Although we all know it won't be proper snow, I do wonder how much there will be.

Can you believe that a month ago, there was a prediction that there was a 40% of a "white Christmas"?!! Now that would be cool . . .

In theory, we were supposed to be getting some snow today...didn't happen, though.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Wow... someone definitely just breathed new life into my favorite quote of Mark Twain's: Those who think they know everything annoy those of us who do.

If you've been paying attention to the plugin forum lately, you might know what I'm talking about.

We had snow a couple days ago. 2 of our ski resorts are already open. Loveland and Arapahoe Basin, I believe.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Wow... someone definitely just breathed new life into my favorite quote of Mark Twain's: Those who think they know everything annoy those of us who do.

If you've been paying attention to the plugin forum lately, you might know what I'm talking about.

I had a quick scan, and I found the example:

viewtopic.php?f=16&p=225975#p225975

This is certainly neat to try, but the performance is ridiculous. You have to sit and wait each time you click for it to show up. GIMP seems to do this effortlessly and instantaneously.

Is there any way to make future versions perform more appropriately?

I'm installing GIMP right now for testing, but in my experience the render quality is not as good in GIMP, and Photoshop is ridiculously slow. Also, make sure your brush size settings are comparable. Keep in mind the difference between diameter and radius.

LATER: Yep, I just tested in GIMP. You can clearly see banding in the smudge once you start using brush sizes above like 8.

It's not dual core, unfortunately. It's 1.6GHz processor.

Is it a Pentium 4? My Smudge algorithm is especially slow on P4s compared to AMD or other single-core processors with similar performance. The next version will reduce this p4-penalty, but it will still be like swimming in molasses when compared to any multi-core processor.

However, GIMP somehow performs smudge with more detail and more options quite effortlessly which is strange for it being ported to win32 on GTK. You would think that GIMP would be slower for this.
GTK is an interface toolkit - it's responsible for handling the differences between buttons and windows on Linux versus buttons and windows on Windows. It has nothing to do with the data-processing, which will be compiled to native code on each platform it is compiled on.
Paint.NET being native win32, I would assume it would make use of DirectX for these things.

Paint.NET is not native - it's .NET. It runs in a virtual machine.

DirectX has nothing to do with graphics processing in the sense of image editors. Its job is to interface with the graphics card as fast as possible so that the card may do what it's designed for - rendering 2D and 3D images to the screen as fast as possible, with it being perfectly acceptable to sacrifice accuracy for speed. 2D-Graphics editing programs such as Photoshop, GIMP, and Paint.NET are designed for something completely different and use the CPU, not the GPU for all of their work. Although it would be technically possible to use DirectX for it, it would be extremely painful for the programmer, and probably quite a bit slower. This would be akin to using a hammer to drive screws.

I highly recommend upgrading to a dual-or-more-core processor. Not only will Smudge and most other graphics-editing tasks be orders of magnitude faster, but anything else you do on your computer will be faster too. You'll be able to run more programs at once without any of them slowing down.

I had a quick scan, and I found the example:

viewtopic.php?f=16&p=225975#p225975

THE WHOLE THING...

I was going for the "subtle" angle, but that works too, I guess.

xZYt6wl.png

Is anyone here in the UK lucky enough to have even had the slightest drop of snow yet? None here - :( .

Yep, in Harrow we experienced a lot of snow on the 28th, but it didn't settle well. :(

Still, there was enough to have a small snowball fight. :D

I can't believe its snowed in Britain in October already. I think people in the UK are in for a very chilly winter...

Merry Christmas

.::.My Gallery.::.Make Gold Text!.::.

Yeah, we had about two inches of snow in Hertfordshire (near Watford)! I'll post some pictures of it tomorrow, it looked idyllic walking the dog in the fields near my house today.

Lorenz_84_signature_by_PhillipsJ2.png

"I am the anarchist, I am the antichrist, I am the walrus, G'JOO G'GOO G'JOOB!"

I dig a pygmy, by Charles Hawtree and the Deaf Aids. Phase One, in which Doris gets her oats.

~John Lennon

You two were certainly very lucky. Down here in Bexley, it's all sunshine but with very cold air yet no snow - as I expected.

And up here in the North, I'm pretty sure Summer and Winter have mixed the weather up. It's been great recently, weather wise, but it was terrible in the Summer.

Should be the other way around >_>

Does anyone know of a good command prompt alternatiative: one that at least supports the clipboard.

PowerShell. I don't think it supports the clipboard in the Ctrl+V/C/X sense, but it probably has cmdlets that can use the clipboard, and if not it would take all of 3 minutes to write your own clipboard cmdlet.

First impressions can be misleading. This person actually turned out to be completely rational and a pleasure to talk to. :D

xZYt6wl.png