Auto-scrolling when drawing or selecting pixels

Typh

I know it's probably way to late to late to fix such a minor glitch like this for the final release of version 2.5, but...oh well, I thought I'd post it anyway. Maybe it'll make the next version: :)

In version 2.5 RC1, when you zoom in on an image that is wider than it is high, (so that, even when you zoom in, only the horizontal scroll bar exists,) when you draw a rectangle or try to select pixels from left to right, it does not auto-scroll to the right like it used to.

It works fine when drawing or selecting from right to left, or when moving vertically.

The only time it seems to auto-scroll from left to right correctly, is if the vertical scroll bar exists as well as the horizontal one.

I've actually seen this myself, but it doesn't seem confined to the circumstances you described. I wasn't able to reproduce the error using your description unfortunately.

When it does happen, it seems that the the moment I try again it does work and I'm unable to figure out what caused it in the first place. So if you figure out exactly how to reproduce this, let us know!

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I think I've experienced this before... Here's what I've noticed:

Open up Paint.NET and make a new image 500px wide by 100px high. Then, zoom in to 400%. You'll see that the horizontal scrollbar is there, but since the canvas is so short, there is no vertical scrollbar.

Now, switch to the Rectangle Select tool, click in the center of the canvas, and drag off the image to the right. Because the scrollbar isn't there, you can only drag the cursor, what, ten pixels or less off the right side of the image, so the image scrolls very slowly. This will also happen when dragging off to the left side if the rulers are turned off.

I'm not sure if this is the same behavior Typh was describing, but I thought I'd throw it out there. I know it was bugging me a lot when I was making the banner for The Sketchpad, but I forgot to bring it up.

A side note: (Actually, a bottom note, but...)

I was testing to make sure this example would work at different screen resolutions, and I ran into another bug I think I remember someone reporting a long while ago: when the Paint.NET window is minimized during a resolution change, it will not restore when clicked upon. You'll have to right-click and select "Restore" to get it to pop back up.

I don't remember if you guys ever found a cure for this, but I thought I'd bring it to your attention.

That's all, folks!

Dan

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

And more info comes your way:

When I posted earlier, I was working with the window taking up most of the screen, but not maximized. Today I was working with the window maximized, and I noticed that you can't drag to the right at all when you're zoomed in, because the canvas extends all the way to the right side.

I think that is more in line with what Typh was describing earlier.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Dan, yes, that's exactly what I trying to describe. :)

I've done a little more experimenting with how P.N's auto-scroller will react when you have the window at different sizes and at different zoom levals, and I think I've found a way to reproduce the bug.

1: Make a new 500 x 50 image

2: Maximize the P.N window

3: Zoom in 400x

4: Draw/select with the rectangle selection tool to the right. P.N's auto-scroll moves very slowly.

5: Zoom in 800x or higher

6: Draw/select with the rectangle selection tool to the right once more. P.N's auto-scroll doesn't move at all this time.

If P.N's window is NOT maximized, and if you move your mouse OUTSIDE the right border of the window while drawing or selecting a rectangle, P.N will auto-scroll just fine. The problem only occurs when the window is maximized, and you go to the far-right border of your screen.

I'm not sure if my screen resolution might be adding to the problem or not, but if it helps at all, I'm at 1024x768. ( :lol:;; )

• 1 month later...

Are either you able to reproduce this with 2.6 Beta 1? I was never able to reliably reproduce it in the first place, and I made a bunch of changes related to zooming and scrolling in this release.

Anyway if you can't get it to happen, I will resolve the bug as fixed in our database.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I'd say: Put a big "DONE" stamp on that one!

It used to happen if the image extended off the canvas horizontally but not vertically. When that happened, there was no scrollbar on the right. If the window was maximized, then you couldn't drag the mouse off the canvas to get the window to scroll. If the rulers were turned off, you couldn't get it to scroll to the left either.

But now, it works just fine. Thanks!

~ Becoming the Archetype