usedHONDA

The <off topic> thread

Okay, here's what I've got so far:

Intel Core i7 @ 2.66 Ghz

GeForce GTX 285

700W PSU

Intel X58 ATX Motherboard

6GB (3 X 2GB) DDR3 1333 RAM

Not sure about the DVD/DVD-RW drive, and would this case be good aswell?

EDIT: Whoops, forgot the hard drive

I though that was funny for a 285 to be so cheap but then I saw it was PNY. Going to warn you right here right now, You get what you pay for !.

I would look at BFG and Evga for video cards for 2 reasons. There good and they both offer lifetime warranty so it don't matter when the card dies, it will be replaced.

the BBC always do good TV.

Um... What? Apart from when they don't, which is most of the year. I find that there is a good series every three or four months on BBC1, such as Hustle which I shall be watching in five hours time, and BBC 2 isn't bad for the odd documentary. BBC 3 is unnecessary and BBC 4 by all rights should not exist. And, by the way, we've got your snow now, and it's starting to settle. Damn, more ice on my hill... It'll get glaciated soon, I swear; there's a corrie at the top already.

I'm announcing my official return to pdn. Though my desktop is about 5 - 6 years old and seems about to die, I will probably be running boot camp on my computer so I can run XP. I love what pdn produces. I was digging through my photobucket and came across my current. 100% pdn except for render and I even tut it. I miss work like this because it stands out over photoshop. I will be doing a lot more manips like my current rather then brushes and stuff. ha. I also will be creating C4Ds since I got cinema 4d and I'll have exclusive download for the pdn members here.

I have never tried much of smudge on pdn so maybe I can master that and conquer the world. :twisted: haha. I've been talking to doctor a lot recently, and he is truly and amazing artist. His work has won him a lot of SOTW's on GameRenders.com, beating those of photoshop. I will still be using photoshop though for making sigs occaisionly, all my school work, and the other programs I purchased with CS3 like Flash and Illustrator and InDesign and dreamweaver.

I'll be producing a lot more resources and tutorials and even better, video tutorials.

I know none of you care, but I wanted to just say it. =]

:)

Hustle which I shall be watching in five hours time

Hustle. Is. Awesome.

Anyone who says different needs to go see a psychiatrist.

BBC 3 is unnecessary

:shock: BBC3 is decent. Good for when you miss programmes on BBC1/2 and is shown as a repeat on BBC3. Like Heroes.

BBC 4 by all rights should not exist

QFT. End of.

Rick, what are my options for Pdn on mac?

Thanks surv. hehe

PDN is still strictly Windows. Throw in Boot camp or a similar Virtual PC thing. The only thing I could see "working" would be Paint Mono, which is as stable as the Zimbabwian economy.

@David Atwell: If you really want to go cheap, get the 9800GTX+. A really decent NVidia card, for a mere 165$. It's like 80% of the GTX260 (Core 216).

When it comes to Paint.NET on the Mac, there are two options.

1. Pay $80 for Parallels Desktop. It's quite good.

2. Donate a few hundred thousand US$ so I can fund development of a Mac port.

Clearly, #1 is the better alternative unless you want to deploy Paint.NET to 5,000 Macintoshes.

How do I install XP on a mac when the only thing I have is the XP that came on my desktop. Is there a CD or something??

No. Assuming you're using BootCamp, (which is free with all new Macbooks :| ) you have to go buy a fresh new copy of Windows XP. I believe Newegg sells them for something like $90. Put that disc into the Mac, load up BootCamp, follow the instructions, etc etc. Now, if you're wanting PC/Mac open simultaneously, you'll need VMWare Fusion, which personally I believe is better than Parallels. That's another $80.

Now, if you're wanting PC/Mac open simultaneously, you'll need VMWare Fusion, which personally I believe is better than Parallels. That's another $80.

Or you could use Parallels - or, as I mentioned before, VirtualBox, which even allows you to combine the desktops, dragging PDN around your mac desktop (example.)

You could probably step down to a a Geforce 260 / 265 and not regret it too much, unless you're a hardcore gamer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814150329

Something like this? Or this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130400

As long as it can fit in the case I gave in my earlier post, it's fine by me.

EDIT: Also fogot to add monitors etc.

22" widescreen monitor

Keyboard with backlight

Simple mouse (the one I have at the moment)

I'm pretty sure I just need a fan (unless it comes with the i7 or motherboard), and then a OS, but even then, I may just use Windows 7, and duel-boot so I can have Linux aswell.

If your wondering why I need all the new stuff like monitor's and that, it's mainly down to that my sister is demanding she gets the computer I have currently when I get the new one, or I won't be able to even to get a new one, and for gaming, this one sucks badly.

Go for the XFX one, I do believe they have a double lifetime warrenty.

Of course, if you really wanted a good value, you could go for a Radeon 4870, like here. I understand that you've had a bad experience with ATI, but I can vouch for this generation, they're beastly.

Go for the XFX one, I do believe they have a double lifetime warrenty.

Of course, if you really wanted a good value, you could go for a Radeon 4870, like here. I understand that you've had a bad experience with ATI, but I can vouch for this generation, they're beastly.

While I can deal with processor's fine enough, I'm stumped about graphic cards. I've narrowed it down to three, which one would be the best from the Radeon 4870?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814102810

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814150338

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814129113

from 2 pages ago:

you've never heard of friday the 13th?

no one has ever referenced 13 being unlucky?

do you have over protective parents?

oh ive heard of friday the 13th. btw im going to see that movie this weekend.

but ive never heard of it being unlucky with age.

my dad. i think. is over protective, my mom is'nt that much