The <off topic> thread

Sad times. I wish it were theoretical. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

From what I hear, it's actually death as a result of the vending machine tipping over on top of them.

Which just goes to show you - DON'T shake a vending machine! You will NOT get a free product! :-P

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

I'm curious as to why uH didn't get in trouble for his last post (last post page before this..). Just curious why he posted it in all capitals.. 0.o
He did. I PMed him. I don't want to edit a post that large on my own, so I'm having him do it as soon as he logs back in. :-P
DON'T shake a vending machine! You will NOT get a free product! :-P

Unless it has a glass front, smashing as it hits you and then you will know you have a free product hitting you on the head. Several. And a splinter to boot.

That's pretty funny. :-P

3 1/325 chances are still 1/365 chances. it doesnt make them 3/365 chances.

Hmm... Let's say there are only five days in a year. If there are two people, there's a 1/5 chance that they have the same birthday (that is, if one of them is on the 1st, the other has a 1/5 chance of being on the 1st, also). With three people, if A is on the 1st, the B and C have a 1/5 chance each of also being on the first. But B and C also have a 1/5 chance of being on the same day. Only one qualification of all possible options need be satisfied, with a sample size of three. Wouldn't that make it 3/5? 3 chances to choose from 5 days?

Nope, cazaron is correct. A single 3/365 chance has a greater possiblity than 3 1/365 chances. I had a similar discussion with a teacher (who knows HEAPS about maths(although he's not my maths teacher)) about rolling a 8 sided die and 12 sided die and getting an 8. I asked how you would do this question because you can't just add the chances together (1/8+1/12) because if you had many more dice, the total would be more than a 100% chance.

Or in this case, you're saying that if you had 365 1/365 chances, that it would be an 100% chance. Obviously this is not the case.

This is how you're supposed to do it...

Diceroll.png

Unfortunately I forgot to ask how to do more than two dice. I guess I'll ask him next time I see him.

Try this. It worked for me with no problem :)

...He did. I PMed him. I don't want to edit a post that large on my own, so I'm having him do it as soon as he logs back in...
Edited :wink:

EDIT: I'm not sure if my post was understood. If you checked out the link that I had put there, you would've seen that I was trying to prove a point about the absurd uselessness of that key. No mistake made; actually, it takes me a long time [about 3 seconds] to enable Caps Lock because I use a program called Enso that uses the key to execute all sorts of commands .

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

heh... the li'l yr 7 kid is right?quote]

Surely there's nothing wrong with that?

On that note, glad to see we're getting a few younger members here. Not that I'd know, I haven't been here since... the 14th? Goodness, it seems longer than that. Perhaps it's because my posts are becoming so sparse. Not that that should bother anyone, it's not like any of my posts are helpful.

On that note (goodness, I say that much too often), you may be wondering why I'm here on this occasion. Well, although it may seem rude of me to make one soo soon after coming back from the ostensibly dead I have a request. For part of my homework I must write a biography on a member of my family or friends. Well, no luck with family. they won't let me do one on them. And, well, I have no friends in England that I can meet face to face. Next option? I was wondering whether I could do a biography on a member of this forum/ex-member (although I can only think of one person who falls into the latter category that I can contact). So, if anyone would like to be wrritten about, please PM me.