Sign in to follow this  
usedHONDA

The <off topic> thread

What do you mean? To be clear:

In my desktop, I have an empty folder that will not be deleted.

In My Documents, I have a folder for the program with all it's files in.

I have an idea of what you mean, however, and I shall try it.

vista: OK. However, I think it's sorted now.

Every now and again, when you try to delete a file, Windows refuses to and comes up with that error message so that's why you should reboot and then delete.

It's not always (but quite often it is... ) Windows' fault.

If it is Windows at fault, you can use Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) to kill explorer.exe, then restart it. If it's not Windows, you can use Process Explorer, which is basically a more powerful version of Task Manager to force whatever program is preventing the deletion of the file or folder to release the "handle" that it has on it, thereby allowing you to delete it.

Of course, a reboot will almost always fix it too, but sometimes, at least for me, rebooting is simply not an option.

OK, it's working now, just one thing: I cannot delete my Recycle Bin icon! I've done My Computer, Documents and Network PLaces, but Recycle Bin will not leave! ARGH!

You could also simply right-click your screen, and turn off "show desktop icons" in one of the submenu's...

Heh, for some reason, while trying to start writing one of my pathetic stories, I accidentally came up with this pathetic paragraph:

While everyone else went off to sit in organized groups to talk about organized things, Sky sat, completely alone, and waited for his organized lessons to start again, while eating his organized lunch. It was because he was so disorganized that none of the organized people would talk to him about organized things. But his disorganisation helped to organize one of the most organized events in the history of organisations.

I don't have the slightest idea how I came up with this, I don't even remember typing it.

@Rubrica: If you ever run into this problem again you can just use this little program.

Unlocker

It works like a charm ;)

jake2k youre my hero :shock: you jsut saved me spending more and more days and hours trying to delete three icons :D lol :D

interfering with the other side is another, and one to be strongly avoided.

I just realized; does this mean that I'm not allowed to talk to Emelia? Because in my opinion, I have every right to talk to her.

And also, my idea about the Oujia board was a joke.

Wow, many pages back.

Everyone has their opinion, that's mine. Nothing untoward to you or Amelia.

And I'm glad the Oujia board was a joke, but that's based on the same opinion.

EDIT: you're from Southampton? I'm thinking of university there. Or Bristol as that's also taking my fancy. Even though it's still my first year at college, we have to start seriously deliberating our choices for post-college plans, only because our UCAS* applications have to be in early next college-year. And I always leave stuff until the last minute so it'd be better to think now than later, cavorting with my future.

*Universities & Colleges Admissions Service.

Yes, I would have posted it earlier, but I forgot.

ALso, it's "E", not "A". I'm picky like that. I don't know how I know, I just do. Partly because instead of the name "E-mee-lee-a" popping into my head, I interpreted it as "E-me-lee-a".

ALso, it's "E", not "A". I'm picky like that. I don't know how I know, I just do. Partly because instead of the name "E-mee-lee-a" popping into my head, I interpreted it as "E-me-lee-a".
Terribly sorry. I know an Amelia you see, so the A rolls off my fingers.

And I edited my last post, so for your eyes:

...you're from Southampton? I'm thinking of university there. Or Bristol as that's also taking my fancy. Even though it's still my first year at college, we have to start seriously deliberating our choices for post-college plans, only because our UCAS* applications have to be in early next college-year. And I always leave stuff until the last minute so it'd be better to think now than later, cavorting with my future.

*Universities & Colleges Admissions Service.

Yes, I visited the Southampton University quite recently. Very nice place, I was attending a lecture on plants (I can't think of the -pology word for it at the moment). They have the most absird mascot, although I am doubtful as to whether it was actually their mascot, or just a weird thing they'd created for when the junior schools came here. His name was Proffessor Fluffy, and basically he was just a ball of purple fluff with a mortar board on. I never thought to reasearch whether he was actually their mascot... either way, it's a nice place.

EDIT: maryjogirl.JPG That's him. :D

(I can't think of the -pology word for it at the moment).
At the moment, I can only think of ecology, though that does lack a 'p'.

For Southampton, I'm thinking of either Archaeology and Geography (BA), or the Geology (BSc or MGeol) course.

For Bristol, it remains pretty much a likewise tree of subjects: Archaeological and Anthropological Sciences (BSc or MSci), Geology (BSc), or Environmental Geoscience (BSc or MSci).

If was to carry on English, though, I would opt for Leeds for their English Language (BA) course, because bar Cambridge, Leeds provides one of Britain's leading English departments. Plus, Tolkien studied there, and he's a linguistic genius.

In other news, I finally made the jump from WMP10 to WMP11. I'm a notoriously late-adopter of new technology. :P

Ugh. I haven't used WiMPy in years. iTunes FTW!! :-)