A Debate for the Ages- Firefox vs Opera vs IE and more!

^Meh, I think I can live without messing with it.

Could be for the fact that FF is now 2.0.0.4, many version after 1.x.

Also with all your problems what was the version you were running and when (ish)?

And you do know that the page covers many other bugs related to 2.0 and not just 1.x, right?... Just wanted to state that back when FF was growing and being promoted as the über l33t safe browser, IE was still safer.

All FF problems I have still exist in 2.0 (think I've upgraded it to the newest release). PC becomes unreasonable slow and it just isn't worth it half the time. (Really becomes bad when I'm running PdN at the same time :P )

lbmbanner3gs6.png

Hmmm?

@Zeek: I do have to agree with both you and the article FF is a slow starter, but other than that I've had nothing performance-wise go wrong because of FF which is why I'm happy to use, carry on using and recommend it and I've still heard it is much safer than IE6/7. Despite what that article says I've heard IE to be a targeted browser just for that fact it's a Microsoft product (hate campaigners and such) and is easier to exploit because of security holes - this to me screams 'stay away!'

And with a few additional addons I feel even more secure.

That doesn't matter, if you are in a category "worse than IE" then that is just plain bad. Also html is on every page, that means every website I visit, the performance is horrible.

If you check out the Javascropt performance and the application launch tabs on that thing, Opera owns all the others (except safari).
mocsig.png

I've tried it and the bookmarks are awful, the viewing of, the sorting of, the browsing through it's all awful, God knows how Mac users get on with it. I'm most definitely sticking with FF as it just has more functionality overall.

Maybe when it's a final release it might be better but it's something I'll decide at the time.

That doesn't matter, if you are in a category "worse than IE" then that is just plain bad. Also html is on every page, that means every website I visit, the performance is horrible.
If you check out the Javascropt performance and the application launch tabs on that thing, Opera owns all the others (except safari).

That is plain wrong. More people use IE than FF, so does that mean IE is better? And Apple, a competitor to Opera, was the one that did the testing!

Performance measured in seconds. Testing conducted by Apple in June 2007 on a 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo-based iMac system running Windows XP Professional SP2, configured with 1GB of RAM and an ATI Radeon X1600 with 128MB of VRAM. HTML and JavaScript benchmarks based on VeriTest’s iBench Version 5.0 using default settings. Testing conducted with a beta version of Safari; all other browsers were shipping versions. Performance will vary based on system configuration, network connection, and other factors.

What's with you being such an FF fanboy (no offence)? Everybody else at least respects Opera users!

tagflowsig.png

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

I am a disco dancer. +_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

lol, I never said anything about opera users, you on the other hand are attacking people who use firefox. If stating my opinion of firefox vs others makes me a "fanboy", then you would fall in the opera fanboy category.

That is plain wrong. More people use IE than FF, so does that mean IE is better? And Apple, a competitor to Opera, was the one that did the testing!

Performance measured in seconds. Testing conducted by Apple in June 2007 on a 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo-based iMac system running Windows XP Professional SP2, configured with 1GB of RAM and an ATI Radeon X1600 with 128MB of VRAM. HTML and JavaScript benchmarks based on VeriTest’s iBench Version 5.0 using default settings. Testing conducted with a beta version of Safari; all other browsers were shipping versions. Performance will vary based on system configuration, network connection, and other factors.

What's with you being such an FF fanboy (no offence)? Everybody else at least respects Opera users!

mocsig.png

We had 2 browsers at school - Safari and FireFox...

At first, I was forced to use Safari, it was one of the most terrible experiences I have ever came across.

Bookmarks were bad.

Took forever to load.

Sometimes it wouldn't drag and drop pictures to download.

Often than not it froze.

After a while I was digging in the HD and found FF installed, which that moment I screamed "Yay".

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

[ dA Paint.NET Chat :: Yata on dA ]

lol, I never said anything about opera users, you on the other hand are attacking people who use firefox. If stating my opinion of firefox vs others makes me a "fanboy", then you would fall in the opera fanboy category.

Yes, but you're saying that it is "plain bad", yet I am careful to make sure that it says "I hate firefox", which says that it is my opinion, yet "plain bad" is not stating an opinion.

tagflowsig.png

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

I am a disco dancer. +_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

riiight cause everything else someone says is fact unless they write "I". I did not know I indicated opinion. Please stop dodging the topic and derailing this thread. I have nothing further to say on that.

btw safari was not very pleasant on windows.

Yes, but you're saying that it is "plain bad", yet I am careful to make sure that it says "I hate firefox", which says that it is my opinion, yet "plain bad" is not stating an opinion.
mocsig.png

I think some people are taking this fight much to seriously. :wink:

Opera is a good, standards-compliant browser. That's a good thing! Firefox as well is a good, standards-compliant browser.

Whichever you want to use, that's fine with me. My sites are all rendered properly in both of them. If you want to use IE, a least use IE7 if you can. I do troubleshoot IE7 bugs, and it usually looks pretty much like it's supposed to in IE7. IE6, I just make sure it doesn't look completely broken, but if it wants to randomly add extra padding here and there, well, that's it's own fault.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype