The <off topic> thread

Sidenote: why is 'proven' a word, but not 'disproven?' Weird...
Because it's part of the English Language and that has no sane reason.

Both 'disproven' and 'disproved' would be used in the past tense, and both are quite viable participles of 'prove', so... it's just one of those quirks I suppose. I do prefer the sound of disproven over disproved, it has to be said.

You've got me on an unknown, pyrochild, I shall have to study this further to find the absent reason.

I'm adding "pyrochilded" to my Firefox dictionary.

pyrochilde - v. to perform an action with a devil-may-care attitude.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Tonight, 7:30 GMT there is a showcase at City College in Norwich, Norfolk, England. Do feel free to come alond if you want, if you came over now, you could keep me company which would be rather nice of you.

So, I'll see you all here then ;)

dA

Son, someday you will make a girl happy for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you & be with men that are ten times

better than you can imagine. These men are called musicians. :D

Tonight, 7:30 GMT there is a showcase at City College in Norwich, Norfolk, England. Do feel free to come alond if you want, if you came over now, you could keep me company which would be rather nice of you.

Don't think I can get there in an hour and a quarter, but thanks... ;-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

Don't think I can get there in an hour and a quarter, but thanks... ;-)

Nor could I! (how far is Norfolk from Kent????) :wink:

Apologies I could not make it, Matt, Norwich is a little far afield of a Monday evening.

-------------------------------------------------

In regards to Rick's latest blog post (Just Add More Cowbell), I believe that Craig's suggestion is an excellent one. To expand upon it:

- people will immediately see what extra is available atop what is included in the main download;

• - this could reduce the daunting feeling some might have when presented with the amass of plugins in the Plugin Forum if they can get a pack off the website;

- it could wean 'cowbell' features into readily available downloads, so it is there, but not in there as such;

• - this still maintains the choice available to the user: do they want these plugins/packs or not? Instead of forcing it upon them (no offence intended);

- Rick, you have batted around other money-making ideas, one of which was selling plugin packs, this could be the free alternative. Okay, whilst it may not further your profit, it is something you have clearly thought about for us users, downloadable packs;

- you could make these the more regular updates you wish for - it would still give you the chance to code towards the 3.xx series, but not necessarily directly towards it;

• - you could still (somehow) derive traffic from this;

I'm not too keen on the last idea myself, the derivation of traffic from additional packs, but you could still add packs to the website the same time as bug-fix releases, perhaps with a reminder of their availability in the update and/or installation dialog. You could code for the 3.xx series, release more effects without overloading Paint.NET into tackiness, release bug-fixing (which you yourself mentioned their constant presence), and still have time to code towards 4.0, which would happen regardless of the above.

Just some ideas. Nothing refined, or even substantial as of yet.

Here a game idea which is also bound to get DISAPPROVED:

Name: PDN - what does it stand for???

The purpose of the game is to create an acronym for the letters PDN which already stand for PaintDotNet.

Here is an example of what someone could make: waffles Dominating Nappies!

So tell me what do you think of this bound-to-get-disapproved-game?

The purpose of the game is to create an acronym for the letters PDN which already stand for PaintDotNet.

I think it would be:

Pretty

Darned

Neat

I think it would be:

Pretty

Darned

Neat

Thx for your comments - if i get more positive feedback, i might just do it.

Painting

Darn

Napkins

Photoshop

Doesn't

Nearly satisfy me as much as Paint.net :D

so do you think i should go ahead with it ...?

I'm not sure. I can't really think of much ideas for what PDN could stand for.

Go with your heart. :P

---- Gallery | Sig Tutorial | deviantART | Sig Videos | PhotoBucket ----

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

Please

Do

Not.

;-) Just kidding. I don't care, but just let it die if it's not a hit. (No bumping)

Myrddin's Post about Rick Brewster's new blog post about Cowbell

Personally, I dont think we need to sit here and pressure Rick into making downloadable plugin packs or a plugin hosting site. We, as a community, should come together and begin developement on a plugin hosting and tutorial hosting site for possible integration with GetPaint.NET. The best products, imo, are products that are positively and largely influenced, and even sometimes created, by the fans and community of the product. For example, look at some linux distros such as Ubuntu. A powerful, stable operating system all at the hands of a community of talented people coming together. If one man (with the aid of a few) can develop Paint.NET, then why can't we as a community come together and develop something just as great to aid Rick?*

*Ends rant/ heroic statement

signature.png

'cause we're lazy?

Well, yeah, besides that.