The <off topic> thread

If it has "MSIE" in the user agent, it thinks the browser is Internet Exploder.

BEST EVER. I'm calling it that from now on. :-D

In that case, since MSIE has around 65% of the browser share, that's 65% of the net exploded. :shock: :( :evil:

Look, in the air! It's a bird, it's a plane! Oh bloody potato, it's uH.

Yeah, I haven't been doing any graphic design lately. I've been catching up on websites like Twitter, but unfortunately, Facebook decided it didn't like me and deleted all of my friends. All 200+ of 'em. So far, I've gotten 9 of them back. Wish me luck :D

I've also been spending a lot of time trying to make my desktop more humane. I've gotten Rainmeter [a more geek-friendly version of Rainlendar], ObjectDock, and AveDesk [faster, smoother alternative to Yahoo Widgets].

Oh, and I'm going to be getting a Mac.

by the way, me gusta el tutorial forum nuevo!

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

AveDesk has failed me so far.

-F8 activates some sort of 'sleep' mode, which interferes with PDN

-Customizations (custom skinning using PNGs) don't seem to save after shutting down, although I could be doing something wrong.

And it clutters my desktop. What's the point of having a beautiful wallpaper if you can't look at it?

Welcome back!

Yeah, I haven't been doing any graphic design lately. I've been catching up on websites like Twitter, but unfortunately, Facebook decided it didn't like me and deleted all of my friends. All 200+ of 'em. So far, I've gotten 9 of them back. Wish me luck :D
(Click the Linky: "fBook," below ;-))
Once you start down this dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny!
by the way, me gusta el tutorial forum nuevo!
Gracias!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

You can modify this theme in combination with one of the extensions out this theme pack (the pack contains the theme file and extension separately, you obviously don't want the Chrome theme) to relocate the tab bar above the Address Bar.

That should work.

Within weeks there was one of Chrome for FF; it's only time.
Not even that. Let's see... Lifehacker announced Google Chrome on September 2nd, and then they showed off Chromifox on the 8th.

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

This is pretty darn clever.

http://www.mezzacotta.net/singles/create_a_universe.php

But what if there are actually three? One in which I shut down the browser, turned off the computer, and went to bed?

Or what about the one in which I decide not to post this link on the PdN forums?

Or what about the one in which I decide to spell the last word of the previous line "Fora?"

Or what about the one in which I ate cereal for breakfast yesterday?

Or what about the one in which I decided to stay downstairs a couple of hours ago instead of going to say good night to my girlfriend?

Or what about the one in which I never asked her to be my girlfriend?

Or what about the one in which I changed my major a year earlier?

Or what about the one in which I chose a different university?

Or what about the one in which I chose not to study for an exam in 4th grade?

Or what about the one in which I chose to step out into traffic as a young boy?

Or what about the one in which I was never born, because my parents never chose to marry?

Interesting to think about.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

Wow!!! Did you ever push one of those buttons at that link? Your universe can get really complicated with all the variables you suggested. Makes my head want to blow up. It does sound like fun. Maybe that's how all those sci-fi writers get their ideas.

No joke. :-) Sci-fi is basically just one long "what-if" question answered many, many different ways.

I just read that in any group of 23 people there's a 50% chance that 2 people have the same birth date.

Hmm. I'm having a problem with this simple math. There are 365 days in a year; ergo, in a group of 2, there is a 1/365 chance that they'll have the same birthday (that is, no matter what the day is, there is a 1/365 chance that the other person's matches it).

In a group of 3 people, each has two that they might match with (that is, A, B, and C can match as AB, BC, or CA). This means that you have three 1/365 chances stacking up on top of one another, for a 3/365 chance.

In a group of 4 people, each has three that they might match with (that is, A, B, C, and D can match as AB, AC, AD, BC, BD, or CD). This gives you six 1/365 chances stacking up on top of one another, for a 6/365 chance.

A group of 5 people can match up like so: AB, AC, AD, AE, BC, BD, BE, CD, CE, DE. Ten 1/365 chances give you a 10/365 chance.

Six people can match up as: AB, AC, AD, AE, AF, BC, BD, BE, BF, CD, CE, CF, DE, DF, EF. Fifteen 1/365 chances; 15/365, which reduces to 3/73. Perhaps you've noticed a pattern; the numerator of the next fraction will always be equal to the current term's numerator plus the number of people in the current set. Let's try it on the next one.

Seven people. Our pattern would suggest that there be a 21/365 chance; 6 people in the previous set, plus a numerator of 15. Let's try it out. Matches: AB, AC, AD, AE, AF, AG, BC, BD, BE, BF, BG, CD, CE, CF, CG, DE, DF, DG, EF, EG, FG. Twenty-one 1/365 chances; 21/365. We win! The next one (eight people) should have a 28/365 chance. (7 people in this set, plus a numerator of 21)

Let's try it. Matches: AB, AC, AD, AE, AF, AG, AH, BC, BD, BE, BF, BG, BH, CD, CE, CF, CG, CH, DE, DF, DG, DH, EF, EG, EH, FG, FH, GH. 28 chances. 28/365. The pattern holds.

So, we can make this a lot easier. 9 would have 36 (28+8); 10 would have 45 (36+9); 11 would have 55 (45+10); 12 would have 66; 13 would have 78; 14 would have 91; 15 would have 106; 16 would have 121; 17 would have 137; 18 would have 164; so on.

But by this time, I'll have gone over 182 (half of 365) once 20 people get into the mix, not 23. Any ideas?

David you're assuming that there's no records on what day people were born. Because of this, you used the theoretical possibilities, which is not correct because people are already born, so practical data would have given a more correct result.

I suppose you're right; birthdates are skewed more toward certain times of the year. That would change the odds a bit.

3 1/325 chances are still 1/365 chances. it doesnt make them 3/365 chances.

Hmm... Let's say there are only five days in a year. If there are two people, there's a 1/5 chance that they have the same birthday (that is, if one of them is on the 1st, the other has a 1/5 chance of being on the 1st, also). With three people, if A is on the 1st, the B and C have a 1/5 chance each of also being on the first. But B and C also have a 1/5 chance of being on the same day. Only one qualification of all possible options need be satisfied, with a sample size of three. Wouldn't that make it 3/5? 3 chances to choose from 5 days?