Yet another Paint.NET ripoff attempt (posted on Rick's blog)

I'm posting this blog entry in the forum because hardly anybody reads the blog :D

I've received a handfull of e-mails from people who wanted to point this out to me, or that had actually purchased from this eBay user and were a little incensed to find out they had paid for a download link to Paint.NET. You can see the list of this user's auctions here: http://stores.ebay.com/serendipity-retail . Paint.NET is not listed by name, but rather as "FULL PROFESSIONAL GRAPHICS PROGRAM PHOTOSHOP COMPATIBLE". (BTW, Paint.NET is not "Photoshop compatible", whatever they mean by that.) They are also selling copies of OpenOffice.org, some 3D modelling program (Blender, maybe?), and a HTML editor that I can't identify.

Full entry

I looked up one of the victims and sent him the folowing email:

On May 6, you purchased this rip-off program titled "FULL PROFESSIONAL GRAPHICS PROGRAM PHOTOSHOP COMPATIBLE". Unfortunately, that was a copy of a free program called Paint.NET, developed by Rick Brewster. Not only that, but you purchased version 2.7 of it (that was made about a year ago).

I found out about this on Rick Brewster's MSDN blog posted on the 27th of last month (see the post).

I recommend you uninstall this program, contact serendipity_retail, and install the newest version of Paint.NET (3.07) asap. I've posted this on the Paint.NET forum so everybody will become aware of this user.

By the way, sorry if this looked like spam at first.

usedHONDA, expert Paint.NET user

BTW, that was sent to "andyb.pilot"

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

I've had enough of people being low enough to do things like this, I hope Rick and Tom slap them with the highest extent of the law and their IP is put on the nation wide black list.

Just so happened I read this when I was already annoyed at a similar situation

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

[ dA Paint.NET Chat :: Yata on dA ]

I seem to recall Rick saying somewhere that 4.0 is being written from scratch, in which case, shouldn't it be possible to release that version under a different license? One that actually prohibits this sort of thing?

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

well I e-bay often. and you always research what your buying, details should say what it is exactly, plus the sellers rating!. the person selling stuff like that on e-bay was just being slick....technically good selling if peoples are silly enough to buy a link and not know it...,, uhhh major bummer! hope they didn't pay much! It always sucks to get ripped off!

"What will we do if we don't try and help eachother?"

blackvortexavatar2ee5.jpg

ahh very true i just checked it, and the programs being sold for almost 5 bucks were paint.net ( older version), Blender, and NVU..all of which can be downloaded for free. uhh what a sneek. well feel bad for those that don't know and warn your friends that shop e-bay for stufff like that......I myself always back check everything....

"What will we do if we don't try and help eachother?"

blackvortexavatar2ee5.jpg

Unless he's full of it, it looks like this is legal.

This software is open source, distribution fees are for a localised, user friendly download, installation and support. No copyrights have been violated with this auction. We are authorised to distribute this product under a GPL and LGPL licence. This auction complies with all eBay rules. This listing has been approved by eTrust staff and we have a copy of the email available on request, eBay staff please read the notes on our account before taking action. Thank you for taking time to read this note.

Unless he's full of it, it looks like this is legal.
This software is open source, distribution fees are for a localised, user friendly download, installation and support. No copyrights have been violated with this auction. We are authorised to distribute this product under a GPL and LGPL licence. This auction complies with all eBay rules. This listing has been approved by eTrust staff and we have a copy of the email available on request, eBay staff please read the notes on our account before taking action. Thank you for taking time to read this note.

Well that was some fine print.

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb