The <off topic> thread

Whew. Armegatron is strange to control. And how on earth are you supposed to chat while whizzing around like that?

I really don't get the chat bit, but hey, whatevs.

However, I absolutely love the camera in that game. The trail camera just flows so smoothly and dynamically that it feels like it's a part of the experience, and the first-person camera is brilliant - "Take him into the maze!" The sound effect when you turn isn't quite the thwock from the movie, but it's close enough to evoke a hefty wave of nostalgia.

Thanks for pointing me to that game, David. ;)

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Whew. Armegatron is strange to control. And how on earth are you supposed to chat while whizzing around like that?

I think the chat's meant to be used in huge online games in which you'll be out of the game for a decent percentage of it. Armagetron, by many accounts, is meant to be played online. Maybe if we get enough players, we'll set up a PdN game sometime. :-)

However, I absolutely love the camera in that game. The trail camera just flows so smoothly and dynamically that it feels like it's a part of the experience, and the first-person camera is brilliant - "Take him into the maze!" The sound effect when you turn isn't quite the thwock from the movie, but it's close enough to evoke a hefty wave of nostalgia.

The camera is certainly done correctly. Every 3D game ever could take a cue from the camera controls on this open-source game...the automatic controls are good enough, but when you can switch the camera view using something as simple as the arrow keys...Like I said before, sublime. When I was talking to Dan about the game, I didn't even mention the camera first off - but it wasn't because I hadn't noticed. It was because the camera is SO good, it immerses you SO well, that you forget how awesome it is because...well, it doesn't seem like a camera. It seems like you're actually there.

As for sound, I LOVE the sound while you're accelerating - especially when you get really close to another wall. It's at the same time techy and almost lyrical, but still feels concrete, weighty, and real.

Thanks for pointing me to that game, David. ;)

The pleasure, of course, is all mine. :-) Great game.

And for those of you who didn't catch it before and don't want to click back through - it's http://www.armagetronad.net/ . Honestly, you should really play this game. Even if you've never seen Tron before. Superb. Sublime.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Only if you hire another one. The first lot have already been dispatched... No Agent 47 for them, just a guy off of Craigslist for them! Hey, whatever, he has good feedback.

Lorenz_84_signature_by_PhillipsJ2.png

"I am the anarchist, I am the antichrist, I am the walrus, G'JOO G'GOO G'JOOB!"

I dig a pygmy, by Charles Hawtree and the Deaf Aids. Phase One, in which Doris gets her oats.

~John Lennon

Question: where exactly is it that you check if you have net 3 or net 2? I think I upgraded awhile back but want to check which version I'm using.

ciao

OMA

Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs. Find the .NET framework, and it should tell you which one you have. (You might have more than one)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

I cleaned some registry issues from CCleaner.

Turns out they were Photoshop registry files.

So now I am stuck with an unfurled Adobe mass that refuses to uninstall. :(

Just delete the whole folder from Program Files, the next time you try to uninstall it from the Control Panel, it will tell you that it's already uninstalled and will ask your permission to remove the entry from the list. Works in most cases. :roll:

siggy1mo8.png

lovemeh.png

Yes, I'm a fan. ;]

*tips hat* :-)