Stories to tell about our first experiences with Paint.NET

I originally downloaded Paint.NET because I just hit 100 posts in another forum and I wanted to create my own avatar. I was going to download GIMP, but because the UI is so bad on their website alone, I couldn't get to it [:P]. I went to a supposed download page that took me to some other place that led me to SorceForge where I had no idea on what to click (it had already taken me 10 minutes to get to SF in the first place!), so I just gave that up. Then I went to Download.com in search of something similar, and half a year later, I'm posting like crazy on their forum :P [/autobiography]

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

I was previously a Yahoo Widget developer and needed a good graphics program,(transporting images from photoshop at school to home got tiresome after a while...) after going on about an hour on the GIMP website, I said heck with it and returned to the Widget forum. I asked a sort-of mentor of mine, what he uses, and he directed me to this. I've been stuck ever since :D

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

[ dA Paint.NET Chat :: Yata on dA ]

I was into skinning 3D models, specifically spaceships. After googling a few times, I stumbled upon a program called paint.NET back in august of 2006. Heh... no longer skinning 3D models as much. :)

ESSig7UltraPng.png

My first experience in PDN:

It started with an email from my boss...
Hey gang,

Plan on joining us tomorrow for lunch as we say farewell to our able and hard-working intern, Richard. We will be leaving for a soon-to-be disclosed lunch location for some good food and conversation. I've asked Rich to give me some parting words to communicate to the rest of you. I quote:

"Thank you for allowing such a great brain as mine to grace your presence here at AECI. I'm sure the reason some of you didn't talk to me this summer was because you were intimidated by my enormous intelligence. Do not fret over these things! I forgive all and I want you to know that when I am running this company someday, I will not hold your past sins against you. Live long and prosper." Richard S

I'm sure you all have a questions on your minds: "what is next for our superstar?" Well, Rich is also a college student in his free time and will be heading back to school to start off his Junior year. Along those lines, he wanted me to let you know he will be accepting gifts, cash donations and sympathetic looks for the next semester.

Be sure to say goodbye to our super-wiz kid and don't forget to bring your lunch money tomorrow.

Chris

Then Houston (another programmer) sent out this...he said he found it somewhere...but I have my doubts...

w48258466.jpg

To which I responded..."No, it's more like this"

m48258470.jpg

So that was the first image I created in PDN. I didn't know anything about layers, and didn't touch it again until last February...and the rest is history. 8)

Here's why I registered to the forum:

Pdn crashed while I was giving it the command to flip the image. I just restarted pdn without a worry. Less than a week later, it crashed again for the same reason. So out of rage, I registered to the forum, and posted it in Bugs and Troubleshooting (I almost posted it in GD :D). Like 5 minutes later, Trickman replied. Then Rick replied telling me to post crashlog.txt. I had no idea where to find it. I searched the pdn directory, WINDOWS/system32, My Documents, but I didn't find it. I was too embarrassed to ask, so I didn't. Three days later, I was banned from my previous forum (see this story) and started posting here.

BTW, I mentioned the detail that Trickman replied first because I miss Trickman :(

EDIT: This is my 2000th post!

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

I started getting into gfx and all i had was windows paint, here;s some of the things i made:

First sig:

Jake2kSig.jpg

Xbox window template:

xbox.jpg

Halo weapons:

HaloGuns.jpg

Then someone told me about the Gimp so I tried it out and hated it, then another person told me about Paint.net and here I am :D Since then I've had PS7 and now PS CS2 but have never used them for more than a couple of minutes, haha.

Puteulanus___Jake2k_by_Club_PaintDotNET.png

^Click to visit my Flickr Gallery^

I found Paint.NET 'cause I was looking for a legal alternative to my cracked copy of Photoshop. Naughty, I know.

And of course the words "C#" and "Open source" really caught my eye on the wiki page for this. :D

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

*sits in rocking chair*

Well, I've been into freeware for years. As I was going through college, all the peoples were offering me free copies of Microsoft Office, PhotoShop, 3DS Max, et cetera, to which I'd reply "I have Open Office / The GIMP / K3D..." (Honestly, it was hard to turn down 3DS Max, as K3D isn't even close as far as functionality, but rules are rules...)

My friends knew I used lots of different freewares because, well, they're free, so it doesn't hurt to have all of them (unless your disk is tiny). A friend of mine one day told me of a program he'd heard of called Paint.NET, and I went home and downloaded it.

A synopsis of my first post on the forum is as follows: "Like the interface, but was expecting more power." See, I was under the impression that all graphics programs wanted to be the uber-powerful PhotoShop replacement. (I had neglected to read up on PDN first. :roll:) Rick quickly straightened me out, pointing out the focus of PDN development being usability and such, and I recanted my criticism and started contributing to the forums. My previous graphic design experience allowed me to trick everyone into thinking I knew what I was doing! :lol:

And now here we are, +1.07 versions later. Welcome!

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

I first somehow stumbled upon GIMP but after about 10 minutes of using it without making a change to any pixel on the canvas, I gave up. A while later I found this thing called Paint.NET and I've been using it ever since.

sigeb7.png

The reason why I chose to post on the forums is because I used to also play RS in my spare time. After a while, you discover all it's made of is disrespectful people. So, after I quit and banished RS from my daily agenda, I was playing in PdN, about my 2'nd day of doing so, I saw a forum link. After looking through a few threads I saw that this was a polite community that actually didn't believe flamming each other was a sport. So I registered, and now about a month later, here I am, and glad to be part of the forum.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

[ dA Paint.NET Chat :: Yata on dA ]

a PM discussion I had with a forumer

I'm not C# programer! (yet).

How do I do plugins then?

I know other programing languages and procedural languages (RPG, VB6, VBA,..). I was firstly teached to work with S/36, S/38 then AS/400 (IBM mini systems). Since a while I'm trying to learn about PC world(s)!

Last year (2006) I went to MS tech-days for Visual studio and I was told about VS 2005 express (free version of VS 2005). I first get familiar with Visual basic 2005 (by myself). Then I tested Visual Web...

AND.... I was digging in the MS forums for VS when I found a link to PDN !!!!!!!! Free MS-Paint Alternative (or something similar) it was said.

Download and test and press F1 and tutorial and PDN FORUM!!!

On this forum I found a lot of question/answers/discussions/argues/etc...

But I was attracted by the codes I've found on some topics.... Then I tried them with the codelab. It's easy to read for me but I'm still not a fluant writer... So I need a model to be able to code by myself.

The rest is more about logical problems or mathematical functions...

I'm seriously thinking about purchase a book on C# now I could create something...

end of PM

First sig:

Jake2kSig.jpg

Wait. I can do that! So I can create the so awesome sigs you make too?

And now here we are, +1.07 versions later. Welcome!

Well, I think (yeah I've a really bad memory) I'm here since v2.0, so there was v2.1, v2.5, v2.6 (.NET 2.0 yay!) and v3 so I should say +4.5 versions later. My 2 cents as always.

How I discovered PdN?

Well I was getting bored so wanted to learn C#, and I was quite aware of the open source goodness, so I googled "opensource c#" or something and found this tiny app.

Next I wrote 1235 posts full of "Wow", "Whoah", "Good!" and "Your website is designed like ****" and voilà 8) .

Yeah I gave up on C# since then.

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

I go through these phases where I latch onto a certain thing and do it for a few weeks or so, so it'd be converting my XP into a Mac look-alike, playing with Widgets or paint packages.

After browsing Wikipedia for the free stuff I too tried the gimp and was totally confused by all the windows and stuff and (at the time) the RAM drag it created for my laptop. So I searched some more and came across PDN which was on about 2.7 at the time. I tried, I liked, I disliked, I uninstalled, I tried once more with v2.72 and I kept; been with it ever since. It was the first program I really got to grips with all that layers lark people were talking about, plus all the effects and stuff and curves - curves was a big one for me but layers were more useful at the time.

Paint.NET life story.