The <off topic> thread

Why would he? It doesn't really matter all that much...

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Guys, can you rate my web page please!

What do you think of it (bear in mind, I'm only 11)?! I designed all by myself using "raw" HTML + CSS. Of course, BoltBait deserves a big thanks for his free HTML editor which was superb. :D:D

I've only just finished the home page so the links on the navigation bar won't work! (in other words, this page is still under construction!) Also, bear in mind that this page may go down soon for more work.

Here's the link: http://www.fazalmahmood.talktalk.net/Homepage.html

I beg of you to use FF and IE to view this page because when you use FF, a little bug appears which doesn't on IE!

PS: Try and guess my ISP! It's fairly easy if you look at the link!!!!!

You could make the table transparent, and maybe sharpen the text up a little

You've got a point, sometimes the text looks weird - the font used is Calibri.

By the way, i don't understand what you mean by tables, i didn't use tables - i did try to get transparency on the page but i got a bit stuck so i gave up on that . . . (for now)

You could make the navigation bar level with the content.

I agree, but for some reason, I feel like puttings anywhere (and it tests my CSS skills 8) )

Hey Vista?:

I took a look. I like the overall thought; there are a couple of things that concern me, though.

1. Your background is made for 1024x768. With the proliferation of the 1280x800 widescreen monitor, you should think about people like me when you're making the background.

2. The background image looks like the Vista background image. That's copyrighted. Be careful. :-)

3. Your content div's (the nav bar and the text box) should probably have borders all the way around.

4. I think that the suggestion above that you make the divs slightly transparent is a good one. I found this code to make the element 50% opaque, if you'd like to use it. Just call this as an attribute for the element in question in your CSS.

filter:alpha(opacity=50);
-moz-opacity:0.5;
-khtml-opacity: 0.5;
opacity: 0.5;

The three values refer to different browsers. If you'd prefer to have it more opaque, just mess with the numbers: bring the 50 closer to 100 and the 0.5s closer to 1.0.

5. You might try making the size of your div conform more closely to the amount of text you have.

6. In a related matter, you can control the size of your website to be less than 800px wide to accommodate people with 800x600 resolutions. It also provides a cleaner look. Just throw all your content into one big div, set it to the right width and to position: auto;. Then it will center the page, no matter how big the monitor, while still keeping the layout intact.

7. You shouldn't use Calibri. People who don't have Office 2007 won't have that font. Or, if you prefer, make sure that your CSS calls font-family: Calibri, Trebuchet MS, Arial, sans-serif; (or something like it) to make sure it doesn't break into a serif font on machines without Calibri installed.

8. The W3C validator likes your site on a pure coding level, though it gives a warning (see here); however, it has several problems with your CSS that you might want to take a look at (see here). For instance, it wants you to use hex codes, since some named colors you use (like skyblue) break on a few browsers. Paint.NET will tell you the hex value of a color in the "More..." on the color window.

Hope this helps!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

the longest word in english is 189,819 letters long....

Complete and utter bull...

Debatable.

I'm what some people call "a stubborn jack***." Arguing with me about pretty much anything that I've already decided on is only a waste of your time and mine. My views simply do not change that easily, unless you actually have real, verifiable proof.

Sure, that word is a word. Sure, it's a bloody long word. But the matter of whether or not it can be considered a part of the English language is entirely based on opinion. And my opinion is that's it's bull. :D

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

I never set out to change your mind, I would not dare, but rather to give evidence* that such a word existed. Nor did I say that the word was a certifiable 'word' as such, which is why I responded with 'debatable'.

;)

*which, too, is debatable. No offence to Wikipedia, but people do have their opinions on the citation of some articles.