Sign in to follow this  
usedHONDA

The <off topic> thread

No, it's applying the kerning pairs that the font designer embedded into the font.

You're thinking of adjustable, but constant, intercharacter spacing, which many other software incorrectly calls "kerning".

The kerning pairs table in a font basically say, "when you see characters A and B, tweak the spacing by X pixels" (where A and B are ... well they could be A and B, but also any other pair of characters).

An excerpt from Windows Graphics Programming - Win32 GDI and DirectDraw:

Oh, ok, I see. That's what I thought it was at first. :(

With the new typography system, is there any chance of this adjustable horizontal spacing being put in place?

My laptop: http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668269.php

Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit

RAM-4GB DDR2

320GB SATA Hard drive

AMD Athlon 64 Dual-Core Processor 2.1GHz

15.6" HD LED LCD Screen (1366 x 768)

ATI Radeon HD 3200

For $500

I basically got it for college. Do you think it's a pretty decent purchase? :D

I think it is a decent purchase. That is the same one my brother is looking at. (Although he thinks he needs one for some reason even though he is only turning 11) :shock:

My laptop: http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668269.php

Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit

RAM-4GB DDR2

320GB SATA Hard drive

AMD Athlon 64 Dual-Core Processor 2.1GHz

15.6" HD LED LCD Screen (1366 x 768)

ATI Radeon HD 3200

For $500

I basically got it for college. Do you think it's a pretty decent purchase? :D

I think it is a decent purchase. That is the same one my brother is looking at. (Although he thinks he needs one for some reason even though he is only turning 11) :shock:

It think it's a pretty good laptop for the price. The only complaint I have for it is that the battery doesn't last that long and the touchpad really sucks. I just use a USB mouse.

W00t, just got an Alpha invite to Joliclout! I've been on their list for months now :)

Basically, Jolicloud is a Linux-based OS designed for netbooks that is made to be very fast, seamless, and user friendly using the relatively new concept (or at least newly applied) of Cloud Computing; a system in which most of your information is in servers accessed via internet.

In all honesty, I don't have a netbook, so this is going on my desktop (wish me luck with that >_>)

[bTW, I think they already made it a public Alpha]

_____

EDIT: Oh, and yesterday, I went into Walgreen's to buy some milk, and do you know who I saw? Casey Anthony's parents. And once I left, their car was following me most of the way back (they live about a mile or two away). Don't mind this if you don't know about the Casey Anthony murder case.

Oh, ok, I see. That's what I thought it was at first. :(

With the new typography system, is there any chance of this adjustable horizontal spacing being put in place?

Not in v3.5, no. It would be easy for me to add the equivalent of SetTextCharacterExtra to the typography system, but I am not adding that feature to the UI so it would be worthless right now.

The advantages of the new typography system right now are stability (no more GDI+), control (I am not "helpless" with respect to certain error-handling/crash stuff), and generality. The latter meaning I can plug in a new typography driver with relative ease, e.g. GDI rendering vs. DirectWrite vs. FreeType vs. WPF. In fact, I do have an implementation of a WPF driver and it renders beautiful text. However, it is not reliable. It failed the test of, "download and install 2500 fonts from dafont.com and don't crash while rendering them all". If it just threw exceptions at me when things failed that would be fine, but it literally just crashes in ways that I do not have the ability to programmatically deal with.

From the UI side, 3.5 is actually reducing the number of features in the Text tool's toolbar. I am removing the Sharp/Smooth combobox which was used to select between GDI+ and GDI rendering.

umm I did use sharp smooth in some applications but I'm sure even though I don't understand the changes you are making it will be for the better of the program. look forward to having a new beta roll out.

ciao OMA

I just got a postcard from a friend and it ended like this:

"Challenge: take a picture of yourself with this postcard stuck on your forehead. Make it your profile picture on Facebook. ;)"

:|

I just got a postcard from a friend and it ended like this:

"Challenge: take a picture of yourself with this postcard stuck on your forehead. Make it your profile picture on Facebook. ;)"

:|

It never says how long, you could post it quick and then change it again ;)

Lol! at Simon.

I'm keeping it. It's better than my old picture. My friend had fallen asleep on my shoulder, on the train, and for sake of the picture I acted like I was sleeping with my head resting on his (7 hours on a train will do that...). It said "Made for each other" under.

I was reading the rules and came across this. I thought it was rather funny so incase you missed it:

Person A: How do I do ______ ?

Person B: Oh just click on _____ and then do _____

Person A: I can't find it :'( :'(

Person B: Well make you sure you look over ______ and click on _____ first

Person A: I still can't find it!!! :'(

Person B: (suddenly gains psychic insight) Oh, make sure you have the latest version installed.

Person A: (suddenly gains the power of the latest version) Yes! IT works now!

wow and to think this actually happens.

Oh yes. And my favorite part is the emphasized "IT" works now - when, of course, the program is not the one that has magically become functional, but the person. :-P

Unfortunately, I can't claim any credit for that part of the rules. It sounds like Rick's "voice," but it could be BB, I suppose...

EWW OMAR LOL.

n1683041932_9466.jpg

Even though your last picture was rather... :oops: ... it was better rofl.

Hey, I had to. And my last picture wasn't :oops:, it was on PURPOSE.

Oh yes. And my favorite part is the emphasized "IT" works now - when, of course, the program is not the one that has magically become functional, but the person. :-P

Unfortunately, I can't claim any credit for that part of the rules. It sounds like Rick's "voice," but it could be BB, I suppose...

It's all Rick.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6883229061

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6883229102

I'm going to try and get my parents to buy either of these computers, along with this monitor, and I'd thought I'd check with you guys to make sure that the stuff it's made out of is good quality stuff.

I've also been looking at the Windows 7 upgrade stuff, and I have no idea how it's going to work, can anyone explain?

EDIT: Never mind, no real point in asking people if the stuff is good if they don't ship to the UK :(

they both looks good, but if you choose to go with c2q, upgrade paths will be limited cuz they dont make socket 775 processors anymore. i7 would offer a better upgrade path, but video looks a bit crappy.if you looking to overclock, id recommend you to get a cpu fan. but otherwise, that build is pretty good.

imo this moniter is bigger, higher res, and cheaper : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824009179

i think its on special.

just my 2cents :P

edit: just read that they dont ship to uk, oh well :(

you should think about buying parts from a cheap retailed/factory - saves money and you choose what you want.