The <off topic> thread

already had one 2.5 feet wide...

:shock:

i got a piece of land, about the same amount of area that your house takes up

:shock: :shock:

That is Über fantastic, a piece of land?! Wow! Got any plans for it?

Why, thank you Helio :). Does it come off that badly?

Apparently it does to Google... :D

And Google has never been wrong thus far :D.

Happy Birthday Ben!

I just realized something. Bob joined these forums exactly two years ago today!

throws some confetti :AddNoise:

gives bob a balloon :LassoTool:

and starts handing out dews! :mtdew:

High five bob! :PanTool:

EDIT: In 1 hour and 4 minutes, it would be the exact time he joined as well.

I'm still alive!

Cool new thing about phpbb 3. Better emails from pm's. Old emails would be:

Hello Mr Frojo,

You have received a new private message to your account on "Paint.NET" and you

have requested that you be notified on this event. You can view your new message

by clicking on the following link:

http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com/privm ... lder=inbox

Remember that you can always choose not to be notified of new messages by

changing the appropriate setting in your profile.

--

Thanks, The Management

New emails are:

Hello Mr Frojo,

You have received a new private message from "who sent it to you" to your account on

"Paint.NET" with the following subject:

title of the pm

You can view your new message by clicking on the following link:

ucp.php?i=pm&folder=inbox

You have requested that you be notified on this event, remember that you

can always choose not to be notified of new messages by changing the

appropriate setting in your profile.

It shows who sent it and what the title of the pm they sent was. Its kinda nice.

I'm still alive!

Transparency.... did you know that IE6 does not support partial transparency?

This is what IE6 shows:

t_lh-web.png

You might want to check this out:

http://www.w3schools.com./css/css_image ... arency.asp

I'm not sure whether IE6 supports it though; I haven't had time to try.

Anyway, I love the pattern... :D

v An excellent open–source strategy game—highly recommended.

"I wish I had never been born," she said. "What are we born for?"

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

*cough*whocares*cough*

@T_Lh: a 1280x1024 JPEG background is NOT something to do.

It's a scary trend started by X-mas_tree_sites fans on twitter (well, it's where I seen it first) and it's a bad thing at both ends, for the user and the developer.

If you can, use a (PNG) image for the blue background made seamless, and another for the "flowers".

I prefer extra divs breaking semantics and content/design separation that 1 MB background pictures.

What about you, Dan?

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

@Helio: Oh man, how embarassing! I had completely forgotten about IE6 (although some people would regard that as a good thing ;))! I'll try about the filter property and see if that works any better...although it's going to be fun to pinpoint all of the css tags that need to have that attribute added. The way it works now is that there's a nice GUI for all the elements and if you want to you can add custom css. I will try and do something about that!

@Bob: Yeah, I was using a 987 KB PNG file for a background :oops: until I noticed that it was taking a long time to download...By compressing it into a JPEG (and sacrificing quality) I was able to get it under 100 KB. As far as why using that large of a file size is bad...could you be more specific? What I think you're saying is that I should split up my background into several divs and have them load seperately (so while one's loading the other can display), but how's that any better than tables? :? And I can't change the HTML for the page anyway...alas and alack.

Thanks for comments! You guys rock. :)

@Bob: As far as why using that large of a file size is bad...could you be more specific?

Well, you're answering to yourself...

First:

I noticed that it was taking a long time to download

And two:

and sacrificing quality...

So you lose a lot of quality, and it's still big and long to d/l.

I should split up my background into several divs [...] but how's that any better than tables? :?

Ho, I see what you mean. I'm not saying to you to "slice up" the page, making big square and do a collage, like floor tiles!

Look at your bg. You've a radial gradient... Heck, a radial gradient is maybe not the easiest this to split up...

At first sight I thought it was a simple linear gradient from top to bottom. In this case, it will be easy to make a repeatable 1px-wide gradient, say half or 3/4 a page (so ~600 or 800px), and add the "flowers" on top of it.

So it's still not perfectly the same, but it's still faster, and still a PNG [insert benefits of PNG here]

Dan might help you further in your quest of the radial gradient.[1]

And I can't change the HTML for the page anyway...alas and alack.

That's what I feared. :(

Thanks for comments! You guys rock. :)

You're welcome, in spite of my criticism, it's still anzsum'.

[1] but still, AFAIK compression would be better in PNG if the radial gradient will be alone on the picture, without the white "noise". Same for the shapes, as there's only one color / range of color.

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

*cough*whocares*cough*

*cough*Idon't*cough*

No, it's not that big a problem, considering that it's just a blog. If it were a business site, then you'd have some coding to do. Such as utilizing the Cascading property of CSS by using some child-selectors, or CSS2 (basically anything IE can't understand). Thus, IE has something it can work with, but all the advanced code is channeled to advanced browsers.

That makes IE users happy, and FF/Safari/Opera users happy, and Bob happy, and me happy, and... you get the point. :D

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

As far as why using that large of a file size is bad...could you be more specific?

@Bob:Ah...I was asking why a 1280x1024 image was bad...I agree that repeating backgrounds are much better...I guess I was trying to sacrifice file-size for awesome graphics :P.

Thank you for your indepth response! You are correct, I was using a lovely radial gradient (fading from light green to very light purple on the outside) and can't really chop that up very well.

Unless of course I use a smaller radial gradient in the middle and set the background color of the page to be something...Hm...but even then I'm not sure how I would be able to overlay "flowers" without altering the structure of the page. And even if I could alter the structure of the page, I'm not sure how I would be able to fix the "flowers" layer over the background layer so it doesn't move as the page is scrolled! *takes aspirin for headache*

@Helio: Now I remembered why I didn't use the filter property to set opacity...because if I did then I lost other things as well. In the old, tabled layout they used to use, using filter would set the opacity of the entire post (!) which couldn't be overwritten later on (bah humbug!) for some random reason. So alas, I think I'm stuck with using transparent PNGs for now unless I figure out a better way. Thanks for the help! :)

EDIT:

I am 1337!!! 8)

l337.png

@Helio: Now I remembered why I didn't use the filter property to set opacity...because if I did then I lost other things as well. In the old, tabled layout they used to use, using filter would set the opacity of the entire post (!) which couldn't be overwritten later on (bah humbug!) for some random reason. So alas, I think I'm stuck with using transparent PNGs for now unless I figure out a better way. Thanks for the help! :)

Ah. Got it. :)

EDIT:

I am 1337!!! 8)

l337.png

We already knew that... :P

I was adding a "friend" on here (which is a cool feature, BTW) and I got this:

useful.png

Which operation? WTH? That is the most useless question I've ever seen...

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I'm back!

Over the last few days, I've been with a long-time friend and his family, but that part isn't important. The important part is that I got to play with his Cannon EOS Digital Rebel XT! I'll upload some of the pics I took later. You should see one of the lenses he has... it's 10 inches deep! :shock:

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

This thread is moving way to slow... we may not hit 300 until tomorrow!

Anyway, I'm working on a wallpaper concept that is guaranteed to get views, downloads, and favorites. I may need the help of a Yahoo! Widget coder (it's not just an image that I'll be working on). It won't be very minimalistic, but it will certainly be user-friendly!

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb