Rants *enter at own risk*

I am so miffed at people who care not for grammar or spelling. For instance, it's spelled "Definitely" - there is no A in the word!

Oh, and "They're" means They Are. "Their" means what they own. And "There" is a definite place that is not here. The words are not interchangeable! You must use a specific one for the purpose!

Then there's "Here/Hear." "Here" is a definite location near the indicator; "Hear" is what you do with your ears.

And finally, it's Paint.NET, not Paint. If it were Paint, you wouldn't need a forum - it has about as many features as my wristwatch! Paint.NET is a much more powerful program. And need I remind you -- the name is at the top of every single page on the forum!

I swear, text messaging and Myspace have ruined writing for good. Am I the only holdout that knows what a sentence is anymore?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Completely agree, david. To further what you have said, these are supposed to be the basics that were taught at the start of schooling, set in for life, never to be lost. Instead it appears that the growth of such Internet languages is becoming so much so that it has evolved the English language into a whole new one and forgetting the fundamentals of the old; I have seen dictionaries for the 'l33t' slang, just going to show how mainstream it is. Even where writing English is a necessity there are still cases where, mainly, youths have no idea they are writing non-standard and complain when someone points out their mistake. Ludicrous. Can't say I have never slipped up once or thrice, but that was accidental, and on the whole I have seen my error and corrected it, never have I thought "yes, I meant to say 'that ring is there's, as it says so wear I found it'".

Then again, we have to remember how the English language has evolved over the last two centuries. Two hundreds years has seen so many modifications and tangents of our language it is unbelievable, even the last fifty years, not to mention that slang in use today is not unlike the contraction of words that were practised in the times when Latin was the dominant language (usually to save on page space and cost of writing material, much like when text speak begun that too was to save space, therefore money for the message). For example, the '%' character is a shortening of 'per cento' meaning 'per one hundred', and it is surprising how we use, quite unknowingly too, the archaic form of txt speak (purposely miss-spelt) virtually every day. We have to recognise that the English language is yet again taking another turn and it was bound to happen, eventually, and whether for good or worse, it is here to stay.

But no david, you are no the only holdout, there are still the few of us who wield the sword of standard English with pride.

And finally, it's Paint.NET, not Paint.

Nor is it Pain.NET. People mistype that all the time -- I even had a magazine ask me if they could put Paint.NET on their cover CD. I said, "no problem, just make sure you don't mistype the name in the magazine too!"

And then there are those who mix up Washington State University and University of Washington. "Paint.NET was created at University of Washington..." No, not even remotely true. The two schools are 300 miles apart and vastly different. I saw a blog the other day that used both school names: WSU in the title, UW in the text. *bonk*

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Rants start

Rant 1

I try to type in a coherent fashion so that people can understand me. Simple as that. 1f 1 w4n73d p30p73 2 1gn0r3 m3 1'd typ3 lyk ths. What is also annoying are people's myspaz pages when they've got a moderately opaque grey over all their text & you can barely read it even if it is typed properly. That is why Facebook (achem) pwnz.

Rant 2

I tried using FF portable at college the other day only to find that it didn't work :( Their normal browser (IE6 :evil:) worked fine so it could be something to do with the proxy or something, unfortunately I know nothing about that kinda thing. I did have a look through the troubleshooting for firefox portable & downloaded a proxy get thingymajig, I hope that works, IE6 sucks worse than an industrial strength vacuum cleaner.

Rants end

dA

Son, someday you will make a girl happy for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you & be with men that are ten times

better than you can imagine. These men are called musicians. :D

I'm all for the advancement of language. Heaven help us if we all still spoke Lingua Latina! Language grows, it changes, it develops. New words must be developed for new concepts; old words must be deprecated. New spellings emerge, for ease of use. New grammatical structures are put in place. Old ones are eliminated. But all of these changes are made in the interest of common understanding! Ease of comprehension should be paramount across all speakers of a certain language. But the emergence of 1337 (and fluent 1337 typists!) so obfuscate the language as to make it a completely new one. Now, I admit I use some 1337 loanwords - FTW, pwn, r0xx0rz, and perhaps one or two others. But I've even stopped using LOL and ROFL - it just seemed to strike me as childish. Grammatically correct, finely punctuated, properly capitalized, well-spelled sentences have a manner of beauty about them; it just looks more appealing!

Think about it. Would you rather read a sentence like this:

"Paint.NET is a free, open-source graphics editor for the Windows operating system."

or this:

"paint.net is a free open source grafix editor for teh windows operating systme"

Who would you take more seriously? Whose word would you accept more readily? Who would you assume is older, more learned? And which sentence looks better? But most importantly, whose software would you download?

Honestly, that's one reason I chose to download Paint.NET; I saw several well-written reviews and thought, "These people know of what they speak!" Then I saw GIMP reviews, and thought, "I'm sure they're smart, but I will not partake in 'teh 1337nness taht iz GIMP!!!!!11!!!11!" Kudos to the forum, to the users, and especially to Rick and the mods for enforcing some modicum of English readability on this board.

Oh my gosh, I sound like my high school English teacher... :-)

Question for the PdN users of the UK: do you think the two primary dialects of English (British and American) are departing one another at such velocity, they'll eventually become separate languages? I think a case could be made for it...and I don't like the idea one bit.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

Oma, that's all I ask, honestly. There's a big difference between people who make honest mistakes and people who just don't care enough to learn... I think you fit in that first category. Besides, I like you. :-)

though my spelling and grammar isn't that good, i also agree with david and i still try and use the right.....whatchmacallit...... :oops: ....(i don't really have a good vocabulary either)

Rant:

Homework!! i hate it, i have triple the homework than everyone else in my school, and my parents still want me to do after school studies! it's very hard and frustrating i have 3 pages to memorize (from a language that I am not the least bit familiar with) and 6 reports to do...i have 2 "religous" fucntions to go to (religous my foot :evil: ) and 6 reports to do and 4 tests to study for all next week...i could go on a lot but i think ill stop.

