Sign in to follow this  
usedHONDA

The <off topic> thread

Well sorry, not everyone is rich like that.

Far from rich.

I need money more then anything. $20 a week is not very much money but it all I get at the end of things. Thing is hardware is so much cheaper now. NCIX is giveing away computer with better spec then what I listed for prices as low as $200 :roll:. You can get a 500 GB hard drive for less then $80. I got my 4 GB of gaming ram for less then $100 as well. I never buy any computer parts unless there on sale. Come to think of it I got my E6700 CPU when they 1st came out for $300 instead of $600 because they put the wrong price on them when I paid for it. They fix the error on the website in a few hours lol. The CPU came with a discont on the motherboard I wanted so that was a bit over $200 instead of being $280. The Raptor was still a lot to buy but worth every penny. I could of got the one with the window but I did not have an extra $30 to spend on a window for a hard drive. So raptor costed me $230. Now the thing that cost more then any other part in this Computer was the most important part of all, Yes more important then the CPU as when your a hardcore gamer you need the best of the best for a video card. Back in the day when I got it, it was 2nd best. Now it 3rd best. 7900 GTX OC video card with 512 MB video by BFG costed me $600. It took me forever to get that kind of cash and that why it going to take me forever to get a new 8800 GTS OC video card.

Yata you don't need to be rich to have a good computer. You just need to know how to shop for computer parts and wait. I started saving and planing back in 2005 for a gaming computer. I just keeped looking at parts and got a list of what I wanted. Over time the best parts would go on sale or drop in price as they become older. At the end of 2005 my computer I had at the time died and I was getting ready to move so I could go to college (meaning I would need a computer). So I started to buy my computer parts as they went on sale. At the end of 2006 I had my computer.

So do it out, I never had money to just buy and build my computer all at once. I had to get it slow and it took me about 2 years really. But I got it by doing it right.

I know there people out there who take out $5000 loans just to get a computer then and there (No joke I have a friend who does that) but that just dumb when you can do better saving up and getting parts on sale.

Also it cheaper to build it yourself instead of going to a computer shop as computer shops rip you off most of the time.

Well sorry, not everyone is rich like that.

Far from rich.

No kidding. A good computer don't cost squat right now. Case in point:

"Intel Cuts Core 2 Quad Price In Half"

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1 ... X1K0000532

The Q6700 is now $299 at newegg. I paid ... gosh, must've been $1100 for a QX6700 back in December 2006. I also paid $600 for 4GB of DDR2-800 CAS4 memory at the time, which is now $138 (for the exact same stuff). Or $80 if you're fine with DDR2-667 or CAS5. Heck, I just upgraded my main box at work to a Q6600 w/ 8 GB for $450 total. And that was the price from Dell! (newegg = cheaper than Dell)

Vista gets a bad rap, but if you ask me it's at least responsible for memory being so darn cheap.

I know there people out there who take out $5000 loans just to get a computer ...
Yeah, not a smart thing to take out a loan to purchase a depreciating asset like that. Consider if you had put that $5000 in to buying 80.64 shares of Visa stock a few weeks back when it was $62. By now it'd be worth $5723, whereas the computer would be worth ... well, less. You shouldn't buy an expensive computer unless 1) you're filthy rich and the money doesn't matter, or 2) it's a business expense in which case you'll probably use it a lot and it's tax deductible. I'm planning on buying a Dual Xeon "Nehalem" when it comes out later this year, but only because I can write off the expense and because I'll be using it for writing massively awesome Paint.NET code.

Consider if you had put that $5000 in to buying 80.64 shares of Visa stock a few weeks back when it was $62. By now it'd be worth $5723, whereas the computer would be worth ... well, less.

Yeah...when you carry a computer out of the store, I'm pretty sure it loses about 20-30% of its value.

It's not a good idea to use extensive amounts of debt to purchase assets that depreciate, ever. Cars (new especially), electronic equipment, etc....

The debt is going to appreciate (inflation, interest, etc.) - when the value of the asset goes down but the amount you're paying for it goes up, you're in trouble. If you're going to go into deep debt, do it for stuff that will be worth more when you get around to selling it: houses, land, etc.

Oh, and avoid mobile homes like the plague. It doesn't appreciate; it depreciates worse than a new car. Pay cash if you can. Actually, that's a good idea in any case...

Anyway, counseling>

Disclaimer: I am not a financial adviser of any training whatsoever. Use my advice at your own risk. (Ignore it at your own risk, too!)

For financial info, I recommend a good blog like Get Rich Slowly, http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/

I also recommend reading as many good books on the subject as you can find, such as the Rich Dad Poor Dad series. I've actually set up daily automatic transfers from checking -> savings to practice the "pay yourself first" mantra, and I barely notice it now.

I think the very title of that blog is good financial advice: getting rich quickly means getting poor quickly. Get rich slowly; earn every penny of it, so you're more careful about spending it. If it all comes at once, it's that much easier to go away all at once.

The details of my cards!

Graphics:

NVIDIA GeForce 6200

Sound-Well, the sticker says:

"24-Bit Advanced HD"

The brand name is:

"Creative: Sound Blaster Audigy"

Geez you can't even play CoD4 on a 6200. min is 6600 and it bad.

I think my Geforce 8500gt could(but with just 512mb ram I don't think it would be fast though). Havent played COD4 yet, I saw it at a friends house when he was playin it, looks great.

Call of Duty? On a computer? You guys must be out of your minds! It's barely fun at all unless it's on a console. :P

What kid would want to learn CSS? :? Even I don't know it, and I'm the geek prince of my grade. There's this other kid, Acim, he has an account here (but he barely uses it, he just made it to spite me). He's my real-life buddy, and together, we're the league of supremely amazingly pwnzorish geeks!

