The <off topic> thread

* CMD says The GIMP is better

From a purely features-based standpoint, many of the things for which new PDN users are asking are available in The GIMP: customizable brushes, importable PhotoShop brushes, Blur brush, "Liquify" distortion, anti-aliased selections, soft selections, editable text layers, individually editable layer channels, et cetera. The GIMP's downfall is its UI, which is admittedly lacking, but not impossible to learn.

However, according to WikiPedia (and MMI's site), The GIMP is scheduled to receive a major UI overhaul by MMIWorks for the next version (2.6.x).

The main thing is, The GIMP has been around longer than PDN. I used an old version (1.2.4, if I'm not mistaken) on an old distro of Linux I had installed once, and back then, The GIMP had quite a few "missing" features of its own. With the coming of PDN4, it sounds like Paint.NET will be able to compete fiercely on a features basis, but for now, The GIMP is my editor of choice. Nothing against PDN, but I love my Alpha Masks and my Layer Guides. :wink:

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Anyone care to try and solve this puzzle?

Find a 10-digit number, where the first digit expresses the count of number 1 in this 10-digit number, the second digit would then express the count of number 2 in the 10-digit number, and so on. Lastly tenth digit would be the count of zeros in the 10-digit number.

That guy is a disgrace to robbers everywhere.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Look like the poll I posted got locked. That's what I get for making fun of BoltBait. It was harmless fun though. At least BoltBait won't edit the thread and reverse the joke on me.

To bad he couldn't see it. :D

---- Gallery | Sig Tutorial | deviantART | Sig Videos | PhotoBucket ----

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

He will. And then you'll be sorry....

I guess it's war between me and BoltBait. :D

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

Look like the poll I posted got locked. That's what I get for making fun of BoltBait. It was harmless fun though. At least BoltBait won't edit the thread and reverse the joke on me.

To bad he couldn't see it. :D

Be prepared Darkshock91, be careful, you never know what BoltBait will do to you. :)

Darn!

I just realized I can't change the poll so BoltBait won't see what I did.

I'm worried that he'll do something to me when I'm offline. :(

* CMD says The GIMP is better

From a purely features-based standpoint, many of the things for which new PDN users are asking are available in The GIMP: customizable brushes, importable PhotoShop brushes, Blur brush, "Liquify" distortion, anti-aliased selections, soft selections, editable text layers, individually editable layer channels, et cetera. The GIMP's downfall is its UI, which is admittedly lacking, but not impossible to learn.

However, according to WikiPedia (and MMI's site), The GIMP is scheduled to receive a major UI overhaul by MMIWorks for the next version (2.6.x).

The main thing is, The GIMP has been around longer than PDN. I used an old version (1.2.4, if I'm not mistaken) on an old distro of Linux I had installed once, and back then, The GIMP had quite a few "missing" features of its own. With the coming of PDN4, it sounds like Paint.NET will be able to compete fiercely on a features basis, but for now, The GIMP is my editor of choice. Nothing against PDN, but I love my Alpha Masks and my Layer Guides. :wink:

Frojo says GIMP is better. Frojo also says GIMP + PdN = 2D graphic awsomeness, and much better than photoshop. Frojo also says GIMP + PdN + Blender = Graphic godliness.

And Frojo also says Photoshop = huge, slow, expensive, and full of pointless things that do the exact same stuff as some of the other things in photoshop. You dont need 5 things to do the exact same thing.

I'm still alive!

I guess it's war between me and BoltBait. :D

>_> Be slightly mature about it. Your starting to be the typical ignoarnt of authority teenager who gets kicks of the lamest things.

I'm actually a lot smarter than I act here. I'm just joking around with BoltBait.

Besides........you spelled "ignorant" wrong. :mrgreen:

Anyways, in other news, I've DL'ed a trial of PS to see what it's like compared to PDN, and you can expect some pictures comparing PDN and PS, and then a little comparison review.

Ill give my review, seeing how I used photoshop everyday last semester.

Overall, PdN > PS.

Photoshop:

Pros: customizable brushes, a good ammount of filters to work from, different color modes to work with, liquify, takes up a ton of space, and all the power you will ever need.

Cons: Not the best UI, slow startup, too many useless features, poorly orginized tools window, many additional filters cost extra, some filters are terrible (ex. Clouds. You cant change the scale, or anything at all. This might be fixed in a modern version, but not the version I was using), way too pricy.

PdN:

Pros: easy to learn, lots of effects, great UI, takes up little space, fast, freeware.

Cons: No support for custom brushes, lack of some blend modes, not enough power (yet).

I'm still alive!

Anyways, in other news, I've DL'ed a trial of PS to see what it's like compared to PDN, and you can expect some pictures comparing PDN and PS, and then a little comparison review.

Ill give my review, seeing how I used photoshop everyday last semester.

Overall, PdN > PS.

Photoshop:

Pros: customizable brushes, a good ammount of filters to work from, different color modes to work with, liquify, takes up a ton of space, and all the power you will ever need.

Cons: Not the best UI, slow startup, too many useless features, poorly orginized tools window, many additional filters cost extra, way too pricy.

PdN:

Pros: easy to learn, lots of effects, great UI, takes up little space, fast, freeware.

Cons: No support for custom brushes, lack of some blend modes, not enough power (yet).

I agree with Mr Frojo, the PS UI is "messy". Trust me, I've got it on my pC.

Sure, Photoshop is better than the GIMP is better than Paint.NET. But again I say: The "Free" factor and the ease-of-use of the UI reverses the entire equation.

Somewhere I explained it thus:

Paint.NET is a hamburger. Photoshop is a filet mignon. Sure, it's tastier. But it's more expensive, and harder to eat. Sometimes you just want a hamburger. 'Cuz you hungry. And it cheap. You can have two!

from the past>

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

It has been suggested before (whether in jest or not) that posts in the Overflow should not add to your post count. I think this should now be implemented.

v An excellent open–source strategy game—highly recommended.

"I wish I had never been born," she said. "What are we born for?"

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

I agree, because post count pretty much means PDn Knowledge (I know, debateable), and if it's due to posts in the Overflow, which have absolutely nothing to do with PDN, then it doesn't make much sense...

"pyrochild, you're my favorite person ever. We should go snowboarding some time."~ 007 Nab. Ish.

PDN Gallery | I Made a Deviant Art!

It has been suggested before (whether in jest or not) that posts in the Overflow should not add to your post count. I think this should now be implemented.

I completely disagree. There are a lot of intelligent and good discussions here.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

[ dA Paint.NET Chat :: Yata on dA ]