How to Install Plugins ×

Grid Maker Plugin

• 3 months later...

Hi folks,

I've been on the trail of a method to convert photo's with a style resembling printed comic books where you can see the color dots that form the overall picture.

I found some info. elsewhere that Majik's Grid Maker Plugin can be helpful for this but the tutorial listed on that same page was inaccessible. In fiddling around with the plugin and layer-mixing techniques (ie. additive, multiply, etc.) I have still not managed to figure out how to replicate the effect.

Here is an image of the style I'd like to reproduce:

ComicBookLook.jpg

Cam someone point me toward a tutorial that demo's the technique to achieve this, please?

Thank you!

Zeorez

Edited by Zero

Sorry for the lack of image in my initial post - i was having troubles properly uploading and linking the image.

I've tried the Grid Maker using dots and made a little progress but was not satisfied. I then changed the transparency of the dots layer to Overlay which seemed like I could be moving in the right direction, but the results are clearly not the same as the comic-book frame in my first post.

Here's snap of the settings I used in Grid Maker:

GridMaker.jpg

This was the result of adding the dots-layer:

leaves2a_sm.jpg

And finally with the dots-layer transparency set to Overlay:

leaves2d_sm.jpg

So it seems like it's closer, but still not quite right. I will look into the Halftone's suggestion, but does anyone have further ideas?

Cam someone point me toward a tutorial that demo's the technique to achieve this, please?

I'm not aware about a tutorial but I guess the effect in your example image is based on dithering and not by adding a grid.

Wikipedia

Dither is an intentionally applied form of noise used to randomize quantization error, preventing large-scale patterns such as color banding in images.

You may have a look to Ed Harveys Dither plugin.

midoras signature.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Greetings,

I have not been able to install this plugin.  I placed the downloaded dll file with the others for paintnet (also in the effects folder), but after relaunching paintnet, I did not see anything different or that had anything to do with making a grid.  What's missing?  Thanks

BH

I have Paintnet 4.0.5 with Windows 8.1

Edited by Ambreville

The effect is compatible with paint.net 4.0.5. Look for it in the Effects > Render menu. It's listed as Gird/Checkerboard Maker

yhsjjie-1658.png

• 1 month later...

HI, I've downloaded this plug-in because I wanted help aligning some images.

I have the windows 10 store version of Paint.net and I cannot get the plug-in to work.

Following the download I've unblocked the file via right-click: 'properties', and moved the dll. file to:

C:\Users\Gebruiker\Documents\paint.net User Files\paint.net App Files\Effects

I've restarted Paint.NET and my PC, but the plug-in is not visible within Paint.net. I've also tried adding the dll. file to:

C:\Users\Gebruiker\Documents\paint.net User Files\paint.net App Files\FileTypes

But this doesn't work either.

I've used the 'classic' version of Paint.NET for several years with zero issues, I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and thought I would use the store version because I liked the idea of automatic updates and thought it was about time I gave something back.

Currently I'm looking at a deinstall of the app version and going to back to classic if I can't get these plug-ins to work.

I've got the identical issues with the Red ochre v10_1 plugin pack also.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Edited by Mahatma Coat

I'm still using the 'classic' version of paint.net.

The instruction for installation in 'store' version folder was given by @Ego Eram Reputo but I can't test nor check why it doesn't work for you.

This is not a file type plugin.

If you have other plugins installed and working, try to find where they are installed to add this dll.

Hi Madjik,

Many thanks for your reply. I have no other plug-ins as yet. I only installed the Paint.NET app a couple of days ago.

I've followed the instructions for adding Plug-ins for the Windows 10 Paint.net app, but they do not appear to be working for me unfortunately.

You can find these instructions here: https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/InstallPlugins.html

I'm not really sure what I can do. I'll probably just download the 'classic' version, uninstall the app and consider the payment an overdue donation to Paint.net team.

7 hours ago, Mahatma Coat said:

C:\Users\Gebruiker\Documents\paint.net User Files\paint.net App Files\Effects

Your path is wrong; it should be:

C:\Users\Gebruiker\Documents\paint.net App Files\Effects

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Read careful!

In the Windows Store version of paint.net, the directories for plugins and Shapes are different. These will have to be created manually.

First create a folder in /My Documents/ (this may be translated to your system language) called /paint.net App Files/.
Then create three subfolders inside the new folder. These should be called:

• /Effects/
  • /FileTypes/
  • /Shapes/

https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/InstallPlugins.html

• 6 months later...
On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2007 at 7:56 AM, MadJik said:

Microsoft Store version of Paint.net

Unzip and (re)place the DLL in your Effect folder usually: /My Documents/paint.net App Files/Effects/

You have to adapt for your language My Documents

Is there any other way?

my win10 does have a documents folder but there isn't a folder there nor anywhere else.

Create the folders yourself. What you need to know: https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/InstallPlugins.html#4

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

@VXVX you want to download the Plugin?  Go to the first page and click on the area that says "Dll".

Then:

How to install

Close Paint.net

Classic version of Paint.net

Unzip and (re)place the DLL in your Effect folder usually: C:/Program Files/Paint.NET/Effects

Microsoft Store version of Paint.net

Unzip and (re)place the DLL in your Effect folder usually: /My Documents/paint.net App Files/Effects/

You have to adapt for your language My Documents

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

There is an underlined link in the first post of this thread. Click that.