The <off topic> thread

thanks Crazy man dan.

I had read that page on Tacoda and had seen that opt out area. I just wasn't sure how it would effect my computor.

Does anyone on the site opt out? Does that action generate any problems for you?

I'm totally fed up with the number of warnings these tacoda cookies generate. It would also explain the amount of doubleclik warnings I've been receiving.

and thanks Stephan, I've set my acceptance at cookies at high but some of these still seem to slip thru.

ciao

I have not opted out of it.

Actually, the best thing I could suggest to keep the tracking cookies away is the use of an Ad Blocker. There are blockers for Firefox and Internet Explorer, so whichever you choose to use, you can keep those nasty ads away. You see, if the advertisement iframe is intercepted by the plug-in and blocked from loading, it has no opportunity to set the cookie, thereby producing no warning.

My Dad asked made a similar remark the other day - my parents have two computers for family use, but my sister primarily uses one and he primarily the other. He commented that whenever he does a scan of the computers, the one he uses always gives tracking cookie warnings, and the one my sister uses doesn't, yet my sister uses the internet much more often than he does. He asked why that was, and my response was a question: "Which browser do you use?" He responded "Usually Internet Explorer." "She uses Firefox with AdBlock Plus installed," I said. "That's why."

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

On my parents' computer, I installed Firefox with an IE skin, changed the icon to that of IE, and removed the IE logo from their desktop. They've never been happier. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

My lot are technological dinosaurs. They actually prefer IE6 *exorcises oneself* to the goodness that is Firefox (down NCFan!), and my father refuses to admit that his work laptop, over five years old, that can not even run Firefox, is perfect for the high-bandwith-ram-using virtual workspace he needs... :oops:

Lorenz_84_signature_by_PhillipsJ2.png

"I am the anarchist, I am the antichrist, I am the walrus, G'JOO G'GOO G'JOOB!"

I dig a pygmy, by Charles Hawtree and the Deaf Aids. Phase One, in which Doris gets her oats.

~John Lennon

I wish my father would buy a computer and get on the Internet.

All the time I find interesting sites/news articles that would interest him, but he'll never see them!

He won't do it because he's worried about 2 things: getting a virus and identity theft. :roll:

Click to play:
j.pngs.pngd.pnga.pngp.png
Download: BoltBait's Plugin Pack | CodeLab | and how about a Computer Dominos Game

On my parents' computer, I installed Firefox with an IE skin, changed the icon to that of IE, and removed the IE logo from their desktop. They've never been happier. :-)

Mine didn't even notice yet :P

My lot are technological dinosaurs. They actually prefer IE6 *exorcises oneself* to the goodness that is Firefox (down NCFan!), and my father refuses to admit that his work laptop, over five years old, that can not even run Firefox, is perfect for the high-bandwith-ram-using virtual workspace he needs... :oops:

My mom has an old latop (like 7 years old.. no joke.) Which can even run Firefox. :lol:

:lol:

I don't need to do that, because I've already got all my family using FF.

:P

MyBB Tutorials, check out my site. :)

Tell Your Parents to use Opera!

They consider tabbed browsing to be a step too far... It's too multi-tasking-futuristic-hyper-super-gobbledegook for them... :oops:

.:EDIT:.

On a nice note, my exams are over!!! They were only Year 10 assessments, but Gawd were they tiring! I had exam leave, so I just went into school for the hour or so, then walked through Watford to catch a bus home, which might have been nice, but literally three people out of the 180 in the year don't live in Pinner or West Watford, so it's just me and them going home, and Watford's a big place, and lots of these two people had exams at different times to me, so it turned out to be tiring, lonely, inconvenient and expensive, and £1.10 for a child's ticket for a 4-and-a-half-mile journey...

Lorenz_84_signature_by_PhillipsJ2.png

"I am the anarchist, I am the antichrist, I am the walrus, G'JOO G'GOO G'JOOB!"

I dig a pygmy, by Charles Hawtree and the Deaf Aids. Phase One, in which Doris gets her oats.

~John Lennon

thanks all very informative. David I'm interested in that firefox and ie skin idea! I'm more than progressive for my age range but poor OPA has one heck of a time just turning the computor on to get an e mail from the grandson. I'd hate to change things he's just getting familiar with the looks of.

(would you beleive....I did screen shots of the the steps to get his email and framed them up on the wall behind the monitor screen) wouldn't want to have to re do that teaching experience. :lol:

PS BoltBait if dad is afraid of identity theft ... must mean there's an inheritance.

ciao

Two trailer park girls go round the outside!

Round the outside! round the outside!

Guess who's back [back back], back again [gain gain]?

HONDA's back [back back], tell a friend [friend friend]!

Guess who's back, guess who's back

Guess who's back, guess who's back

Guess who's back, guess who's back, guess who's back!

So... one week, 40+ offtopic pages... what'd I miss?

[ edit: in case you didn't know, that came from an Eminem song:

]

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

So... one week, 40+ offtopic pages... what'd I miss?

Well... the best post of the week went something like this...

:

Possibly first time I've seen BoltBait use his sense of humor..

;)

MyBB Tutorials, check out my site. :)