Monthly Skinning Competition Discussion -- #4 ended

Heh, my bookmark keyword for the forums here is "pdn" as well. :)

But seriously, we should do getpaint.net... :P

Of course, everyone knows I'm only saying that because I'm a website designer...

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

I would really like to do getpaint.net too...

v An excellent open–source strategy game—highly recommended.

"I wish I had never been born," she said. "What are we born for?"

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

Well, html is a very good thing to learn, but you wouldn't be actually changing the html of the site. The web does not give us that power, yet. It would be coded in css. I would definitely code my design if I were you, but again, it wouldn't be for the competition. ;)

It would be great as a user stylesheet, though! :D

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

well we have (as far as i read this thread) for the next MSC

- a widget clock

- google

- getpaint.net

- winamp

and the other ones that were left out on the MSC #1

I think, instead of keep trying to decide here, can't we make a poll?

So that when July arrives we can start on it

A poll will be started strait after voting is completed: one week from today.

I would definitely code my design if I were you, but again, it wouldn't be for the competition. ;)

Precisely what I'm doing. So far I've created the head/title bar/the place where the name goes in html as an imagemap, it was frustrating but I've got it now and it works. I think this is the first successful piece of code I've ever done.

The head/title bar/the place where the name goes isn't going to be part of my submission I just wanted to see if it'd work. I may do both a screenshot and a html page for the fun of it, only if we're doing a website skin though.

I think that, for the sake of free imagination and creativity, if we do skin getpaint.net, any information that is on the site right now can be added to the front page skin. Instead of just re-arranging the content that's currently on the front page, I think we could make much more interesting and creative designs if we brought in some other content as well.

Whaddaya think? :)

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Agreed, what would be the point of skinning something if you're just going to rearrange and re-colour? We need some pizazz in the designs, original but still practical, bring your own thoughts and ideas into the mix - this is the whole point of the comp.

I've actually thought of that months before joining the pdn forums. I thought "wouldn't it be cool if I can create an entirely new OS from scratch with the power of image editing?" But then I realized that my Paint.NET skills were still developing, so I gave up.

I already have some crazy ideas that will rock your world if I could even think of a way to create a screenshot of it (no, it doesn't evolve toilet paper or mind control).

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

How about a series of screenshots? Logon screen, default desktop, control panel, an example application...then arrange it in a grid or something of the like, for example along the lines of this (arrangement-wise not the whole phone theme thing)?

Actually that's not a bad idea, skinning a phone OS?