The <off topic> thread

Very well executed, david 8). Although, how is The Doctor supposed to get in when there is no lock or handle? :wink:

...It's The Doctor! :P

Of course, what was I thinking?! :slaps forehead:

It's the back door...just a fire escape... :-)

Ah, I see now, and it does make sense; a whole universe worth in an ~eight-foot wooden box is a recipe for a fire hazard. :P.

I still don't get how David could betray us......

Never mind. Like my new avatar?

No no, I'm not betraying you! I'm...er...spying on the enemy! :twisted:

Don't worry, PdN is still the most fun to use. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

This is not a request for technical support, I'm just saying...

Strange happenings which I can't explain, I have assumptions but no hard reasoning. Back at my old school I had the PDN installation folder copied on my network space so I could use it at will (though they eventually prevented the use of USB drives so I was bound to 3.05 for a while), when moving up to college I thought I could do the same. So I did. But it doesn't work when I open PDN up from my network space but does when I open it directly from my USB. To me I've never encountered something like this before, there is nothing preventing me from doing one than the other and the college is up to date with their .NET Frameworks otherwise even my USB 'version' wouldn't start, so it's a puzzling situation. The only problem I have now is that it's eventually going to wear my USB down to a state of worthlessness and CD's are not an option. I'm assuming, and I stress assuming, it could be for the fact that we as students only have a limited privileges account, or it could be some network setting preventing me from doing as I wish.

I'll be trying the portable version of Inkscape on Monday to see if the problem is persistent with other software, I'm not holding my breath, though.

I know my college prevents executing files from the server...maybe that's the problem?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

The IT people at my college prevent you from doing much on the college system. You can browse the net (on IE6 :evil:), & use word & I think that's about it.

There are a few computers that have Reason & Adobe Audition installed on them but as far as I know there's only 1 room in college with them on.

I very much doubt that my college would let you install something onto one of the PCs, even if you managed it, you'd then have to find the right machine again... :?

dA

Son, someday you will make a girl happy for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you & be with men that are ten times

better than you can imagine. These men are called musicians. :D

We have access to My Computer at college, which you didn't have back at secondary, making the use USB drives and so forth much easier. Also, we can make use of Photoshop, Illustrator, various Corel Draw programs and the usual suspects of Office applications, basic photo editors and of course the interweb, just like you we have IE6 - they could at least upgrade to IE7 or at the very least install the Live Search Toolbar for tabbed browsing.

Photoshop and Illustrator are only available to the Graphic course's laptops and the computers on the second floor library because combined they are 'too expensive to apply for licences for all 500 computers within college'. The only downside to the expanded privileges from my previous school is that CD's are not allowed, apparently because you could inadvertently infect the network with a virus; dare to think what would happen if USB drives could do the same...

My school's IT department (UITS) uses a program called Deep Freeze that automatically reimages every computer at midnight unless it's logged on. If it is, it reimages the computer as soon as that user logs out. Makes them a lot more lenient :-)

My schools computers have something like that, if not that program exactly. Everyday, changes made to the computer are gone. This REALLY sucks in my graphics art class, because photoshop takes long enough to open. Now it has to open, and update every day when you start it up, making the process at least 3x longer.

I'm still alive!

This REALLY sucks in my graphics art class, because photoshop takes long enough to open. Now it has to open, and update every day when you start it up, making the process at least 3x longer.

Precisely the situation we're in and it doesn't help we have laptops for Graphics which are solely on wireless internet connection which makes that 3x wait even longer, that added onto the five minutes of logon time. I would have thought with this year having a new network and new computers installed things like this would be much smoother, they just blame it on 'teething' issues. My old school had said teething problems for two years and this college appears to be heading the same way, sadly.

OK, I've been busy recently, so I haven't been keeping up with the Off-Topic. I read through the new pages today, and I see no one has caught uH on this one, so I'll gladly take the honors. :wink:

Please, if you ever find my exact address, don't send death treats. It'll only add to the other ones I throw away.

What are those? Like, poisoned Shortbread Cookies? :P

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

How did I MISS that?!? That's awesome. :-D

I got banned from the NM forums for a day because I told the forum members to stop spamming....with lots of profantity.

Which, suprisngly, I'm glad about, I couldn't stand that place, it was full of people who couldn't spell and who couldn't understand what no spam meant. And also their maturity was mostly of that of a 6 year old.