I was always the hidden geek. No one ever knew for some reason ;)

But then I'd do something like bypass a stupid setting on their server and they would be proud... Hehe :P

Acim and I tried to configure a proxy on the school laptops... Then my Health teacher came around, and we had to close out.

Our computer teacher was pathetic, she couldn't do anything, but now we have the one that really actually does the computer stuff for the school. She hates me and Acim, because we have notepad open all the time, trying to edit the HTML for the page of math problems that we're on. :lol::lol:

Call of Duty? On a computer? You guys must be out of your minds! It's barely fun at all unless it's on a console. :P

At least we can AIM properly... And not go wild with machine guns swinging our controllers from left to right. I doubt anyone's ability to snipe on the PS3.

Call of Duty? On a computer? You guys must be out of your minds! It's barely fun at all unless it's on a console.

Been there done that never going back. I like being able to play the game with my G11 and mouse. I also like playing new levels (even making ones myself). Having updates and better game play. Notthing like high end video cards, more ram, and faster hard drives to make gaming more fun. :P

oh and lets not forget about mods. ya there cool. I like the bleed to death unless a medic gets to you mod lol or Merciless Mod. Would tell you detail on Merciless Mod but this is a family froum.

I doubt anyone's ability to snipe on the PS3.

maybe for some games but

are you saying people cant snipe on the ps3! i can snipe :D in unreal tournament i get loads of headshots and i can aim where the bot is going to go and fire a rocket launcher infront of them and then they go boom :shock: and no im not playing with the bots at novice there usually set at experienced but when i first got it i had it on novice and normal :D

but yeah i have to agree with HITMAN-X- its fun to make maps for games :D i make maps for ut 2004 :D but then it broke and i deleted them all lol :D now ive got to make loads of my maps again lol :D

maybe for some games but

are you saying people cant snipe on the ps3! i can snipe :D in unreal tournament i get loads of headshots and i can aim where the bot is going to go and fire a rocket launcher infront of them and then they go boom :shock: and no im not playing with the bots at novice there usually set at experienced but when i first got it i had it on novice and normal :D

but yeah i have to agree with HITMAN-X- its fun to make maps for games :D i make maps for ut 2004 :D but then it broke and i deleted them all lol :D now ive got to make loads of my maps again lol :D

I said I would never map for Call of Duty 4 with my work load now and yet I find myself mapping for Call of Duty 4 lol. Very slow with my work load however after the 2 test I got tormorrow and the next day I will be doing a fast 1 day of work map for a friend. It wont be hard so I told him I would do it for him.

maybe for some games but

I was talking about CoD 4 on the PS3. UT3 might be possible, but as some of you might know, on the PS3 and XBox 360, UT3's speeds is decreased by 3/4th IIRC. Plus, PC gaming comes with better graphics if you can put the money into it. Expandability is key. (No comment on the monster that was the Sega Genesis, with the CD+32X... Every time is see one, i think FrankenSega...)

I still think it's immensely stupid to have to spend >$1,000 to play a few $40 games. It dosen't matter that then you'll have the equipment, because then a few years later it's obsolete and you have to spend even more money....

I hate PC gaming.

Couple of years ago, I spent $4 on a set of dominoes. I'm still having fun.

I have just recently fallen into PC gaming thanks to my new laptop. I believe if you have the power and money behind something, then PC Gaming is amazing. I absolutely love The Orange Box, it runs great on my laptop, and the extras such as modkits and what not make The Orange Box on the PC all that much better. If it wasnt for Fable 2 I would have already taken my 360 to Game Stop to get more PC games.

@BoltBait: lol

Couple of years ago, I spent $4 on a set of dominoes. I'm still having fun.

Don't forget your "Magic the gathering" cards :wink:

I don't even want to think about how much money I've spent on those things. :D

Don't forget your "Magic the gathering" cards :wink:

I worry that I've spent hundreds of euro for those trading cards... -.-

I still have some champion sets and some rare cards...maybe one day I can sell them on ebay :)

Retrospective it was a kind of waste of money :I

Edit: BB you were faster xD

I still think it's immensely stupid to have to spend >$1,000 to play a few $40 games. It dosen't matter that then you'll have the equipment, because then a few years later it's obsolete and you have to spend even more money....

I hate PC gaming.

It's the perfect example of capitalism! (Does not want to start another argument though...)

Seriously now, If you have the equipment, you can play Crysis now. But, If you can play Crysis on all Very High (highest, which can be done with a triple 9800GTX à 250$ each) with 4x AA, you're certainly ahead. A console will stay the same, no matter what, and doesn't develop better graphics over time, unless you buy a new console.It's the same as Macs. The OS is built for the system, not the system built for the OS, which becomes a problem when you want to shoot higher, with more features, that will take up more memory. If we weren't prepared to sacrifice some money for upgrades, we would still be in the "768KB should be enough for and household" phase, as it halts progress. This also happened in the Middle East (not recently, but in the middle ages...) The western civilization was far inferior to the Islamic culture, which excelled in things like astronomy, typography, trade, graphics editing... Yet when they reached some sort of peak, they apparently stopped caring, and found their way of life as it was sufficient, making very little progress, while the western countries where exploring the new world, importing exotic spices, developing modern technology (steam engines, later on even electricity) Whereas the Islamic culture remained effectively passive. Simply said: Never be too happy with what you get, and always want more, as that is the core of progress.

*Stephan does not wish to insult any Muslims as retards, should you have taken it that way. I even capitalised the religion names.*