Don't forget blooper some of the items were made with previous versions of the program, and not as many plugins were avail. Those are infact more impressive in my opinion. There were many new concepts and inovative ideas sparked by many of the earlier works. They required major workarounds that sparked ideas for the plugin fellows to hone to the end users requirements. Giving you all the many new plugins. Many of the "better works" coming out now were based on those very forward thinking artistic developments.

I thought of that, but at the time some of these pieces were released, they didn't impress me much.

And BB (bahaha, baby), there's got to be a cutoff between the great and the less great.

Don't forget blooper some of the items were made with previous versions of the program, and not as many plugins were avail. Those are infact more impressive in my opinion. There were many new concepts and inovative ideas sparked by many of the earlier works. They required major workarounds that sparked ideas for the plugin fellows to hone to the end users requirements. Giving you all the many new plugins. Many of the "better works" coming out now were based on those very forward thinking artistic developments.

I thought of that, but at the time some of these pieces were released, they didn't impress me much.

And BB (bahaha, baby), there's got to be a cutoff between the great and the less great.

Sup, cutie.

If you want me to raise the bar, make better stuff!

(or, at least, nominate better stuff)

Well, always trying...

(Now, that's the idea)

I believe raising the bar will push people to try to do even better.

As I've said in many post: Aim higher.

And I don't know if anyone notice.

Those not trying their best and trying to push beyond their limits, I teach less.

Those who do, I teach more.

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

agree some of them were not impressive. and still are not. but someone must have found them to have wow factor enough to hit the little red exclamation mark and type in a nomination.

perhaps at the time of each version change or year end awards we could archive them. They really shouldn't be lost. as better and better art work is done and everyone progresses more artwise each years archive or version archive would show this?

I thought of another thing that should or could be noted in the galleria. Is the merit the image was judged on and exactly why it was included ..

I agree that the bar needs to be raised for work going into the Galleria.

To make everyone happy (well most) a poll could be made for each "reported" artwork by a mod in a sub-forum of the Pictorium called "Galleria Nominations" or something. In the poll users could vote for a week whether or not the piece should go in the Galleria or not - voting should be based on the quality of work, not on how much a person likes or dislikes it. This way, everyone gets their say.. sort of.

Merry Christmas

.::.My Gallery.::.Make Gold Text!.::.

I thought of another thing that should or could be noted in the galleria. Is the merit the image was judged on and exactly why it was included ..

Generally, I just choose randomly... so that wouldn't really add much to the posting. ;)

I agree that the bar needs to be raised for work going into the Galleria.

To make everyone happy (well most) a poll could be made for each "reported" artwork by a mod in a sub-forum of the Pictorium called "Galleria Nominations" or something. In the poll users could vote for a week whether or not the piece should go in the Galleria or not - voting should be based on the quality of work, not on how much a person likes or dislikes it. This way, everyone gets their say.. sort of.

Sounds complicated. I'd rather just have one person (not me) who picks stuff to promote to the galleria. I just don't have time to pick through all the posts to find the best pieces. (You see, if someone doesn't nominate it, I'll probably just miss it.)

What we need is a real critic. I'm too easy going. I just promote whatever gets nominated (pretty much).

Click to play:
j.pngs.pngd.pnga.pngp.png
Download: BoltBait's Plugin Pack | CodeLab | and how about a Computer Dominos Game

I like the poll idea but don't want anyone to feel bad because a work was nominated and didn't make the cut. I agree the bar has to be raised. You all just have to know I love all your artwork, the beginners to the pros and find every picture special in its own way, and I've a real hard time not hitting that red exclamation button at least once a forum visit :wink:

I'll take the blame :lol::lol::lol: I've big broad shoulders. :lol::lol:

So in honor of turning over a new leaft ....I put my right hand up left hand on chest

" I solomley promise not to nominate every picture I see to the galleria any more :wink: ."

ciao

OMA

don't want anyone to feel bad because a work was nominated and didn't make the cut.

Its not a nice feeling, but if someones work doesn't get nominated, then that should be motivation to try newer and better things in PDN to improve and create something that is worthy. :)

Sounds complicated. I'd rather just have one person (not me) who picks stuff to promote to the galleria. I just don't have time to pick through all the posts to find the best pieces. (You see, if someone doesn't nominate it, I'll probably just miss it.)

What we need is a real critic. I'm too easy going. I just promote whatever gets nominated (pretty much).

Maybe there should be a new forum team e.g. Galleria Promoters or something. They could decide which art goes in and which art doesn't in their own sub-forum, like a mod lounge. They would need to be notified of Galleria Nominations, and the job of managing the Galleria would be given to them.

It might be complicated but it might work well after people get used to it..

Merry Christmas

.::.My Gallery.::.Make Gold Text!.::.

Or someone just starts a thread when they see an image they like and a mod promotes it if they see a positive enough consensus.

KaHuc.png

Straying dangerously close to intolerance, folks.

