How to Install Plugins ×

Borders N' Shapes

• 4 weeks later...

Updated September 16:

-Fixed: issue with Ctrl-F / Effects > Repeat copying the image you used it on previously

-Fixed: horrible memory usage.

-Fixed: better adherence to "acceptable" and "proper" plugin coding guidelines.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Whoops...sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :oops:

Picture size: 1280x1024

6 or so layers

arc with random settings (dot dot dash dash, arrow endpoints)

error occurred when I set the anti-aliasing higher (above 8x?)

Application version: Paint.NET v3.10 (Final Release build 3.10.2791.35943)
Time of crash: 9/20/2007 1:03:16 AM
Application uptime: 04:24:13.9375000
OS Version: 5.1.2600.131072 Service Pack 2 Workstation x86
.NET Framework version: 2.0.50727.832 x86
Processor: 2x "Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz" @ ~3200MHz (SSE, SSE2)
Physical memory: 1022 MB
Tablet PC: no
Locale: pdnr.c: en-US, hklm: en-US, hkcu: en-US, cc: en-US, cuic: en-US

Exception details:
PaintDotNet.WorkerThreadException: Worker thread threw an exception ---> System.OutOfMemoryException: CreateDIBSection returned NULL (8) while attempting to allocate 10240x8192 bitmap
  at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Memory.AllocateBitmap(Int32 width, Int32 height, IntPtr& handle)
  at PaintDotNet.MemoryBlock.Allocate(Int32 width, Int32 height, IntPtr& handle, Boolean allowRetry)
  at PaintDotNet.MemoryBlock.Allocate(Int32 width, Int32 height, IntPtr& handle, Boolean allowRetry)
  at PaintDotNet.MemoryBlock..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height)
  at PaintDotNet.Surface..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height)
  at pyrochild.effects.bordersnshapes.BordersNShapes.Render(EffectConfigToken parameters, RenderArgs dstArgs, RenderArgs srcArgs, Rectangle[] rois, Int32 startIndex, Int32 length)
  at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.ThreadFunction()
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.Join()
  at PaintDotNet.Effects.BackgroundEffectRenderer.Start()
  at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.EffectConfigTokenChangedHandler(Object sender, EventArgs e)
  at PaintDotNet.Effects.EffectConfigDialog.OnEffectTokenChanged()
  at PaintDotNet.Effects.EffectConfigDialog.FinishTokenUpdate()
  at pyrochild.effects.bordersnshapes.ShapeThingDialog.cbQuality_SelectedIndexChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.OnSelectedIndexChanged(EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.WmReflectCommand(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

It seems OK and Cancel are reversed...is it just me?

Fixed.

I knew it! I used this effect yesterday. I took my time and got all the setting exactly how I wanted them, then my instict was to click OK. I did, and I guess I hit cancel. I had to go back and set everything to what I wanted again. I didnt know they were switched, I thought I just clicked the wrong button. Its always nice to have something to blame stuff on though. :D

Well anyways, good to see that it is fixed.

I'm still alive!

Yeah, sorry about that. I get the order mixed up a lot... in fact, if you go back in this thread and the thread for my Film effect, you'll see that they both had this issue before. And I fixed it. And broke it again. And fixed it again :D

xZYt6wl.png

Dunno if you figured it out by yourself, but

Picture size: 1280x1024

6 or so layers

arc with random settings (dot dot dash dash, arrow endpoints)

error occurred when I set the anti-aliasing higher (above 8x?)

System.OutOfMemoryException:

Well, go 64-bit and double your RAM.

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

I like the plugin, but I'm getting some very odd behavior.

I add a new layer to my image and select a rectangle that I want to add a border around. I start the plugin, but no border appears on the preview. I click OK anyways.

The border shows up on the tiny version of the layer in the layers window, but not on the actual image. Then I make the layer invisible, then visible again and the border shows up on the image. The border is around the entire image though, not around my selection.

Then, I undo the Borders and Shapes. Though it's undone in my history, the border is still there!

I tried other render pluging that work on a selection (gradient bars, light rays) and they worked fine. I also tried re-starting PDN, but it didn't help.

time-smaller.png

pyro is it possible to add some shapes under the patterns say stars and hearts? same with end caps?

could use that if possible. if its a coding nightmare just let me know I know next to nothing about how this is done, so please forgive me if I'm asking for the moon.

thanks

Definitely a coding nightmare. You're probably better off using some other method or doing it by hand... Sorry.
I like the plugin, but I'm getting some very odd behavior.

[...]

Fixed.

xZYt6wl.png

You can get a star or heart pretty simply by using print-screen on Microsoft Word and pasting it in. It's anti-aliased and everything, I think; and if you don't want it to be, just shift+magic wand the surrounding area, invert, and draw a filled rectangle across it. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 1 year later...

This thread seems quite old though Borders N' Shapes is actually no more v1.6 but 1.7 but I couldn't find another thread about it.

Just one thing: love that plugin and use it to -guess what- but borders around images, but in a repeating certain color and width. Sadly, the settings won't stick between sessions; it always starts with a 2px black border.

Is there a way to make my personal settings persistent (either by me or by you :wink: )?

Settings will persist throughout a Paint.NET session, but will be forgotten once Paint.NET is closed. The same applies for all plugins. If you need persistence, you can create a ScriptLab script that runs Borders N' Shapes with the desired settings, and use that script to add your borders.

xZYt6wl.png