a good way to implement other fonts on the web that you don't have to download to view the page, or use javascript coding, etc...

^ I'm in Manitowoc. ;)

^^ There are options like Cufon that use the HTML5 canvas tag (IE doesn't support it), and things like @font-face in CSS3 (IE doesn't support it unless it's a special kind of font), but even so, Arial Narrow is a commercial font, so we'd have to purchase a redistribution license for it.

Wasn't there a project going that was going to use Javascript or jQuery to import fonts for the loaded website, and delete it from your machine when you leave the page? What happened to that?

Wasn't there a project going that was going to use Javascript or jQuery to import fonts for the loaded website, and delete it from your machine when you leave the page? What happened to that?

There might be, but that wasn't exactly the solution I came up with when I was talking to CMD about it the other day. With a bit of research I found that there is a CSS3 class that allows you to declare a font hosted on the webserver which would be 'cache installed' on the machine. Here is the class:

@font-face {
font-family: MyCustomFont;
src: url("tru.TTF") 
}

So, after showing that to CMD he informed me that is wasn't a standard class just yet, and that it wouldn't load correctly into Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer only supports the .EOT font filetype. Final solution:

@font-face {  
  font-family: " BadaBoom BB ";  
  src: url( /tru.TTF ); /* IE */  
  src: local(" BadaBoom BB "), url( /tru.TTF ) format("truetype"); /* non-IE */  
}  
.yourFontName { font-family:" BadaBoom BB ", verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;  
}
p{
font-family: BadaBoom BB;
}

http://mryandesigns.com/Test/

All standards compliant browsers will overwrite the src: url declaration in favor of the src: local, however Internet Explorer doesn't recognize the 'local' delimiter and will default to the .EOT file. The last problem standing in front of CMD's way? It was a licensed (as in 'pay for') font. :?