Be careful.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I think this is harmless, we're not insulting God, we're just saying that he didn't write dictionaries nor a Bilble, which could be true as there is no reference to God writing a dictionary or Bible in the Bible. I think the text most related to God are the ten commandents, which he dictated to Mozes and ofcourse the whole Bible is inspired by God, so in a sense God did write the Bible.

But the Bible doesn't say that all sins are equal, look at the penalty: for stealing you had to pay back the stolen goods and pay a fine, I think it was; for murder you would be stoned (not the drugs stoned), this is also because the stealing was most of the times a way of staying alive, not getting more and better stuff, but getting money to buy food. But the penalty for adultery is the same as the penalty for murder, so that could be considered equal. In which case it's better to murder your neighbour and marry his wife and that way getting his car then not killing him, but still sleeping with his wife and stealing his car.

yhsjjie.png

History repeats itself, because nobody was paying attention the first time.

agree some of them were not impressive. and still are not. but someone must have found them to have wow factor enough to hit the little red exclamation mark and type in a nomination.

Which is why I think we should have at least a few members giving their opinion about it. Even some CC perhaps :)

at one time this forum had more of a mentoring feel than a crtique feel. not saying critique isn't a good thing, but remarks like more depth, smudge it , fade it. really are unproductive for newbies (and even myself). You never know when that raw newbie will turn out to be a galleria contender. I'd have been nowhere if people like ASH and Madjik just to name two hadn't taken me under their wings.

so really do a self examination people how have you really helped another on the forum lately. has it truly been helpful or have you just displayed superiority over another that's been here less time than yourself. no need to answer just think about it. mentor vs critique.

my thoughts are

less critique + more help to make better pictures, less chatter + more practice to make better pictures.

more time and care in making pictures = the chance at getting better items in the galleria x100.

@oma: I like your idea, but people won't tell you how they feel about you. I hate this, we have an entire thread about rating the sig of the posted above you and when you post an image in on of the image umbrellas you get atleast one comment with 24 hours, but when showing who you are (which you do all day long) you get no feedback, unless you ask for it and even then you will probably only hear the good and not so bad things (which are usually extremely understated in an attempt not to hurt the other person or atleast reduce the amount)

Back on topic, I'm always willing to help a person, when I have the time (which I do lately, no school) and you can probably see an increased amount of questions answered by me, because I didn't have anything else to do. But as I said before I don't know how the other persons feel about me and on fora this is getting worse, because you only have 7% when only using text when communicating compared to the 100% of the average conversation, it's a miracle we actually know what the other persons is trying to tell you.

Back on topic, again, basicly what I'm trying to say is that I don't know where I am in the mentoring-critique spectre, so I don't know how much I should change. (If anyone wishes to give me some feedback about my behaviour on this forum you can go ahead.)

yhsjjie.png

History repeats itself, because nobody was paying attention the first time.

Hidden Content:
@OMA: Mentoring is no longer a necessity in these areas, at least not right now. Many of the advanced Paint.NET users have come to meet the mentoring potential; that is that they can no longer get substantial amount of worth from mentoring. What this has caused is for the users who believe they have pursued to the longest to really sit and create the same style of art, or what works best for them. Users are no longer truly challenging themselves and their mentors because in their mind there is no more room for that.

For instance, I have gotten many of requests to accomplish my most recent 3D lettering techniques. I started writing the tutorial a little less than a week ago and had to stop writing it because the tutorial had to be created in such depth I didn't have the time to write a 2-3 post long tutorial. As well, I couldn't really help the users PM'ing me because they hadn't yet challenged the basic concepts of Jake2K's most recent 3D lettering tutorial. So I was in a bind: I couldn't help them because they couldn't help themselves.

In my mind, this has created squat artwork. I keep creating the same 3D letters without many people challenging me. You consistently create abstract artwork because you know it is what you like, and not many challenge it without saying "Wow, OMA!". People give too many "Wow"s and not enough "You suck, and here is why." I would have loved if the last three pages of my Pictorium thread was all about how mediocre my work was, and how they have seen much better come from Photoshop. Oh, but wait: that is against the Pictorium rules (to a degree), isn't it?

Honestly, the only solution is too keep on adding mediocre work to the Galleria, and every 5 pages have users 'de-nominate' works with provided reasoning until the Galleria thread is back down to two pages. It is strict, but only keeping 2/5 of all submitted work would also keep it extremely valuable. I think BoltBait is doing an excellent job, and as long as there is no individual Pictorium thread to outshine it it really shouldn't be fixed.

Ultimately, however, what we really need is another ASH for the advanced members. I am not saying that Ash's work isn't amazing, because it is, but he used to create the same greatness when I started on these forums almost two years ago. Imagine the comparison of Ash's work to the next level Paint.NET artist of that time: huge difference, Ash's work was better. We need somebody new with that same margin of excellence. For a minute I thought the answer would have been -Expiration-. However, he became Xpired and started working with Photoshop instead of continuing to challenge himself, which ultimately led to him leaving completely.

Anyways, I am just rambling on now. I'll stop before I get ahead of myself ;)

Warning: the above post may cause reverse reactions, resulting in a large unnecessary arguement that ultimately will cause the thread to be locked. Read at your own risk.
signature.png