I LOVE that one.

Sig quoted.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I LOVE that one.

Sig quoted.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

I LOVE that one.

Sig quoted.

I LOVE that one.

Sig quoted.

The last post in the offtopic was two days ago? What is this forum coming too!

Anyways, yesterday morning I woke up and realized my keyboard was set to DVORAK. Some time ago, I learned the keyboard format and began to interchange between DVORAK and QWERTY when I was hitting a WPM of about 90 on each. As such, I felt compelled to challenge myself again and started researching other English alternative keyboard layouts. I eventually stumbled on the layout known as "Colemak". It is a QWERTY / DVORAK hyprid layout that focuses on simplifing key combos like DVORAK while also focusing on comfortability like QWERTY. At first, my WPM was a measily 10-15 and I was really frustrated. Then last night I was working on another blog post for The App Attack, and decided to force myself into Colemak typing. Now I am hitting around 40wpm in Colemak, and can say that it is probably the strongest of the three mentioned.

But two things came off from Colemak that I think anybody should be willing to try. First is replacing the functionality of the Caps Lock key with Backspace and vise versa. Seriously, this sped up my typing only by decreasing the amount of type I had to correct any typos. Also, something that the Colemak wiki suggested was not replacing the keys of my keyboard to Colemak, but instead blanking the keyboard. So this morning, as a self hack, I took a Sharpie and razorblade and removed all key markings on my keyboard. If anything, my Colemak skills are increasing from it. It is forcing me to type in Colemak as I would in QWERTY or DVORAK, and is helping my fingers reach for numbers on the number row instead of resorting my right hand to the number pad. Again, an increase in typing speed.

signature.png

Anyways, yesterday morning I woke up and realized my keyboard was set to DVORAK. Some time ago, I learned the keyboard format and began to interchange between DVORAK and QWERTY when I was hitting a WPM of about 90 on each. As such, I felt compelled to challenge myself again and started researching other English alternative keyboard layouts. I eventually stumbled on the layout known as "Colemak". It is a QWERTY / DVORAK hyprid layout that focuses on simplifing key combos like DVORAK while also focusing on comfortability like QWERTY. At first, my WPM was a measily 10-15 and I was really frustrated. Then last night I was working on another blog post for The App Attack, and decided to force myself into Colemak typing. Now I am hitting around 40wpm in Colemak, and can say that it is probably the strongest of the three mentioned.

But two things came off from Colemak that I think anybody should be willing to try. First is replacing the functionality of the Caps Lock key with Backspace and vise versa. Seriously, this sped up my typing only by decreasing the amount of type I had to correct any typos. Also, something that the Colemak wiki suggested was not replacing the keys of my keyboard to Colemak, but instead blanking the keyboard. So this morning, as a self hack, I took a Sharpie and razorblade and removed all key markings on my keyboard. If anything, my Colemak skills are increasing from it. It is forcing me to type in Colemak as I would in QWERTY or DVORAK, and is helping my fingers reach for numbers on the number row instead of resorting my right hand to the number pad. Again, an increase in typing speed.

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

That sounds like a cool accomplishment. I think it would be fun to learn a new keyboard layout, but once you get used to Colemack or DVORAK, then wouldn't it be hard to switch back to QWERTY if you had to use a public computer such as in a library or school. I know the Colemack says it is more ergonomic, but even so... it would be a hard transition. Talking about switching the Caps Lock, would there be a way to change just that key from Caps to a backspace, because that sounds very useful, and easier for my finger to reach. ;)

deviantART | Paint.NET Gallery | bennettfrazier.com <-- (My new Website!)

That sounds like a cool accomplishment. I think it would be fun to learn a new keyboard layout, but once you get used to Colemack or DVORAK, then wouldn't it be hard to switch back to QWERTY if you had to use a public computer such as in a library or school. I know the Colemack says it is more ergonomic, but even so... it would be a hard transition. Talking about switching the Caps Lock, would there be a way to change just that key from Caps to a backspace, because that sounds very useful, and easier for my finger to reach. ;)

I would relate knowing another keyboard layout to learning another language. I can type just as well on QWERTY even if I have been frequently using DVORAK or Colemak recently. Your muscle reactions just remain, and it is just a mental switch between the three for me, I guess.

And yeah, you can just switch Caps to Backspace. I used a program called SharpKeys to make the changes.

EDIT: Also, let it be known that there are portable versions of Colemak and DVORAK.

signature.png

I would relate knowing another keyboard layout to learning another language. I can type just as well on QWERTY even if I have been frequently using DVORAK or Colemak recently. Your muscle reactions just remain, and it is just a mental switch between the three for me, I guess.

