And sending them to the battlefield, where one step out of line could get them killed.

And waste the cost of a flight, fuel to get there and adding to the carbon footprint? Cheaper to hang them, and if it was publically viewable, it would serve better entertainment than Big Brother.

Calais:humorous ratio...

1:2

Interesting tidbit of information to deter from the above statement, the suffix 'able' is the most commonly used suffix and the main cause of new words being created.

The army for young people, it'd work to an extent but it could turn some of the more gentle people into complete psychopaths. Instead of having to do 2 years service in the army (as young people used to have to do), I think that 3 / 6 months worth of training in the army would straighten them out enough without endangering them that much. Killing off the next generation before it's 20 doesn't sound like progress to me.

I think the army is the best way to go for criminals. They've done something wrong & have to pay, the only problem is when they've left the army. They are then fully trained soldiers who are known for doing nasty things. This just sounds like a recipe for disaster as they'll now be tougher, & know many more ways to get what they want.

dA

Son, someday you will make a girl happy for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you & be with men that are ten times

better than you can imagine. These men are called musicians. :D

And waste the cost of a flight, fuel to get there and adding to the carbon footprint? Cheaper to hang them, and if it was publically viewable, it would serve better entertainment than Big Brother.

I find that entirely heartless, cynical and cruel. How can you even claim to care about anyone when you can justify killing someone because it's "cheaper and easier", and as for the idea of making it publicly viewable, that is entirely repugnant. I never thought it possible someone who can argue with such depth could make a comment like that. Killing is never justifiable, for whatever means. Not as revenge, not as "honour killing", not as jihad, not as punishment. You can not just take a life. Ever.

Lorenz_84_signature_by_PhillipsJ2.png

"I am the anarchist, I am the antichrist, I am the walrus, G'JOO G'GOO G'JOOB!"

I dig a pygmy, by Charles Hawtree and the Deaf Aids. Phase One, in which Doris gets her oats.

~John Lennon

I find that entirely heartless, cynical and cruel. How can you even claim to care about anyone when you can justify killing someone because it's "cheaper and easier", and as for the idea of making it publicly viewable, that is entirely repugnant. I never thought it possible someone who can argue with such depth could make a comment like that. Killing is never justifiable, for whatever means. Not as revenge, not as "honour killing", not as jihad, not as punishment. You can not just take a life. Ever.

While I agree wholeheartedly with your respect for human life, I believe Myrddin was posting in jest, though a rather morbid and cynical joke it was.

Ufm6Sc.png

Placeholder, new signature under construction.

@Matt: If they've killed or committed a violent crime once, I'm sure they can do it again, military training regardless :P.

Wasn't there a television programme on earlier this year where they took corner-hanging youths and struck them with a dealing of Army principles? Perhaps, something along those lines. Did it even work in the running of the show?

@Bobofthedead: and I see the murderers in the first place took that attitude, too. Nothing against you, I'm just saying they've taken a life so why should they deserve to live when the grieving families of the victim has to move on knowing the killer is still alive and has the chance to carry on living a relatively normal life.

I would like say that maybe public viewing and 'cheap and easy' was taking it too far on my part and I apologise if I have offended anyone, but I still stand by my opinion that the death sentence should be considered as a viable option for severe offenders.

@Matt: If they've killed or committed a violent crime once, I'm sure they can do it again, military training regardless :P.

That was my point.

Wasn't there a television programme on earlier this year where they took corner-hanging youths and struck them with a dealing of Army principles? Perhaps, something along those lines. Did it even work in the running of the show?

Dunno, I don't have a TV.

dA

Son, someday you will make a girl happy for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you & be with men that are ten times

better than you can imagine. These men are called musicians. :D

@ MattBlackLamb and CommanderSozo: Maybe full service would not work for younger offenders, say, under 20, but they could possibly do the training then be recruited into something such as the RAF, the Navy or Territorial Army, who don't have to fight like the soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan, but are still in a disciplined, regimented defence organisation. But for older offenders, the Army is definitely the way to go. As MattBlackLamb said: "I think the army is the best way to go for criminals. They've done something wrong & have to pay". However, after the army is a problem. Maybe, if the MoD could give them a halfway decent paid job until they can get set up again, so that they don't immediately turn back to a life of crime.

@ Myrddin: I'm sure it was a joke, but there is a boundary between cynicism, and just being cruel. You crossed that line. Anyway, onto another point. Let's put that all behind us. Oh, and BTW, that program you mentioned struck me as working very well. They took a bunch of no-hopers and disciplined them, and quite a few of them stayed in the Army and got promoted to Officer. If 6 weeks basic training can do that, imagine what full training and active service can do. It must be better than government-sanctioned killing.

I dig a pygmy, by Charles Hawtree and the Deaf Aids. Phase One, in which Doris gets her oats.

~John Lennon

@ Myrddin: I'm sure it was a joke, but there is a boundary between cynicism, and just being cruel. You crossed that line. Anyway, onto another point. Let's put that all behind us.

Agreed, again I apologise.

Oh, and BTW, that program you mentioned struck me as working very well. They took a bunch of no-hopers and disciplined them, and quite a few of them stayed in the Army and got promoted to Officer. If 6 weeks basic training can do that, imagine what full training and active service can do. It must be better than government-sanctioned killing.

Ah, thank you. Never saw it myself but I did catch a mere ten minutes once, and after what you said I think it would work better.

Just an idea, how about, instead of putting them through the army, we put them through a strict grammer school, where they have to get 5 GCSE grade B or above, Cant leave, Are tought manners, and the best thing about this school, is that instead of just beng carbon neutral, its carbon negative, so they have to live very eco-friendly lives.

that would shut criminals up, and get them sorted for life! isnt that what we want?

also, if they do not meet very high graded exit tests, they have to stay again.

Hows that for an idea?

siggypdn.png

Its my first siggy! I like it! So who cares what other people think :P

My TV is still a brick and I'm not sure if I can afford a new one. :evil:

My family might have a small one we'd be willing to sell cheap...

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Although I appreciate it, I think I'm going to try and get it repaired first. Shipping something as heavy as a TV would be killer. And perhaps I can convince my parents to let go of one of their HDTVs... :D

Although I appreciate it, I think I'm going to try and get it repaired first. Shipping something as heavy as a TV would be killer. And perhaps I can convince my parents to let go of one of their HDTVs... :D

No problem...Let me know if you change your mind.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

OK, why can't cords untangle themselves?! They got tangled by themselves... :evil:

I just had to move my computer--which included untangling all the cords. :(

Scissors... :twisted:

Just an idea, how about, instead of putting them through the army, we put them through a strict grammer school, where they have to get 5 GCSE grade B or above, Cant leave, Are tought manners, and the best thing about this school, is that instead of just beng carbon neutral, its carbon negative, so they have to live very eco-friendly lives.

that would shut criminals up, and get them sorted for life! isnt that what we want?

also, if they do not meet very high graded exit tests, they have to stay again.

Hows that for an idea?

I am not talking about 14-16 year old chavs here, when I say serious crime, I mean hardened criminals, who have raped or mutilated or killed. This would undoubtedly probably work for 14-16 year old chavs, who probably need disciplined lives, but not for the kind of people I have proposed get shipped off to the army...

Oh yes, and @ MattBlackLamb and David: I'm sure scissors will work very well... I used some to repair a faulty graphics card on mine before posting this... It works much better now...

~John Lennon

My rant is against mods who make users stay on topic in the thread. :-)

(see :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4577&start=4665 )

My rant is against people with the name David who are mean to other people named David. :evil:

I love...everyone...

How is THAT a rant?

drug testing

My rant: Invasion of privacy!