Rainshadow

Rants *enter at own risk*

RANT: No offense to present company, but why do we (as a culture) mourn the celebrities? What about the other 150,000 families worldwide who are missing a loved one deeply? What about the tens of thousands of men and women going to bed without their spouse tonight for the first time in years, if not decades? What about the multitude of couples crying their eyes out tonight, soaking their pillows and avoiding sleep, because their child didn't make it off of the operating table today? What about the men whose closest friends and confidantes lost the battle with cancer today?

I think this is what CSz was saying: The world is the same world now as it was yesterday. Only those very near him were so deeply affected as to have changed the world. You never met the man. It's still a tragedy that he died, yes, but what about Hedwig M. from Fort Wayne, IN (a city near Gary, where Michael Jackson is from)? What about her 4 children, 10 grandchildren, and 11 great-grandchildren? She died yesterday, too. (I've never met the woman, but she seems nice)

So, yes, it is a sad thing that Michael Jackson is dead. But it's also a sad thing that some will not be appropriately mourned or remembered because Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson just happened to join them in death.

EDIT: Please note, I don't begrudge you being sad about the death of people whose careers you watched and enjoyed. I myself was saddened by Don S. Davis' passing, and seeing the Beatles pass away is very sad for me. But look out at the window at your neighbor's pain and maybe grieve with them for a while.

RANT: No offense to present company, but why do we (as a culture) mourn the celebrities? What about the other 150,000 families worldwide who are missing a loved one deeply? What about the tens of thousands of men and women going to bed without their spouse tonight for the first time in years, if not decades? What about the multitude of couples crying their eyes out tonight, soaking their pillows and avoiding sleep, because their child didn't make it off of the operating table today? What about the men whose closest friends and confidantes lost the battle with cancer today?

I think this is what CSz was saying: The world is the same world now as it was yesterday. Only those very near him were so deeply affected as to have changed the world. You never met the man. It's still a tragedy that he died, yes, but what about Hedwig M. from Fort Wayne, IN (a city near Gary, where Michael Jackson is from)? What about her 4 children, 10 grandchildren, and 11 great-grandchildren? She died yesterday, too. (I've never met the woman, but she seems nice)

So, yes, it is a sad thing that Michael Jackson is dead. But it's also a sad thing that some will not be appropriately mourned or remembered because Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson just happened to join them in death.

EDIT: Please note, I don't begrudge you being sad about the death of people whose careers you watched and enjoyed. I myself was saddened by Don S. Davis' passing, and seeing the Beatles pass away is very sad for me. But look out at the window at your neighbor's pain and maybe grieve with them for a while.

Because they are public figures, and most people in the world know them (even like them and/or their work). That doesn't mean everyone elses' death doesn't matter. But most people don't know them, and have no way of ever knowing them.

......Let's say 1 day this forum found out the news of my death, I bet/hope many would feel sad.

Why? Because most if not all who are on this forum knows me. And because I hope somehow, the stuff I did made an impact on your lifes, open some minds...or whatever.

And Someone who joined the forum, but never said much, and people don't know much about passed away...

Would it have as much impact?

Same lost, different impact.

Because they are public figures, and most people in the world know them (even like them and/or their work). That doesn't mean everyone elses' death doesn't matter. But most people don't know them, and have no way of ever knowing them.

......Let's say 1 day this forum found out the news of my death, I bet/hope many would feel sad.

Why? Because most if not all who are on this forum knows me. And because I hope somehow, the stuff I did made an impact on your lifes, open some minds...or whatever.

And Someone who joined the forum, but never said much, and people don't know much about passed away...

I agree with both Ash and David.

I agree with David, because well, people die constantly and we're not spending any attention to them while Micheal gets more attention then ever.

I agree with Ash, because if we would pay attention for every person dying we would be spending all our time thinking about the dead. But spending no time thinking about someone close to you who died isn't human, so people sort of agreed on mourning for the people they know, not for the people they don't know, which is logical, but who of the people mourning actually knew Micheal?

I agree with David, because well, people die constantly and we're not spending any attention to them while Micheal gets more attention then ever.

I agree with Ash, because if we would pay attention for every person dying we would be spending all our time thinking about the dead. But spending no time thinking about someone close to you who died isn't human, so people sort of agreed on mourning for the people they know, not for the people they don't know, which is logical, but who of the people mourning actually knew Micheal?