Sign in to follow this  
usedHONDA

The <off topic> thread

The way I see it - When I buy a PS3, I know that every PS3 game now and every PS3 game in the future will run on that PS3. I don't have to worry about having to throw a few hundred dollars into my PS3 to make sure I can play GT5 when it comes out - it will be designed to work on that system. I don't have to worry about what type of 3D rendering environment my graphics card supports, and I don't have to worry that an upgrade to one hardware component or driver will break some of the older classics I still enjoy.

I'm a video game collector - I'll spend a few hundred bucks on a new system every few years, then build up that system's library, and continue to play games on that system long after its official "life" has ended. I'm not obsessed with graphics - I like it when games look nice, but I don't have to have the most bleeding-edge tech to feel satisfied.

Truth be told, I couldn't even name the hardware components in my computer. I bought this laptop from the manufacturer as-is, and I haven't changed a thing in two and a half years. I know it's not a gaming-quality machine - it never was, to be realistic - but it has thus far suited my needs.

As for me, I'll keep my gaming on consoles and my graphics on computers. ;)

Hey, Dan, have you ever playe Grim Fandango? The last of the LucasArts point & click games (although this one didn't really use point & click, everything was controlled by the keyboard but that's by the by), came out in 1998. The graphics by today's standards are poor but there is a very certain style in there. Also, if you really want head-scratching puzzles then you don't need to look any further. Quality game, get it in a bargian bin near you & you won't regret it. :)

Hey, Dan, have you ever playe Grim Fandango?

I've heard of Grim Fandango, and I've heard that it's a great game, but I've never played it. Amazon will let me pick it up for $35, though. ;)

Couple of years ago, I spent $4 on a set of dominoes. I'm still having fun.

But the newer models are sooo much cooler! Totally worth investing $7.50 into 8)

@CMD: Good man! You have a decent common sense, and a better perspective what's the best console-based driving simulator evar.

Personally, I don't really care about video games in general, but there are those select few exceptions. Gran Turismo, TrackMania, and a few neo-retro games (like Metroid and Zelda).

edit: neo-retro is a term I made up a few years ago, defined as a game or game series made in the Golden Age of gaming being revived in a current-generation console.

I've heard of Grim Fandango, and I've heard that it's a great game, but I've never played it. Amazon will let me pick it up for $35, though. ;)

I think I paid £15 for my copy & I've seen it about for £5 recently. You'll probably need to do a bit of poking to find a patch for the game so it'll work on XP / Vista.

Also, don't use a walkthrough, I did & it kinda ruined the game... kinda, it was still fun but less satisfactory than if I'd figured it out for myself...

@CMD: Good man! You have a decent common sense, and a better perspective what's the best console-based driving simulator evar.

Word. 8)

I play Forza, I play TOCA, and I have Enthusia, but I always come back to Gran Turismo.

Personally, I don't really care about video games in general, but there are those select few exceptions. Gran Turismo, TrackMania, and a few neo-retro games (like Metroid and Zelda).

I loved the Metroid games on the 'Cube - unlike some series, it was a very successful modernization of a classic I enjoyed. Unfortunately, my GameCube library is found wanting in that area. I do have the Zelda games for it, though - Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, as well as the classics compilation disc and the Ocarina of Time: Master Quest disc.

Oddly enough, the largest part of my GameCube collection is made up of a series that comes from one of Nintendo's greatest rivals back in the day - a series that has been critically and increasingly lambasted over the years - the Sonic series. Adventure DX, Adventure 2 Battle, Heroes, Shadow, Riders, and the Gems Collection all sit proudly upon the GameCube shelf of my DVD racks. I figure they need a happy, loving home somewhere, right? ;)

Edit:

I think I paid £15 for my copy & I've seen it about for £5 recently. You'll probably need to do a bit of poking to find a patch for the game so it'll work on XP / Vista.

Yeah, I have a terrible habit of "Laze" - if I can find it on Amazon, and not have to prowl about looking for it in all manner of different places, I sometimes spend the higher price just for the convenience. ;)

And I tend not to use walkthroughs unless I'm very, very stuck. I was stuck in an area of Twilight Princess for about a month before I figured it out myself - there was a feeling of accomplishment, combined with a feeling of wanting to punch myself in the face for not seeing it sooner. :lol:

I don't understand. (And I doubt I ever will...) why graphics are so important. I can get the best graphics on Earth, instantly, without spending a cent. I open my door and watch nature. Simple.

Games don't have to look like they're a part of the real world. That's stupid. Focus on content and gameplay over graphics. As long as it's not pixelated rubbish, it's fine. It's so annoying when I all hear about is graphics...

I still think it's immensely stupid to have to spend >$1,000 to play a few $40 games. It dosen't matter that then you'll have the equipment, because then a few years later it's obsolete and you have to spend even more money....

I hate PC gaming.

Not my view and I got a feeling that if you were like me you change your view as well. Gaming has open doors for me and has gotten me jobs and skills in life. I know over 20 people personally all over the world and have been talking to them for over 5 years now as we play online games. I also got about 80 people on my Xfire who I ment at some point during gaming and talk to at times. I call them 80 friends but I don't know them as well as I know the 20 + people.

Lets put it this way. I use to hate iPods because they were made by Mac. Yet I never tryed one. One day I got myself a 30GB iPod and I don't go one day without it. See what I am saying.

If I never had online gaming (note: I like playing games with others not by myself) I would go nuts. There notthing like shooting so people up and seeing there blood spary all over the walls after a long day. Notthing like trying to dodge bullets as they come through the wall. It just so much fun. I should do up a few videos of me gaming in CoD4 with some friends.

I don't understand. (And I doubt I ever will...) why graphics are so important. I can get the best graphics on Earth, instantly, without spending a cent. I open my door and watch nature. Simple.

Games don't have to look like they're a part of the real world. That's stupid. Focus on content and gameplay over graphics. As long as it's not pixelated rubbish, it's fine. It's so annoying when I all hear about is graphics...

Hear hear! :-)

You had me convenced right up until the bolded part. That tells me that you are the same as everyone else, its just that you set your "accetable" bar lower. That is all.

You had me convenced right up until the bolded part. That tells me that you are the same as everyone else, its just that you set your "accetable" bar lower. That is all.

I'm not saying I'll play any game, I'm just saying if the graphics aren't blocky and are fairly good, I won't mind.

I still think it's immensely stupid to have to spend >$1,000 to play a few $40 games. It dosen't matter that then you'll have the equipment, because then a few years later it's obsolete and you have to spend even more money....

I hate PC gaming.

Not my view and I got a feeling that if you were like me you change your view as well. Gaming has open doors for me and has gotten me jobs and skills in life. I know over 20 people personally all over the world and have been talking to them for over 5 years now as we play online games. I also got about 80 people on my Xfire who I ment at some point during gaming and talk to at times. I call them 80 friends but I don't know them as well as I know the 20 + people.

Lets put it this way. I use to hate iPods because they were made by Mac. Yet I never tryed one. One day I got myself a 30GB iPod and I don't go one day without it. See what I am saying.

If I never had online gaming (note: I like playing games with others not by myself) I would go nuts. There notthing like shooting so people up and seeing there blood spary all over the walls after a long day. Notthing like trying to dodge bullets as they come through the wall. It just so much fun. I should do up a few videos of me gaming in CoD4 with some friends.

?I was talking about graphics.........

Ya but I can't go to Russia and kill people in real life with a G36C and get away with it.

My 1st video card was a 5200 and I though it was the best at the time. Man but did I suck at CoD. When I got the 7900 wow I no longer suck. Why could that been. Well it was because I could see the hairs on your face from like 400 miles and the game ran much better as it never had lag do to a bad video card. Even now people with low end cards call me a hacker because I can see what they can't. Things like the shine of there scopes, shadows from there bodys standing by the door waiting to pop me as I come out. I love that one as I just shoot through the wall and kill them. I can see tracers from there fire and pin point there location.

Sorry people talk about graphics because they mean life or death to a gamer. That why video card makers can sell them for top dollor. Video cards can run you more then any other part. You don't know how important a good video card is untill you use one.

@BB: I don't agree. I think there's a level of quality at which it becomes distracting how bad it is; when it becomes obvious that no care was actually taken in creating the game. At that point, you just can't take it anymore. :-)

Oh, I've played way too many of those. Only on the internet, though. Except for Oregon Trail:

At my school, last year, they forced us to play The Oregon Trail. *Barfs repeatedly on computer screen* *Cleans up barf* The people had cubes for heads. The wagons didn't have insides, they didn't even have edges on the canvas roofs, it was just black inside. The buildings were flat. But it was a text adventure game. To amuse myself, I played peoples' games from other classes :twisted: , but didn't save them.

Well it's not really a "maybe" anymore, since the cat was observed to be in the box, then it exists absolutely in that quantum reality. ;)

Nonetheless, one of the better lolcats I've seen. :)

Rock Band = best game ever.

I finally got Guitar Hero 3 and it's rubbish, total and pure junk. There's just no comparison -- GH3 looks like a PS2 game, and the music roll is visually noisy and difficult to read. It's like they felt they only had enough memory for 3 or 4 animations. In Rock Band your group actually looks like a band playing at a concert. And the music is way better.

What color is your hair in that one? :P It looks mostly un-red.

Edit: My turn:

AdamSuperman2PB.png

Heh heh. That was back when I had a lot of hair, a month or two ago. And, also, I have two of J2K's hair, "dyed" different colors with Curves+:

th_Jake2k-HairColorChanged2.png th_Jake2k-HairColorChanged1.png