Clear History feature request

I've been having a few 'out of memory' problems with Paint.NET (despite my 2 GB RAM). Mostly it happens when trying to add layers to the drawing, and seems more likely to occur the more I have in my history. Unless I'm missing something there isn't really a "Clear History" command/button/whatnot.

As such, this is a feature request for a 'clear history' button or menu item or what-have-you. I managed to add my own using the PDN sourcecode. Not pretty or perfect, but probably works... probably... Though I'd prefer to have something official.

(If you're wondering, the problem is arising mostly because I'm working on a picture 4256 px by 7120 px with 7 layers >_< )

Normally I might, but considering that the save/close/load process can take 30 s to a minute, I generally find it too inconvenient to do every time I want to add a layer (something that I may do several times in a series of add/merge/add/merge/add/merge). Adding 30 s between them is disruptive to drawing.

This is a feature request for a 'clear history' button or menu item or what-have-you. I managed to add my own using the PDN sourcecode. Not pretty or perfect, but probably works... probably... Though I'd prefer to have something official.

If you've managed to add this yourself through the source coude perhaps you could wrap it up in a .dll and make a plugin out of it.

I think (and I may be wrong) that, at present, you can only add plugins to the Adjustments or Effects menu's - and this would probably sit better in the Edit menu.

Just a thought, though I'm not a programmer and have no idea if it's even possible to create such a plugin.

PKRM.png

PKRG.pngPKRT.pngPKRD.pngPKRP.png

This is a feature request for a 'clear history' button or menu item or what-have-you. I managed to add my own using the PDN sourcecode. Not pretty or perfect, but probably works... probably... Though I'd prefer to have something official.

If you've managed to add this yourself through the source coude perhaps you could wrap it up in a .dll and make a plugin out of it.

I think (and I may be wrong) that, at present, you can only add plugins to the Adjustments or Effects menu's - and this would probably sit better in the Edit menu.

Just a thought, though I'm not a programmer and have no idea if it's even possible to create such a plugin.

I'm 95% sure it's not, but perhaps we shall wait for the final word from BoltBait and/or Rick.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Having a Clear History button in 3.xx won't help you any. That's why I removed it in 3.05.

In 2.xx it did make a difference, but only because there was a gross inefficiency in the History window itself, whereby each row in the history window would consume 3-4 user/GDI handles. In 3.xx this is fixed.

Trust me, you don't need the button. It's snake oil.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

So, to compute the memory requirements for an image, the following formula can be used:

(W x H x 4) x (L + 2)

4256 px by 7120 px with 7 layers

So (4256 * 7120 * 4) * (7 + 2) = 1,090,897,920 bits.

Roughly 1 GB of RAM, just for Paint.NET.

Edit: It's a Giga bit, not byte.

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

So, to compute the memory requirements for an image, the following formula can be used:

(W x H x 4) x (L + 2)

4256 px by 7120 px with 7 layers

So (4256 * 7120 * 4) * (7 + 2) = 1,090,897,920 bits.

Roughly 1 GB of RAM, just for Paint.NET.

Edit: It's a Giga bit, not byte.

Actually, Bob, that original formula is referring to Bytes, not bits.

(4,256 * 7,120 * 4) * (7 + 2) = 1,090,897,920 Bytes

Actually, clearing history helped my ram, even in the 3.xx's. I have FreeRam Xp, it monitors your ram and updates a toolbar icon live. Clearing the history sometimes freed up to 10 mbs and over on large pictures.

Description of "FreeRam Xp" from their website:

A popular program to optimize and defragment RAM for Windows XP.

Sorry to tell you, CommanderSozo, but "memory defragmenters" are snake oil. Don't waste your money on them. Any performance improvement you got was purely psychological, and not real.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg