RANT: This forum is too darn popular! :-) Backhanded rant, 'cause I actually love it. I spent one day AFK, and the GD&Q forum explodes! And most of them with perfectly valid (that is, non-solvable by F1 and non-rulebreaking) questions!

Real RANT, though: Tuts was a wash. I had to just "Mark All Topics Read" over there. Come on, people. Pictorium, please.

What if we created a user class that one reaches after fifteen or twenty posts, that allows them to create topics in Tutorials? I think that's possible with phpBB...

EDIT: Maybe not.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

....RANT: Forum now too slow. Come on, can't we have a happy medium?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

....RANT: Forum now too slow. Come on, can't we have a happy medium?

RANT: Can't we have two different Pictorium's, one for beginners (say, who've had it for a month and a half (Rick's tracking logs should be able to manage that, right)), and another for more advanced users (+1 and a half month's expeirence).

Either that, or ban the posting of sigs or avatars in there. It's annoying, especially for users like me who want to get feedback on something instead of seeing feedback on a 5 minute sig :?

I agree. The posting of sigs and avatars should be banned. Many a time have I posted a thing of great beauty in the Pictorium, to get comments and criticism, only to find that the page is filled with n00bs pathetic attempts at sigs etc. and their comments! However, this would be hard to enforce. Take, for example, the Tutorial forum... look at what is there half the time. N00b-y semi-coherent lines of text telling you to dray lines and use polar inversion etc.

Or, maybe we should have a password-protected "Members Club" Pictorium, whereby "members" can give users who are not yet members the password. To protect this, the password should be changed every week, and an email or PM sent around to the members of the group. However, this would effectively create a two-tier elitist system which undermines the whole point of a public forum for an open-source product... It is, though, an effective 'escape plan' to be implemented...

What do the admin and mods think?

Lorenz_84_signature_by_PhillipsJ2.png

"I am the anarchist, I am the antichrist, I am the walrus, G'JOO G'GOO G'JOOB!"

I dig a pygmy, by Charles Hawtree and the Deaf Aids. Phase One, in which Doris gets her oats.

~John Lennon

I agree. The posting of sigs and avatars should be banned. Many a time have I posted a thing of great beauty in the Pictorium, to get comments and criticism, only to find that the page is filled with n00bs pathetic attempts at sigs etc. and their comments! However, this would be hard to enforce. Take, for example, the Tutorial forum... look at what is there half the time. N00b-y semi-coherent lines of text telling you to dray lines and use polar inversion etc.

I mean, I'd consider myself a person who uses Poar Inversion a lot but I can use it well, and know quite a bit about it. Using it on a low amount for example will get a droping dimension effect, and using it with blend modes is a good way to hide it's obvious effects.

@ BoltBait us brits have to pay roughly $2 for a litre of petrol (1 litre = 0.264 172 052 of a gallon).

Edited some wrong information...

dA

Son, someday you will make a girl happy for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you & be with men that are ten times

better than you can imagine. These men are called musicians. :D

Well, we've talked about it a lot in the dAmn PDN chatroon, so I thought I should adress the issue a little bit more here. The Pictoruim.

For a lot of users, myself included, we want to advertise our art, don't we? Though at the moment, quite a few times my art's been ingnored without any comment, including my dA account aswell. I mean, I don't want to see version 55 of "ilikesigs" sig/avatar combo, or anything like that all. Also, if I remember hearing this before, that people usually just comment on one thing, and leave out everything else, so a member said why can't there be a system of where you have to comment on say, the last 4 or 5 pictures posted, and mabye if they didn't compile with that, that post would be deleted, and if they kept on doing it, they'd get banned from the Pictorium for a while, this including when your posting a picture.

Along with that, I mean, everyone wants to show off their new sig, but isn't that the purpose of "Rate the avatar/sig of the person above you" threads? So, mabye banning posting sigs and avatars in there might help aswell. I had a look through the Pictorium today, and I found it had advanced in about 4 pages overnight, most of them becoming near discussions, and not much artwork from my recollection.

Either that, or couldn't there be a Pictorium for new users, and one for more advanced members? I'm not sure how it could be made so that the distinction between the two is fair, but, I really don't want to see Clouds then Polar Inversion, or most Polar Inversion things. Mabye something which looks different than the usual lot or something which is so obvious it's Polar Inversion, but you get what I mean. Hopefully :)

Also, while I'm here, can't there be a way to stop over-done and over repeated, obvious tutorials in the the tutorial sub-forum?

The tutorial section of this forum has gone from bad to bloody potato. There are people out there putting a tuts on here and it is plain and simple bloody potato! Why do they do it? For instance there is a million and one tutorials that have just something craptastic like take your image, zoom blur, radial blur, and you're finished. WHOOPITY DO! I have only put two tutorials on here and honestly not very proud of one of them. I just think that there should be a review board for these things. If someone could honestly review a tut and say if it is good enough quality or not to be posted then so be it. If this could be done then someone wouldn't have to wade through tons of bloody potato just to get to something that would help finish something they are working on.

P.S. I don't give a gosh darn what you think about my grammar.

eatapeachhp5.png

Did ya see what BB said when he closed the Scanlines tut thread? :-)

Made me smile.

The tutorial section of this forum has gone from bad to bloody potato. There are people out there putting a tuts on here and it is plain and simple bloody potato! Why do they do it? For instance there is a million and one tutorials that have just something craptastic like take your image, zoom blur, radial blur, and you're finished. WHOOPITY DO! I have only put two tutorials on here and honestly not very proud of one of them. I just think that there should be a review board for these things. If someone could honestly review a tut and say if it is good enough quality or not to be posted then so be it. If this could be done then someone wouldn't have to wade through tons of bloody potato just to get to something that would help finish something they are working on.

P.S. I don't give a gosh darn what you think about my grammar.

A bit like NG's flash portal?

I agree. The state both the Pictorium and the Tutorials sections have, lately, been terrible! Curse you, you enthusiastic, community-minded n00bs!Why do people have to make tutorials as their first posts? Why?

Lorenz_84_signature_by_PhillipsJ2.png

"I am the anarchist, I am the antichrist, I am the walrus, G'JOO G'GOO G'JOOB!"

I dig a pygmy, by Charles Hawtree and the Deaf Aids. Phase One, in which Doris gets her oats.

~John Lennon

From the last page:

RANT: Transformers is too awesome...

So, I finally saw that movie on Saturday. All the video rental shops have been rented out ever since it was released, so I finally just decided to buy it. Good movie. (I think Shia's performance was better than you gave him credit, though... :P)

Excellent special effects integration, which is usually one of my biggest complaints in CG-laden films. The color matching was great, making the CG look like a part of the scene as a whole. Also, wonderful integration between CG 'Bots and practical debris.

Crappy DVD production values, though, a problem common to DreamWorks recently. Plain silver disk label with "Trans Formers" cut into it, no insert other than an advertisement for winning the Bumblebee Camaro, and no special features other than a mislabeled bonus disk - It claims to be a pre-story narrated by "the voice of Optimus Prime," but it's actually narrated by the voice of Bumblebee... Oh well.

Oh, and Megan Fox is still gorgeous. :)

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Who's looking at her fingers?!?

What about the eyes? They're enthralling...

See?!? It's the eyes, mon!

@CMD - Pyro's going to be upset with you for posting another image of Megan Fox.

I sound like such a dork!

Dork... <_<

@CMD - Pyro's going to be upset with you for posting another image of Megan Fox.

I didn't post the image, I posted a link. But perhaps I should have included a warning... <_<

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype