Plugins Auto-Updates

Ok what is the chance of having an auto-update plugin check like firefox does for plugins? Many ways to handle and manage this and I don't care which is used as long as I get new update available message when loading paint.net like the paint.net auto-updater does for itself.

Well their .dll files from all around the web, being hosted that is, not to mention this is a forum, not a database. If someone took it upon themselves to make a server or something to do so, it would be possible, but not through a forum, at least I would think.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

[ dA Paint.NET Chat :: Yata on dA ]

It wouldn't be related to the forum at all, a database of plugins and version #s, and link or links to download the latest. Paint.net needs to communicate with the database and notify only, providing a list of links where it can be downloaded.

Well their .dll files from all around the web, being hosted that is, not to mention this is a forum, not a database. If someone took it upon themselves to make a server or something to do so, it would be possible, but not through a forum, at least I would think.

I can't imagine it. Plugins are not updated that often, the auto-update would run like it does currently, check the list installed vs those in database and version #s, and just provide links for updated dlls.

Imagine the network storm if each plugin did its own autoupdate...

Not everyone lives on the forum, its an idea for a future down the road thing, it isn't something that is a priority for now so I can understand it getting pushed back behind other things. At least Rick is going to do the export (save copy as) option soon! Now if paths would be here soon too!

But the point is, why make it if we just have to click the plugin forum when it shows a new unread post? As you said, they arnt updated often, so what's the big deal?