Question for the PdN users of the UK: do you think the two primary dialects of English (British and American) are departing one another at such velocity, they'll eventually become separate languages? I think a case could be made for it...and I don't like the idea one bit.

I don't think so, but I've only been on the planet 9 years so I don't know what it was like in the first place. Then again, look at how in Italy Latin gradually turned into Italian(Is that what it's caled?).

@ David's language question.

There already are some differences in the American & British / English languages but we can still communicate with each other very easily. The differences that I'm referring to are things like Jam / Jelly, Jelly / Jello & also some spelling differences such as colour / color (English versions are bold American versions are in italics).

As for further separation of languages, even if we do drift apart more I don't think it will be to detrimental to our communications. Within Britain there are lots of different versions of our language & yet we can all talk to each other & I'm sure there's a very similar thing in the States. If you want an idea of an American having trouble understanding "English" watch a film called Snatch, it's quite violent & not very subtle but it is very good. :)

dA

Son, someday you will make a girl happy for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you & be with men that are ten times

I don't think so, but I've only been on the planet 9 years so I don't know what it was like in the first place. Then again, look at how in Italy Latin gradually turned into Italian(Is that what it's called?).

Yep, it's (note contraction of IT IS, not possessive its) Italian... I feel the same way as virtually every poster in the past two pages, good grammar is the only way to go. If that means schools trying to teach *shock and horror*, or the twelve-fifteen year old people trying (this isn't so hard - I'm fourteen, and if I can, surely others can). The only concession I make to bad practices is a profusion of ellipses...

Oh, yes and at Rubrica: You've only been on the planet for 9 years... What is that implying, that you are 9 years old, in which case I congratulate you on the grounds that no 9-year old I know could create images like yours; or are you trying to say that you are an extra-terrestrial being, who descended to Earth 9 years ago?

Lorenz_84_signature_by_PhillipsJ2.png

"I am the anarchist, I am the antichrist, I am the walrus, G'JOO G'GOO G'JOOB!"

I dig a pygmy, by Charles Hawtree and the Deaf Aids. Phase One, in which Doris gets her oats.

~John Lennon

I don't think so, or at least, not that strongly. Taking your post against that of Matt's and BofD's without the indication to who wrote each, I saw no difference in writing style despite the different types of English and different teachings of English. Apart from Matt's point on spelling variance between the two, I don't see a huge diversity between US English and UK English in writing. Eventually, and many, many years into the future, there will be a stark contrast between the two languages enough to warrant them as separate as, say, English and Italian, but for the most part British and American English will remain relatively alike and will still be classified under the one mother language.

I don't think so, or at least, not that strongly. Taking your post against that of Matt's and BofD's without the indication to who wrote each, I saw no difference in writing style despite the different types of English and different teachings of English. Apart from Matt's point on spelling variance between the two, I don't see a huge diversity between US English and UK English in writing. Eventually, and many, many years into the future, there will be a stark contrast between the two languages enough to warrant them as separate as, say, English and Italian, but for the most part British and American English will remain relatively alike and will still be classified under the one mother language.

That's good to hear. I wasn't speaking of the near future, but I do think some translation issues may arise eventually. Although the fact that we're discussing this provides an interesting wrinkle: we, the two cultures, are having dialogue more readily and easily than ever before. So perhaps both languages are going to a common destination, and bringing other people who speak English often along with us for the ride?

I think that eventually, the world will only really speak English. This is simply because of things like trade & tourism.

Trade

I used to work in a hifi shop & we sold a lot of stuff to people in Korea & Japan. None of us spoke their languages, they all talked to us in English or had a translator with them. We also did dealings with some people in Italy & they all spoke English too.

Tourism

With global travel being easy & relatively cheap, more people are visiting places where they don't speak the language. This means that they either learn the language, (commonly people traveling to countries that speak English), or there are people there that speak their language (more commonly English & American people traveling abroad).

Because English is the language that the largest countries in the world speak, it will eventually become the language that everyone speaks whether they're from Britain, America, China, Japan, France, Burma, or anywhere else.

dA

Well, I was thinking the same thing. So what's my excuse? :-)

(Unless someone thinks I have a great mind. In which case, my ego has swollen as big as my post count :-))

Oh, now you've gone and done it. Good job. :-) I hereby appoint all you little people my personal servants. I expect grapes, a fan, and a couch post haste. Come along now, chop chop! :-D

Honestly, though, thank you. I'm honored by the complement.

I don't think so, but I've only been on the planet 9 years so I don't know what it was like in the first place. Then again, look at how in Italy Latin gradually turned into Italian(Is that what it's caled?).

Wait -- you're nine years old?!?

Okay, new rant: I wasn't NEARLY that smart 13 years ago! :-) Although within three or four years of that time, I'd taught myself basic HTML, so I suppose it's not too bad...

Oh, now you've gone and done it. Good job. :-) I hereby appoint all you little people my personal servants. I expect grapes, a fan, and a couch post haste. Come along now, chop chop! :-D

Honestly, though, thank you. I'm honored by the complement.

youre welcome :D(runs away before david gives anymore orders)