And yeah, you can just switch Caps to Backspace. I used a program called SharpKeys to make the changes.

EDIT: Also, let it be known that there are portable versions of Colemak and DVORAK.

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

Though I loved the new Transformers, I have to say.. after seeing it twice in the theaters already, both within 36 hours of the release (one with one set of family at midnight, the other with a different set of family; not having to pay either) I think that it could have used some work. I'm not going to go into the stupid spoilers, or anything.. I do want you all to know this: Don't listen to Rotten Tomatoes. Their review of only 20-something % good is obscure. Chances are most of you went to the first one for one of three things.. 1) Megan Fox.. 2) Boom! Kapow! Krash!.. & 3) Transformers' story. RT said it was just a stupid summer explosion movie. Though it is a summer movie filled with more explosions than I've seen in a while, and the story is kind of .. meh.. the movie is good. I've always been a fan of Shia LaBeouf, ever since his debut on Even Stevens, that old disney show. I can't believe people are expecting a deep, profound story to it when the first one didn't have it. If you think Transformers is silly, then don't go see it. If you think Megan Fox is ugly, then don't go see it. If you are some movie robot who only likes solid meaning and reason behind everything in a movie, then don't go see it. Otherwise, go see it. Now.

Though I loved the new Transformers, I have to say.. after seeing it twice in the theaters already, both within 36 hours of the release (one with one set of family at midnight, the other with a different set of family; not having to pay either) I think that it could have used some work. I'm not going to go into the stupid spoilers, or anything.. I do want you all to know this: Don't listen to Rotten Tomatoes. Their review of only 20-something % good is obscure. Chances are most of you went to the first one for one of three things.. 1) Megan Fox.. 2) Boom! Kapow! Krash!.. & 3) Transformers' story. RT said it was just a stupid summer explosion movie. Though it is a summer movie filled with more explosions than I've seen in a while, and the story is kind of .. meh.. the movie is good. I've always been a fan of Shia LaBeouf, ever since his debut on Even Stevens, that old disney show. I can't believe people are expecting a deep, profound story to it when the first one didn't have it. If you think Transformers is silly, then don't go see it. If you think Megan Fox is ugly, then don't go see it. If you are some movie robot who only likes solid meaning and reason behind everything in a movie, then don't go see it. Otherwise, go see it. Now.

Well, that's a bummer. There are five types of movies for me:

(1) Opening Night movies. These are the ones I most look forward to. I might even see a midnight showing. Star Wars, Star Trek, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings. If it takes me longer than a week to see it, I must be really, really busy.

(2) First Run movies. I'm excited about it, but I won't make the extra effort to see it in the first week or so with the big crowds. I'll wait until it's on a smaller screen in the theater, or maybe see a matinee.

(3) Dollar Theater movies. I want to see it, and I want to see it on the big screen, but not enough to pay $8 to see it. I'll wait a few weeks until I can see it for $5 or less.

(4) DVD movies. Not all that interested. Maybe I want to see this one eventually, but not necessarily on the big screen. I'll buy it if it's cheap, but I'll probably just rent it from the Redbox. Or even find a friend I can borrow it from a couple of years down the road.

(5) No thanks. I will only watch this kind of movie if it happens to be on in a room I'm in. Sometimes not even then.

Based upon your rating, tHs, as well as my girlfriend's, it's been bumped from a 2 to a 3. Story is key. If there's not a good story, not even the best special effects can bump it up.

Well, that's a bummer. There are five types of movies for me:

(1) Opening Night movies. These are the ones I most look forward to. I might even see a midnight showing. Star Wars, Star Trek, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings. If it takes me longer than a week to see it, I must be really, really busy.

(2) First Run movies. I'm excited about it, but I won't make the extra effort to see it in the first week or so with the big crowds. I'll wait until it's on a smaller screen in the theater, or maybe see a matinee.

(3) Dollar Theater movies. I want to see it, and I want to see it on the big screen, but not enough to pay $8 to see it. I'll wait a few weeks until I can see it for $5 or less.

(4) DVD movies. Not all that interested. Maybe I want to see this one eventually, but not necessarily on the big screen. I'll buy it if it's cheap, but I'll probably just rent it from the Redbox. Or even find a friend I can borrow it from a couple of years down the road.

(5) No thanks. I will only watch this kind of movie if it happens to be on in a room I'm in. Sometimes not even then.

Based upon your rating, tHs, as well as my girlfriend's, it's been bumped from a 2 to a 3. Story is key. If there's not a good story, not even the best special effects can bump it up.