I don't see much of it on dA, but thats probably because I'm mainly affiliated with just the Paint.NET users.

Yeah, it's mostly the Anime/Manga freaks.

NOTE: I don't mind Anime or Manga, or their fans. I actually enjoy both. I'm talking about the F-R-E-A-K-S who eat, breathe, live, go into withdrawal without, and try to convert everyone to their Manga religion.

:lol: Yup.

This sort of emoticon upsets me the most :arrow: ()-_-()

The whole point of emoticons is that they're quick to type. That ain't. Like typing ><{{"> for a fish rather than ><>.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

()-_-()

Princess Leia look-alike.

The whole point of emoticons is that they're quick to type. That ain't. Like typing ><{{"> for a fish rather than ><>.

Like nearly all of l33t, txt, and IM speak, they say it's quicker and speeds up the conversing process over a keyboard, yet it takes me longer to think about how to shorten a name, word, phrase or character that could have been used just to type 'how are you?'.

I was with a friend the other day and she was speaking to another friend over Live Messenger, I had no clue whatsoever to what she typing, and if that's the case then it takes twice as long to decode it than type it in the first place, which again for me is wasting time. I'm all up for learning a new language, but I'm sure being taught Assyrian Cuneiform would be far easier.

()-_-()

Princess Leia look-alike.

Quite so.

I'm all up for learning a new language, but I'm sure being taught Assyrian Cuneiform would be far easier.

typ n klingon r goauld pls, kthxbye.

EDIT: Yay, 1234 posts! :-) (*iz easily amused*)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

[random own rant]

Being scotish I hate the fourth verse of the english national anthem!

Here it is, 10 points to whoever spots why I hate it, and remember that england wants a UNITED kingdom....:

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,

May by thy mighty aid,

Victory bring.

May he sedition hush and like a torrent rush,

Rebellious Scots to crush,

God save the Queen.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

*hates england*

[/random own rant]

siggypdn.png

Its my first siggy! I like it! So who cares what other people think :P

May he sedition hush and like a torrent rush,

Rebellious Scots to crush,

God save the Queen.

I'm assuming this is the part that grieves you?

May he sedition [rebellion, discontent] hush and like a torrent rush [force through, violent action],

Rebellious Scots to crush [quell, destroy, dismember],

God save the Queen.

You have to bear in mind the archaic attitudes of the British during the time the anthem was written (1600/1700s), however, and this is from the related Wiki:

This verse was abandoned soon after, and certainly before the song became accepted as the British national anthem in the 1780s and 1790s. Despite the short-lived currency of this verse, it is still cited as a reason for the anthem causing great offence when sung in most parts of Scotland.

So you see that verse was abandoned long ago and I don't know which version you go by, but it isn't the 'standard' version in use today. Not that I'm defending my home country, mind :wink:.

So now sailorboy must give ten points to Myrddin, one of the happy residents of England? How ironic.. :P

On the rant of Anime freaks: My sister happens to be all crazy about Anime. Thankfully, she deferentially accepts my disdain for it, and I deferentially accept her craziness about it.. :wink:

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

...one of the happy residents of England? How ironic.. :P

EDIT: CMD: :P. I don't want the below statement to construe as anything other than a rant and it is not directed at you or your quoted comment maliciously. I did 'lol' when I read it :).

Never said I was happy to be residing where I do, although I think 'content' covers the feelings of my homestead. However, a need to know at least some part of my home country's history, I believe, is a must and is something which is lacking in today's society. I suppose this is my rant, mediocre satisfaction of my place of residency and the fact that little is being passed on generationally about the history of our *fine* nation.

Not one for patriotism but even a small amount is essential. Don't get me wrong though, I love living in England, it's just my current surroundings and the lack of humanity in general which is turning me into a twisted young man is favouring on the less-than-desirable. I find living with people (not my parent or friends, 'living' is in reference to surrounding people and/or people in general) who have no care, no sense of respect, no redemption for their own actions, no morals, no standards and no truth to their lives impossible to like and it disgusts me that most of the people who are bringing the society/community/nation down are being spoon fed everything they want on a silver plateau by the government who should be taking actions in favour of the good ones. Order, peace and civility is crumbling at our feet and I'm seeing nothing in the way of regaining even some of that. I am fearing what the future holds dearly and I'm truly horrified that it is the current generation which could change that, aren't. I could go on...

CMD: :P. I don't want the below statement to construe as anything other than a rant and it is not directed at you or your quoted comment maliciously. I did 'lol' when I read it :).

Well, I was going to say "Brit," but I wasn't sure whether or not a slang reference as such would have been considered offensive.

I thought: "Englander? Britainian? British person? Bah! What is it for over there?"

