How to Install Plugins ×

Glass orb generator

wizard

Hi all. I'm quite new to the Paint.NET plugins business, but do development for a living.

The first plugin I've tried to make is a generator for the glass orbs you see a lot nowadays, like this one:

PurpleOrb100x100.png

You can find a tutorial about how to make them by hand here.

Well, I won't keep you waiting, here's the download...Enjoy...

well what language is that page? i tried translating it but it didn't work
williamhernandez-3.png

Hi all. I'm quite new to the Paint.NET plugins business, but do development for a living.

The first plugin I've tried to make is a generator for the glass orbs you see a lot nowadays, like this one:

PurpleOrb100x100.png

You can find a tutorial about how to make them by hand here.

Well, I won't keep you waiting, here's the download...Enjoy...

well what language is that page? i tried translating it but it didn't work

It's in english, the same language you're writing in.....

sunsigub8.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
pagina niet gevonden

page not found

Helaas, de pagina waar je naar zocht werd niet gevonden, maar… Orange helpt je graag op weg.

2 bad, but the page you are looking for could not be found, but... Orange wants to put you on the right track.

Kies hieronder waar je naar toe wilt gaan. Geen idee waar je naar toe wilt gaan? Na 20 seconden ga je automatisch naar onze overzichtelijke homepage.

Choose where you would like to go to. No idea where you want to go? After 20 seconds you'll be directed automatically to our conveniently arranged homepage.

Klik hier om van http://www.orange.nl je startpagina te maken.

Click here to make http://www.orange.nl as your default homepage.

Kun je onze online helpdesk niet bereiken? Bel dan met onze klantenservice op nummer 0900-9515 (€ 0,20/min.)
You can't reach our helpdesk? Call our customerservice at 0900-9515 (€ 0.20/min.)

I'm a Paint.NET newbie, so please be patient with me :)

• 1 month later...

im sorry, but i think makeing orbs by hand is kinda better cuz its fun. makeing a plug in for everything defeats the purpose of tools like the pencil and stuff. kool nonethless though.

prototypelambdasig2.png

the lambda symbol is the scientific symbol of all things decaying over a rapid period of time. Or in a different subject, the photographers term of an object moveing so fast it blurs the picture puposefully.

my deviant art/

my OLD sig tutorial

my myspace... it has more photos then DA

• 3 months later...

pretty cool... a glass orb was the very first thing i ever learned to do with paint.net way back when i first got it... when 2.5 was released... this will save me a bit of time now... thx!

Sk8rboy1091Sig4.jpg

if you have any better suggestions for my sig, pm me...

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. Thanks for the plugin. Even though it does look more like an oval when it renders, it can always be cropped to the desired outcome. :)

Even though it does look more like an oval when it renders...

Try using a perfectly square (1:1) canvas.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 6 months later...

Ok I love the idea but... When I went to down load it it's all in German (I think) so I can't figure out where to click to down load (Sorry My germans a bit rusty lol)

GothMyspace-1.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I understand a bit Dutch so...

Het opgevraagde bestand/pagina is niet bekend

Het kan zijn dat je de verkeerde naam gebruikt. Controleer ook of er geen spaties of spelfouten in staan en probeer het opnieuw.

Zoek anders de juiste naam in deze bestandenlijst van Ziggo-internetters

Naar de homepage van Ziggo

This would mean that the Download is broken, right?

I'd really like to try this Plugin.

Could you fix it please?

I'm still learning, trying to get better.

Critics, even bad ones, help me.

• 2 weeks later...

eeeyyy i'd like to DOWNLOAD this but link is down and some sort of unknown language dont undarstand for that

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You have to think in 3 dimensions, know something about the light source, and know something about the surface. The discussion below gives a good approximation of the lighting for any curved surface in more than 2 dimensions.

If you look at the mathematics of reflection from a curved surface you find (for one light source)

intensity[x,y] = Light intensity * reflectance of surface[x,y,z] * cos(angle of incidence[x,y,z]) * cos(angle of view[x,y,z])

The first part is, the intensity of the light times the fraction of light reflected at that spot (a cue ball reflects more than a ball of mat black wall). We can ignore this for the purpose of painting.

The angle of incidence is the angle between the light source and the point on the surface. It turns out that the fraction of light reflected is the cosine of that angle. The same goes for the angle between the surface and the viewer's eye.

As an approximation, one can use the line between the point on the sphere and the light source and the angle to that line of the sphere surface at that point. Call that angle C. The intensity reduction due to the angle is then cos© squared.

As you draw the sphere, you calculate the angle of the centre of the sphere and the part of the sphere represented by the pixel. You then have the information to colour the pixel. You can modify this by the fuzziness of the surface, the reflectance in each of the primary colours, and any other light sources.

The orbs you see in ads and other pictures are usually done with a 3-D program that uses a technique called "Ray Tracing" to calculate the colour and intensity of each pixel.

Martin Katz, Ph.D.

P.S. I used to teach computer graphics programming as a college class.

• 2 years later...

Well, it's over four years old...the person who put it up has been inactive for almost that long...The last post in this topic was two years ago...I'm locking it. Wizard, if you come back, feel free to PM myself or another mod to unlock this.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.