So I just strung together a phrase in my usual quirky vernacular. :wink:

On a related note, I find it odd that the word "vernacular" refers to the common, casual conversation, yet I'm certain one would be hard-pressed to find such a word in common, casual conversation. :roll:

As to your rant on the rapidly disintegrating moral structure of your immediate surroundings, I'm most certain your microcosmic example could be applied verbatim to the world at large.

Though I literally despise Relient K, I can think of nothing better to sum this all up than the chorus of their song "Down in Flames":

We're going down, down, down in flames.

We're gonna drown, drown, drown insane.

We see the problem and the risk,

but nothing's solved.

We just say, "Tisk, tisk, tisk,"

and, "Shame, shame, shame."

Finally fell asleep on the plane

to wake to see we're going down in flames.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Well, I was going to say "Brit," but I wasn't sure whether or not a slang reference as such would have been considered offensive.

I thought: "Englander? Britainian? British person? Bah! What is it for over there?"

So I just strung together a phrase in my usual quirky vernacular. :wink:

Any one of those would have done, after all, and I hope this isn't considered insulting, most the people who I know refer to Americans in casual as 'yanks', never in formal context of course and never in an offensive manner :wink:.

Although, I'm partaking towards the name 'Britainian', very cool indeed and it should be brought into more general usage...

rK is awesome. :-)

Never said I was happy to be residing where I do, although I think 'content' covers the feelings of my homestead...(lots of rant)... I am fearing what the future holds dearly and I'm truly horrified that it is the current generation which could change that, aren't. I could go on...

AGGREES from those rare occations when I travel down there....

siggypdn.png

Its my first siggy! I like it! So who cares what other people think :P

@ Myrddin: Do you read/write for The Daily Mail, perchance? Because I read an comment in there a few weeks ago that was exactly like your post. I do agree with your views though, except for the patriotism and loving living in England/Britain. I do not feel a shred of patriotism for this country, and would love to emigrate if it weren't for factors such as school, money and friends. Oh, yes, and you say that you "could go on". Please, do. I enjoy reading your comments, I find your opinions interesting and similar to mine, and expressed in a way that is oddly compelling. Not enough people have the courage to stand against the institution that governs their lives, and you do it very well. :mrgreen:

Lorenz_84_signature_by_PhillipsJ2.png

"I am the anarchist, I am the antichrist, I am the walrus, G'JOO G'GOO G'JOOB!"

I dig a pygmy, by Charles Hawtree and the Deaf Aids. Phase One, in which Doris gets her oats.

~John Lennon

What a lot of "our" generation (people roughly my age (19)) seem to lack is a respect for people in general.

I heard a bit of a radio program earlier today about a Radio 4 (one of the big national radio stations over here) presenter going back to an estate in Liverpool where she'd grown up. This particular part of the city (the Norris Green estate), was where a 15 year old boy was shot a few weeks ago. The people that I heard on the program were a combination of older residents of the area, police officials & young people that live in the area. There was one old woman who had had paint chucked all over her garden because she had testified against a couple of people in court & they had got Anti Social Behavior Orders from the court. Part of the problem is that there is nothing, or very little, for these people to do. The other part of the problem is that they don't seem to have any common decency at all.

Something that I did hear about earlier this week was an idea that would try to give younger people a bit of respect & (hopefully) teach them a bit of community values. Read about it here. The problem with this idea is that it isn't compulsory, if it were forced on people it would have some point. Also the fact that the money they were enticed with didn't go to them would mean that they would be a lot less likely to do it. If the scheme is going to work for the people it is targeted at there will have to be a bit of a re-think.

dA

Son, someday you will make a girl happy for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you & be with men that are ten times

better than you can imagine. These men are called musicians. :D

...Oh, yes, and you say that you "could go on". Please, do. I enjoy reading your comments, I find your opinions interesting and similar to mine, and expressed in a way that is oddly compelling. Not enough people have the courage to stand against the institution that governs their lives, and you do it very well. :mrgreen:

Wow, very cool, never had a response like that before. Maybe I shall carry on in more depth later on as playing football (of all things) has drained me. However, I shall say this though: bring back capital punishment. I'm happy for public hangings although some people are for the lethal injection as it's more humane to the criminal. 'Criminal' is the subjective word and is the reason why the lethal injection is the wrong method, for the said criminal to have reached the stage where death is the final resort then they clearly must have committed some grievous crime, so why should they get off lightly with a humane death? Murderers, rapists, the ones who seem to find it's funny to stage traps for emergency services attending hoax calls, or the ones who seem to find the blatant cruelty to animals amusing to their pitiful small lives should all face a punishment that is worthy of their heinous crimes. If they were willing to cause who-knows-what physical or emotional damage to another soul then the same should be dealt for them.

The problem with the crime today, one of the main reasons for the crumbling of society as I spoke of earlier and the behaviour Matt spoke of in his last post, is that nothing is truly a punishment. Community Service, tagged around the ankle with an ASBO (the Antisocial Behavioural Order, Matt referenced), curfews, and even prison have no effect on the offender because of numerous reasons: 1) harsh they are not; 2) prison is borderline luxury to the inmates as they have televisions, gaming consoles, free meals and even beds, and chances are their sentence won't be fulfilled because of good behaviour, what's more is that a life sentence is on average twenty-six years or less - how is that life? Finally, 3) who cares what punishment they receive as they are likely to re-offend once released anyway.

Punishment is in no way teaching the person the error of their ways, they are in no way telling that person that what they did was wrong and they are in no way a working solution because of the lapse systems in use. A capital punishment of death is sure enough to strike terror into the offender but only, only, if our country is willing to actually take action as it's this easy going, Human Rights polices which are essentially saying 'take us for a ride, we can't do anything about it. Mug that old women, tie that dog outside and willingly let it starve to death, you'll be free to do it again in no more than two years time'.

Now, I know that by taking such drastic action it will be lowering the standards down to no less than the criminals who had killed in the first place, but it is necessary to bring back the order and civility which is preached by our government day-in day-out.

Apologies for bad sentence structure, vague, drifting ideas or lack of a better vocabulary, as I said football has taken far too much out of my unfit, scrawny, little body which isn't so used to such endurance. The main idea is there, no less.

Bring back capital punishment. I'm happy for public hangings although some people are for the lethal injection as it's more humane to the criminal. 'Criminal' is the subjective word and is the reason why the lethal injection is the wrong method, for the said criminal to have reached the stage where death is the final resort then they clearly must have committed some grievous crime, so why should they get off lightly with a humane death? Murderers, rapists, the ones who seem to find it's funny to stage traps for emergency services attending hoax calls, or the ones who seem to find the blatant cruelty to animals amusing to their pitiful small lives should all face a punishment that is worthy of their heinous crimes. If they were willing to cause who-knows-what physical or emotional damage to another soul then the same should be dealt for them.

Hmm... I agree with your later statements about prison being a joke. It is; the prisoners are meant to be punished, not sent to summer camp, and punishments for what currently gets an ASBO, currently viewed as a status symbol, should be made harsher. At least a year in a harsher prison.

However, I entirely disagree with your paragraph on capital punishment. No-one deserves to die. Not even those who have killed. If you kill a man, he will never be able to begin contemplating his actions, or feeling remorse, and will not have to live with the guilt. In short, death is the easy way out. His family, however, will not have that option. By answering killing with killing, you are taking another human, a human with feelings, emotions, friends and family. In short, capital punishment is murder again. Why answer bloodshed with bloodshed? Murder with murder?

However, I propose a better system. If you take all offenders who would get ASBOs under the current system, and place them in a harsher, more basic prison, without any kind of privileges, such as games consoles, get rid of the beds and replace them with a board with a mattress on, and make the food and standard of living more basic, and get rid of the ridiculous system of "time off for good behaviour" That might make offenders think twice.

For more serious offences, however, what I'd recommend is a stint in the Army, unpaid, of course. The severity of the sentence will determine the length of service. That way, not only do the convicts give something back by fighting for their country, it's also cheaper that buying the convicts PS3s, Christmas dinner, and keeping them in a luxury most hotels couldn't match.

@ MattBlackLamb: David Cameron's idea will never work. You name me 10 teenagers who would willingly give up their entire summer holiday to clean up a care home etc. who don't do it already. The money incentive is fairly pointless, as, not only does it transform it from an opportunity to give something to their country to a job, but any idiot can find a less constrictive job that pays similar, if not larger amounts over a 6-week period.

I dig a pygmy, by Charles Hawtree and the Deaf Aids. Phase One, in which Doris gets her oats.

~John Lennon

@ MattBlackLamb: David Cameron's idea will never work. You name me 10 teenagers who would willingly give up their entire summer holiday to clean up a care home etc. who don't do it already. The money incentive is fairly pointless, as, not only does it transform it from an opportunity to give something to their country to a job, but any idiot can find a less constrictive job that pays similar, if not larger amounts over a 6-week period.

Sure, as it stands the idea will be a waste of however much money they were to put into it. But if we either made it compulsory, or gave them some of the money, it would stand a much better chance of working. The way to get the people he's targeting this at to do anything is to either make them do it, or make it worth their while.

From my understanding of the article, they would only be cleaning out a care home for a week, maybe less. There would be a variety of things that they could choose from.

@Myrddin History is an important thing, if you don't know where you've been how can you know where you are & where to go? I study music at college & one of the people on my course hadn't heard of Johnny Cash, now, ok, he may not be your ideal music listening (he certainly wasn't for my fellow student), but to be a musician & not have heard of someone like Johnny Cash just seems wrong.

Edited typo :oops:

dA

Son, someday you will make a girl happy for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you & be with men that are ten times

better than you can imagine. These men are called musicians. :D

For more serious offences, however, what I'd recommend is a stint in the Army, unpaid, of course. The severity of the sentence will determine the length of service. That way, not only do the convicts give something back by fighting for their country, it's also cheaper that buying the convicts PS3s, Christmas dinner, and keeping them in a luxury most hotels couldn't match.

So wait a second...we're taking our most serious offenders, and giving them guns?!? :?

Iz wondering...

However, I entirely disagree with your paragraph on capital punishment. No-one deserves to die. Not even those who have killed. If you kill a man, he will never be able to begin contemplating his actions, or feeling remorse, and will not have to live with the guilt. In short, death is the easy way out. His family, however, will not have that option. By answering killing with killing, you are taking another human, a human with feelings, emotions, friends and family. In short, capital punishment is murder again. Why answer bloodshed with bloodshed? Murder with murder?

They committed a crime of murder, rape etc. and they deserve nothing better in return. I admit, the playing of guilt against them, the living with remorse is a good point, but then I don't see that remorse with repeat offenders. If you truly feel guilt for your actions then you wouldn't have done it again. I believe in the testament of 'fight fire with fire', if the government can beat them at their own game then so be it, if it results in a hanging or otherwise then so be it, it's one less on the streets to terrorise others. It's the starting of loss of control and I feel that some drastic measure needs implementing to at the least slow down what is happening. I would suggest bringing back the cane in schools, but with the state of play officials wouldn't plump for it as parents, social workers, friends for the people, wouldn't allow it, and when bringing this subject up with a teacher of mine he admitted he would never go to that extreme. The fact is, people (youths especially) know far too well that nobody would dare dispense such punishment even if it was law and it's this soft attitude which is core of the loosing battle.

An excellent idea, and one my parents would vouch for. A militaristic life where respect is a must, hard work is daily life, and punishment which actually works and digs to the core is an attractive solution. Perhaps this would be better suited to the younger generation (<20 years?), though, as I doubt the established mind of an adult would learn much from such a scheme, youths on the other hand can be moulded much more easily and their developing minds is the perfect place to instil the ideals which are necessary in life. It's a shame we have to think of schemes like this one as it should have been the job of the parents to broaden the child into the way of a civilised life.

Just seen T_LH's post, I agree, but you don't have to carry a gun to fight in the Army. That was kind of coined from the recent RAF advertisements; 'you don't have to be a pilot to fly in the RAF'.

@Myrddin History is an important thing, if you don't know where you've been how can you know where you are & where to go? I study music at college & one of the people on my course hadn't heard of Johnny Cash, now, ok, he may not be your ideal music listening (he certainly wasn't for my fellow student), but to be a musician & now have heard of someone like Johnny Cash just seems wrong.

Very true, an ultimate understanding of all that been isn't needed unless you're specialising in the subject or field, however, a little knowledge of where you came from, or of your home country is needed just for the fact you were born there. Even a small amout of geography is essential and there have been times when in lesson and the teacher asked a geographical question about the location of Britain, the response was little to envy - 'errm, well, phew, erm' (the atlas was labelling, by the way).

I don't want the users here, visitors included, to think I'm some form of excellent role model for all to follow, far from excellent, I'm just stating a point that the respect of younger people, adults too, is falling rapidly and it's beginning to manifest itself into its own body, and the government who has the power to do something and is there for the sole purpose to serve the British people, aren't doing so. I don't have an actual solution for the rising problem, nor do I expect anything in the way of such a solution in my life-time, I'm just throwing ideas around. And a strong idea which should broadcast is, what about your children? Yes, yours. You may be here at the start of a crumbling society, but then your children or grandchildren have to face life further in, I don't know about you but I'd rather my children not have to face an increase of social depreciation.

My rant: the British Government.

And sending them to the battlefield, where one step out of line could get them killed. At the very least, they'll get scared excrement-less, and be subjected to real discipline. It's got to be better than putting them into Her Majesty's Government's Holiday Camps for the Slightly Naughty, i.e. prison.

@ Myrddin: At least, if you do not execute a criminal, the government is showing that they are better than criminals. There is also the chance that the court system could have got it wrong. If you were head of state, and reinstated capital punishment, and a person who your law had executed for murder was proven innocent after the execution, how would that make you feel? You would have blood on your hands. If a situation like that would occur, that would be murder, the same as the crime the convict committed. By sending the convict to the armed services, that can never happen, or at least, the government can not be held responsible.

~John Lennon